Why-Because I'm A Black Man In America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obama already stepped in it by calling the police dept actions "stupid" while being uninformed of the circumstances of this case thereby showing his own prejudices.

<>

:lmao: but your own prejudices aren't showing at all...

"angry black man with a hard on for white cops"

Yours are shining fucking brighter than the light on top of the Luxor.

Disturbing the peace falls under disorderly conduct, and by coming outside and yelling and insulting a police officer that was calmly doing his job would be 'disorderly' by no stretch in the word's meaning, notwithstanding insulting the police officer's mother at the same time.

That officer, as soon as he had verified Mr. Gates' identity, had absolutely no further business being on his property. What duty could Mr. Gates have been obstructing by getting irate with a police officer who was walking away?

And you do realize that the disorderly conduct charge was thrown out, right? If it was such a legitimate arrest to make, why isn't the charge sticking?

Surely you can wrap your brain around that legal concept.

<>

I get the feeling that I just commented on your incessant need to patronize and insult others in here. It needs to stop.

:lmao: but your own prejudices aren't showing at all...

"angry black man with a hard on for white cops"

Yours are shining fucking brighter than the light on top of the Luxor.

It's easy to see the professor has issues the way he went to the race card and tore into the police officer.

What you need to do is ask yourself *honestly* (if you can) is would the professor have treated a black officer the same way?

Would he have chased a black officer out of his house and insulted him the same way he did the white officer?

The answer is no.

<>

That officer, as soon as he had verified Mr. Gates' identity, had absolutely no further business being on his property.

And you do realize that the disorderly conduct charge was thrown out, right? If it was such a legitimate arrest to make, why isn't the charge sticking?

He was leaving and as he was the professor started insulting him, he became disorderly and was disturbing the peace-that's why he was arrested.

Charges are thrown out for a myriad of reasons, that doesn't mean the charge wasn't justified.

<>

Because you know how those blacks think. Heck, you've probably met one or two in your day.

You make my skin crawl.

I grew up next to Watts California-in the city of South Gate.

My graduating class of 1980 was 50% Hispanic, 35% Black 10% White 5% Asian.

The majority of my friends and school yard chums were non-white-not that I was keeping track.

So try again.

<>

With your ability to read minds, know exactly how things went down without reading shit, and your vast knowledge of the law, you should think about becoming a lawyer.

I do have a 130 IQ.

:)

Wow, 29 years ago you knew some minorities.

Break down the demographics of the area you live in now for me. Not that you're keeping track.

I never kept track of my friends' ethnic backgrounds , nor do I now. I did and do keep track of their characters and attitudes.

I hope you do the same.

And for those that want to invoke the 'thin blue line' theory shows only that they have yet to evolve from their own self imposed paradigms.

<>

Do you seriously believe this doesn't happen? I've dated a cop off and on for over 5 years now. Trust me, it happens.

And the black cop would be far more likely to side with his co-worker than with the person being arrested.

Seems like a case where both sides should have calmed down, taken a step back, and thought through their actions.

Agreed.

My mother was asked for identification a few years ago outside of our house. Her and another person were moving boxes outside of the house. I guess it looked suspicious, because a cop stopped and asked her what was going on. She explained the situation. He asked for ID, she provided it. Also, when an alarm goes off in the middle of the night at a house, the cops come and will ask for ID.

I'm not naive enough to think that racial profiling doesn't occur today. But I honestly do not believe this was a case of it.

^ I'm not sure whether you have 'disorderly conduct' charges in Australia...in the US they date back to the mid-19th century, when street riots and brawls between immigrants and native-born workers over labor were common in our cities, and police wanted authorization to stop them before they started by breaking up crowds and hauling away instigating individuals whose words and gestures were rapidly attracting dangerous forms of attention. The idea was a good one from a public safety standpoint, but since what constitutes 'disorderly' is by nature vague and heavily subject to police discretion, these charges have often come into conflict with First Amendment rights. Yelling at police, while obviously unhelpful and often wholly unreasonable as well, isn't in itself a crime but, unfortunately, the vagueness of these statutes makes it easier than it should be for police to finagle an arrest out of situations which don't warrant it by making a case that the person's behavior somehow constituted a threat to public order and therefore had to be stopped. And it's no skin off their nose if the charges wind up getting dropped later.
sometimes the truth is better left unsaid by the leader of the free world
That was precisely my point.

What Obama actually said yesterday was,
...I want to make clear that in my choice of words I think I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sergeant Crowley specifically—and I could have calibrated those words differently. And I told this to Sergeant Crowley. I continue to believe, based on what I have heard, that there was an overreaction in pulling Professor Gates out of his home to the station. I also continue to believe, based on what I heard, that Professor Gates probably overreacted as well.
In other words, "On second thought, seeing as how I'm President, I really need to avoid things like publically applying the word 'stupid' to police actions." Ordinary citizens posting on an Internet forum don't need to worry about that sort of scrutiny, nor are we subject to expectations that we'll "calibrate" our words and actions so as to smooth as many feathers at once on both sides of a public conflict as we can.

in regards to what diamond said, and adding some of my personal experience:

my demographics are something like 80% black.

sometimes i have to go check people's id badges at the airport (they are all black) most of them get pissy when i ask them for it, and get REAL pissy when i challenge them about being in an area they arent supposed to be.

whenever a black co-worker challenges them they dont say shit or joke around about it, but when i do (being a white boy not from the island) i guess it's like i shouldnt be asking them anything.

but, i dont really care either way. it doesnt bother me one bit. they dont like me asking, tough shit :lol:

Originally i meant to say it would have been better if Obama would have kept his opinion to himself being that a) his postition and b) his lack of knowlege of the circumstances-but he couldn't do it.

^

What Obama actually said yesterday was,

Yes that was yesterday, and tomorrow we'll see how Obama continues to calibrate and evolve in his thought processes and how'll he'll parse his words next-depending on the political fall out.

pass the popcorn

<>

I don't necessarily feel that the incident was racially motivated. What we have here is a man who was probably tired and a little cranky from travelling who returned home to find, to his further annoyance, that his door wouldn't open, and that he needed assistance to get in. Then the police arrived to investigate whether he was a burglar, and he probably didn't show the degree of deference that the cop would have preferred (in his place, I doubt I would have, either). So, the cranky academic took offense to what happened, probably wondering if it was because of his race, maybe feeling embarassed that all this was taking place in view of his neighbours. What I don't understand is why this resulted in an arrest. Cops are trained in conflict management, they know how to deescalate situations. All the officer needed to do was to explain that he was only doing his job, and that if it had been an actual break in, Gates would have been appreciative. And then he should have left the premises, end of story.

While I can certainly imagine Gates being angry, I find it hard to believe that a respected Harvard-employed academic would resort to "yo momma" type insults toward the officer, that just makes no sense whatsoever. I dunno, this whole thing sounds to me like the cop was a bit of a hothead who refused to take Gates' perspective, and did nothing to try to mitigate the situation.

Originally i meant to say it would have been better if Obama would have kept his opinion to himself being that a) his postition and b) his lack of knowlege of the circumstances-but he couldn't do it.

Obama was asked a direct question. He answered it, quite thoughtfully, I might add. Have you actually listened to his full response?

Regarding b), you're in the exact same situation, and I think you're misinterpreting Obama's words. He said he didn't have all the facts, and guess what? That applies to everyone who was not present when it happened.

The difference in this case is that Obama prefaced his statement by admitting that he can't know exactly what happened and exactly why it happened (since he wasn't there when it happened), whereas you come in here and simply tell us why it happened, despite that same lack of knowledge.

Obama was asked a direct question. He answered it,
The difference in this case is that Obama prefaced his statement by admitting that he can't know exactly what happened and exactly why it happened (since he wasn't there when it happened), whereas you come in here and simply tell us why it happened, despite that same lack of knowledge.

No, the difference is that I read the police report, listened to the officers who were there and also the professor's version; all witnesses at scene, and based my decision on the preponderance of the evidence released thus far; Obama put his foot in his mouth without knowing the facts and has been trying to recover ever since.

Therein lies the difference.

<>

I don't necessarily feel that the incident was racially motivated. What we have here is a man who was probably tired and a little cranky from travelling who returned home to find, to his further annoyance, that his door wouldn't open, and that he needed assistance to get in. Then the police arrived to investigate whether he was a burglar, and he probably didn't show the degree of deference that the cop would have preferred (in his place, I doubt I would have, either). So, the cranky academic took offense to what happened, probably wondering if it was because of his race, maybe feeling embarassed that all this was taking place in view of his neighbours. What I don't understand is why this resulted in an arrest. Cops are trained in conflict management, they know how to deescalate situations. All the officer needed to do was to explain that he was only doing his job, and that if it had been an actual break in, Gates would have been appreciative. And then he should have left the premises, end of story.

While I can certainly imagine Gates being angry, I find it hard to believe that a respected Harvard-employed academic would resort to "yo momma" type insults toward the officer, that just makes no sense whatsoever. I dunno, this whole thing sounds to me like the cop was a bit of a hothead who refused to take Gates' perspective, and did nothing to try to mitigate the situation.

They may be releasing the recorded 911 tapes of the event and that could clear up who was a hot head or not.

The cop is known to be a seasoned professional who teaches classes against racial profiling to other police officers.

The cop was not the "hot head".

<>

Back
Top Bottom