Why-Because I'm A Black Man In America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where is that in the article you posted?

It was in a different one;

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard scholar was arrested says he fully supports how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as officers investigated a report of a burglary. Lashley says Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little bit stranger than it should have been."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said supported Crowley "100 percent."

The more that comes out, the more it appears that the police officer acted 100% appropriately.

It is unfortunate that the professor, who is obviously a very intelligent man, was swept up by his own personal prejudice against the police. Instead of thanking the officers for doing their jobs, he wound up in jail for reacting inappropriately. Yes, he carries the personal baggage of the color of his skin, but that is not an excuse for him to be able to treat the police the manner it appears that he did.

It is sad to see the Governor of MA and the President react without getting the facts first. Both good men, who it appears, may have both allowed the color of their skin to influence their comments and remarks without the facts.

The charges were dropped, so he did not act 100% appropriately. My issue is with arresting people for yelling inside their own homes.

It is unfortunate that the professor, who is obviously a very intelligent man, was swept up by his own personal prejudice against the police. Instead of thanking the officers for doing their jobs, he wound up in jail for reacting inappropriately.

Do you believe that most people, regardless of colour, would have been thanking the police officer in this situation? Once he identified himself in his home, common sense should have kicked in.

I sure as hell would have asserted my rights as soon as I produced identification and requested the police to basically get out, as they have no legal reason for remaining in the home, continuing their questioning or anything of the sort. People need to be aware of their rights, and no, we have absolutely no duty to answer any questions that the police officer is asking without cause or a warrant.

This would get tossed out of court by any judge so fast that it would make your head spin. In fact, I am sure no prosecutor would have pressed on with the charge for that reason.

Hi Dread, good to 'hear' from you. :wave:

So do you believe that the disorderly conduct statute was legitimately applied here? (And if so, why did they drop the charge?)

The charges were dropped, so he did not act 100% appropriately. My issue is with arresting people for yelling inside their own homes.

That doesn't mean a thing-there's often a myriad of reasons crimes are not prosecuted.

And he was yelling outside of his home while insulting the cop.

<>

The more that comes out, the more it appears that the police officer acted 100% appropriately.

It is unfortunate that the professor, who is obviously a very intelligent man, was swept up by his own personal prejudice against the police.

It is sad to see the Governor of MA and the President react without getting the facts first. Both good men, who it appears, may have both allowed the color of their skin to influence their comments and remarks without the facts.

Bingo.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard scholar was arrested says he fully supports how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as officers investigated a report of a burglary. Lashley says Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little bit stranger than it should have been."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said supported Crowley "100 percent."

Related links
Mass. police unions ask Obama for apology Video
Obama: Police acted 'stupidly' in scholar arrest Video
Obama eases stance on arrest of black Harvard professor
Obama says he should've 'calibrated' his remarks on arrest of black scholar, phones policeman
Cambridge, Mass., police 'deeply pained' by Obama criticism of black Harvard scholar's arrest

Photo President Barack Obama says the officers "acted stupidly." Lashley called Obama's remark "unfortunate" and said he should be allowed to take it back.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — A multiracial group of police officers on Friday stood with the white officer who arrested a prominent black Harvard scholar and asked President Barack Obama and Gov. Deval Patrick to apologize for comments the union leaders called insulting.

Obama said Wednesday that Cambridge police "acted stupidly" during the disorderly conduct arrest of his friend, Henry Louis Gates Jr., in his own home near Harvard University. Gov. Deval Patrick said Gates' arrest was "every black man's nightmare."

Dennis O'Connor, president of the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association, said Obama's remarks were "misdirected" and the Cambridge police "deeply resent the implication" that race was a factor in the arrest.

"President Obama said the actions of the CPD were stupid and linked the event to the history of racial profiling in America," O'Connor said. "The facts of the case suggested that the president used the right adjective but directed it to the wrong party."

Officers responded to Gates' home on July 16 after a woman called 911 and said she saw two black men with backpacks trying to force open the front door. The woman, Lucia Whalen, has not responded to repeated attempts for comment.

Gates has said he returned from an overseas trip, found the door jammed, and that he and his driver attempted to force it open. Gates went through the back door and was inside the house on the phone with the property's management company when police arrived.

Police said he flew into a verbal rage after Sgt. James Crowley, who is white, asked him to show identification to prove he should be in the home. Police say Gates accused Crowley of racial bias, refused to calm down and was arrested. The charge was dropped Tuesday, but Gates has demanded an apology, calling his arrest a case of racial profiling.

Gates, 58, maintains he turned over identification when asked to do so by the police. He said Crowley arrested him after the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

Crowley has refused to apologize, saying he followed protocol.

Just like there are also a number of reasons for why charges are laid inappropriately.

Face it the professor is a angry black man that has issues with whitey, got out of control and was arrested for it.

Whether the proscecutor wants to prosecute or not is an entirely different matter.

<>

You've just got it figured out.

And imagine, the police officer's colleagues backing him up. NO! The police NEVER stand up for each other, thus creating an impermeable wall of silence. That has never been known to happen anywhere!

The truth in this story is probably somewhere in the middle like with all things.

And he was yelling outside of his home while insulting the cop.

<>

Not really against the law...

Can you imagine the hell the "black cop" would have gotten if he said "yeah I don't know what was said inside but from what I saw outside no laws were broken"? Seriously folks, let's grow up.

We have no clue what really went on, we don't know if racial slurs or mama jokes were thrown, we just don't know.

Face it the professor is a angry black man that has issues with whitey, got out of control and was arrested for it.
You don't actually believe that, do you?

Anyone is going to be confused and frightened when the police suddenly and unexpectedly appear on their porch and 'greet' them with a blunt, "Sir will you step outside please." Anyone is going to think, What the hell are they here for? Why are they acting like I've done something wrong? And once you're in that emotional state, if there's 'something about you' that you already know increases the likelihood of your being suspected of being a 'bad sort' in contexts like this, then that thought will occur to you in a flash, and you're then likely to feel quite indignant and angry, all the more so if the police don't then proceed to show the utmost courtesy, patience, and clarity as to what (and why) they're doing every step of the way. Is that a 'smart' way to react from a (cynically) 'commonsense' perspective--no, but unfortunately emotions are seldom based on common sense, particularly when you're rattled (and jet-lagged) already. Having some sort of hateful attitude towards white people, or towards police, or whoever, isn't at all necessary to explain such a response. That's more or less the emotional trajectory I went through in my 'incident' with customs officers I described earlier--I went from (jet-lagged) bewilderment as to what the issue was, to fear that I was somehow being framed, to anger as my mind cast frantically about for a plausible explanation of what the real issue was and didn't like what it was coming up with. And that all happened quickly, very quickly. It had nothing to do with me 'having issues' in general with white customs officers--I didn't and I don't.

If Gates' conduct was legal inside the house--which it was, and no parties to either side of this case dispute that--then there's no satisfactory reason why it should've suddenly become illegal once he stepped onto his porch. The officers had already secured the only thing the 'possible-crime-in-progress' report justified them to demand of him--proof that he was no burglar, but the house's lawful resident--and their continued presence on the premises was manifestly the object of his shouts. Their job was done, they could have and should have just continued leaving; instead they chose to brandish handcuffs and dare him to yell his way to a 'disorderly conduct' charge which would never have stood up in court, which was illegitimately pressed into service as a gratuitous wrist-slap for nothing more than, from their POV, acting like a hotheaded jerk.

Last edited:
Not really against the law...

Yeah it is, that's why he was arrested.

And for those that want to invoke the 'thin blue line' theory shows only that they have yet to evolve from their own self imposed paradigms.

All this while Obama is now claiming he has regrets in his initial comments.

It's ok FYMers stay the course, stay the course and impede your own progress.

<>

You don't actually believe that, do you?

Anyone is going to be confused and frightened.....

bawhaa haa!

:lol:

He was cognizant enough to gather 2 pieces of ID and call Harvard-he wasn't afraid or confused.

He had a hard on for a white police officer.

No, it's not, it's why a majority of "disturbing the peace" arrests get thrown out.

And for those that want to invoke the 'thin blue line' theory shows only that they have yet to evolve from their own self imposed paradigms.

You really don't think it's exists?
I have a bridge I'd like to sell ya...

bawhaa haa!

:lol:

He was cognizant enough to gather 2 pieces of ID and call Harvard-he wasn't afraid or confused.
It's pretty common for people's heart rates to increase while being pulled over for a minor moving violation, I think if one was acussing me of breaking into my own house it would be that times 5.

He had a hard on for a white police officer.
Talk about paradigms yours it's showing... and it's rather embarassing.

No, it's not. Yelling at police officers is not against the law. There may be some justification if your yelling disrupts the officer's ability to perform his job, but outlawing yelling goes against this little thing we like to call Freedom of Speech.

It would be great if you could resist this regular urge to patronizingly insult everyone who doesn't agree with you.

I see you haven't actually read the incident descriptions.

He was already on the phone with Harvard when the first officer arrived, and ironically you're taking Gates' word for it that he provided 2 forms of ID--the police claim he only provided one, his (addressless) Harvard ID. 'Confusion' doesn't mean total mental incompetence; that's a self-serving distortion on your part.

Good to see you embracing the concept of evolution so warmly. :applaud:

Yeah, it'd be great if he joked about Gates having "hard-ons for white police officers," that's be a real evolutionary convergence of the President's views and FYM's.

I haven't been following the story all that closely - has there been any further mention regarding the neighbor who called the cops about the "break-in"?

Man, that person either had it in for Gates and did it on purpose or must feel pretty horrible right now.

I'm going to guess that if Gates ever finds out who it is, he or she won't be invited over for a barbeque ever again.

No, it's not. Yelling at police officers is not against the law. There may be some justification if your yelling disrupts the officer's ability to perform his job, but outlawing yelling goes against this little thing we like to call Freedom of Speech.

Disturbing the peace falls under disorderly conduct, and by coming outside and yelling and insulting a police officer that was calmly doing his job would be 'disorderly' by no stretch in the word's meaning, notwithstanding insulting the police officer's mother at the same time.

Surely you can wrap your brain around that legal concept.

<>

Disturbing the peace falls under disorderly conduct, and by coming outside and yelling and insulting a police officer that was calmly doing his job would be 'disorderly' by no stretch in the word's meaning, notwithstanding insulting the police officer's mother at the same time.

Surely you can wrap your brain around that legal concept.

<>

You really have no grasp do you?

Talk about staying the course.

It got dropped. I postered earlier there was an interview with a cop on NPR the other day and he even admitted that these are joke, they refer to them as "insult a cop" charge. They get dropped because they don't stand, because there is no law being broken.

Wrap, wrap, wrap... just try.

Yeah, it'd be great if he joked about Gates having "hard-ons for white police officers," that's be a real evolutionary convergence of the President's views and FYM's.

No it wouldn't be, sometimes the truth is better left unsaid by the leader of the free world-besides that it would be outside of Obama's thought process.

Obama already stepped in it by calling the police dept actions "stupid" while being uninformed of the circumstances of this case thereby showing his own prejudices-and has now back tracked on those statements.

<>

Back
Top Bottom