Why-Because I'm A Black Man In America? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #106
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
I don't see why the president has to get involved in these small incidents. What's the point of even asking him about these things?
because your average mediaperson in the u.s. is a fucking idiot.
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
because your average mediaperson in the u.s. is a fucking idiot.
I always get the feeling that these things are asked in the hope the president screws up or says something remotely controversial so the press can have another week of 'news' to report.
__________________

__________________
DrTeeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #108
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
I always get the feeling that these things are asked in the hope the president screws up or says something remotely controversial so the press can have another week of 'news' to report.
the sad thing is, you're probably right. i'll never understand why unimportant stories get blown out of proportion or reporters have to get practically the whole nation's opinion on something.

it's not that i don't care what the president thinks, but surely right now there are more important things to ask him other than what he thinks of an arrest made in massachusetts (which is now irrelevant anyway since the charges have been dropped). it's certainly not that i don't think this is an important issue, but the president has bigger fish to fry at the moment.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
because your average mediaperson in the u.s. is a fucking idiot.
Actually, it's more because you're average american citizen is an idiot. The media know this and cater/pander to it.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
I wonder if there is a statistic out there for the number of people who are arrested and have the charges dropped.
There may be, but it would be state-specific and most likely charge-specific. For example, I've seen them as relating to drunk driving.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
I don't see why the president has to get involved in these small incidents. What's the point of even asking him about these things?

In the past most presidents would not have touched this type of issue deferring to the local authorities and excusing themselves for lack of knowledge on the case, but not this president.
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
In the past most presidents would not have touched this type of issue deferring to the local authorities
Especially if the local authorities are foreign. Past US presidents have shown a lot of deference in those instances and have generally refrained from things like commentary followed by invasion.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Actually, it's more because you're average american citizen is an idiot. The media know this and cater/pander to it.
and sadly, as a non-idiot it's way too clear. and it's not just american media that cater to the lowest common denominator (of which we have an example present in the thread).
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #114
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
I wonder if there is a statistic out there for the number of people who are arrested and have the charges dropped.
In Australia, it's about 10% of matters that actually end up in court. Use this as an indication only, not just because it's Australia, but the way statistics like this are compiled make it difficult to ever get an accurate idea of true figures. However, the police are very much a funnel and you'd know that the number that proceed to the court system is substantially lower than matters dealt initially.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #115
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,666
Local Time: 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
the sad thing is, you're probably right. i'll never understand why unimportant stories get blown out of proportion or reporters have to get practically the whole nation's opinion on something.
It's quite simple, really. With the advent of 24/7 'news' channels, there needs to be something to fill all that airtime, so stories like this get talked about ad nauseum.
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #116
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Actually, it's more because you're average american citizen is an idiot. The media know this and cater/pander to it.
Your.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:19 PM

see below
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:19 PM
..
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk
I think we can all rest easy tonight, it looks like things are going to be just fine. There's nothing a friendly beer with the president can't fix!


Black scholar agrees to beer with Obama, policeman | U.S. | Reuters

Black scholar agrees to beer with Obama, policeman

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A prominent black Harvard University scholar has accepted an invitation to have a beer with President Barack Obama and the white police officer who arrested him in a racially charged case.

Professor Henry Louis Gates said Saturday he was willing to have a peace-making beer with Obama and Cambridge, Massachusetts, police Sgt. James Crowley.

Gates was arrested last week at his home after a neighbor called police to say that a man was breaking into the house. Obama said Cambridge police had "acted stupidly," prompting an outcry from police groups and a resulting media blitz.

Obama later telephoned both men and, on Crowley's suggestion, invited the two to the White House for a beer.

"I am pleased that he, too, is eager to use my experience as a teaching moment, and if meeting Sgt. Crowley for a beer with the president will further that end, then I would be happy to oblige," Gates said in a statement on TheRoot.com, an Internet newsletter he edits.

Gates said he hoped his arrest would help reduce racial profiling by law enforcement agencies.




Does anybody sense damage control?

There is an attempt to bury this story and sweep it all under the rug, now that Obama and Gates look to be in the wrong side of the issue.

Lesson: when you cast aspersions, malign a police officer and are wrong in doing so, get both parties together, don't admit you're wrong and apologize -just have a beer and make it all go away.


Sad.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 02:19 PM
Yes, how shameful to get all the parties involved together to talk about the situation in person.

Just shameful.
__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #120
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Yes one should have kept all parties seperate so Diamond could keep his he said he said charade going, now what will he talk about?
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fanfic: Café Latino Caroni PLEBA Archive 4 07-16-2007 04:48 AM
We've identified this strain of HIV that is difficult or impossible to treat Dreadsox Free Your Mind Archive 18 05-31-2005 10:57 AM
remember malcolm x all_i_want Free Your Mind Archive 17 02-23-2005 06:48 AM
The Irony of the Hollywood Liberal Left Protesters..(buckle up-explosive topic) diamond Free Your Mind Archive 269 04-07-2003 09:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com