Why-Because I'm A Black Man In America? - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #301
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Gates shouldn't have done it, because it wasn't true.
The facts of the case bore that out.

<>


which, again, is much worse than actual racism.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #302
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Racism had nothing to do w the case.
Claiming racism when there isn't any in a case is almost as bad and sometimes worse.

Ok, boobie?



<>
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #303
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Claiming racism when there isn't any in a case is almost as bad and sometimes worse.


yes, this is what i thought you were thinking, and i'm glad it's illuminated.

i'm glad the white people have you looking out for them. lord knows white people ain't got nobody but Jesus.

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #304
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:39 AM
I look out for everybody, equally.


And I will be looking for you this next tour. Do you think I can crash at your house when U2 plays your area?
PM if you think that'd be ok.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #305
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 06:39 PM
Results from a CNN telephone poll of 1136 Americans, done 7/31-8/3. (I gather from skimming the methodology that only 999 respondents' answers are actually reflected below: in tabulating this portion of the poll, they disregarded answers from respondents who identified as Latino, Asian, etc.)



Have you personally ever felt treated unfairly by the police or by a police officer specifically because of your race?
Blacks Yes 56% No 44%
Whites Yes 6% No 94%


We'd like to know how widespread you believe the problem of racism is against blacks among police officers in this country. Would you say it is very common, fairly common, fairly rare, or very rare?
Blacks Very Common 46% Fairly Common 40% Fairly Rare 7% Very Rare 5% no op. 2%
Whites Very Common 11% Fairly Common 36% Fairly Rare 35% Very Rare 14% no op. 4%


Now I have some questions about an incident in Massachusetts in which a professor named Henry Louis Gates, who is black, was arrested for disorderly conduct at his home by a police officer named James Crowley, who is white. Based on what you have heard or read about this incident, do you think the police officer, James Crowley, acted stupidly or don’t you think so?
Blacks Stupidly 59% Not Stupidly 29% no op. 12%
Whites Stupidly 29% Not Stupidly 58% no op. 14%


And based on what you have heard or read about this incident, do you think the professor, Henry Louis Gates, acted stupidly or don’t you think so?
Blacks Stupidly 44% Not Stupidly 43% no op. 13%
Whites Stupidly 58% Not Stupidly 27% no op. 15%


Who would you say you sympathize with more--Henry Louis Gates, the professor who was arrested, or James Crowley, the police officer who arrested him?
Blacks Gates 61% Crowley 19% Both 4% Neither 8% no op. 8%
Whites Gates 29% Crowley 45% Both 9% Neither 9% no op. 8%


Do you think a white homeowner would have been arrested if he had acted the same way in the same circumstances, or don’t you think so?
Blacks Yes 25% No 64% Depends 3% no op. 8%
Whites Yes 66% No 23% Depends 4% no op. 8%


As you may know, Barack Obama made some comments about this incident at a televised press conference. Based on what you have read or heard about Obama's comments, do you think Obama acted stupidly when he made them, or don't you think so?
Blacks Stupidly 26% Not Stupidly 59% no op. 15%
Whites Stupidly 63% Not Stupidly 25% no op. 13%
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #306
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 12:39 PM
^ what this shows is that black people need to stop letting race cloud their reality, like race clouds the reality and judgement of people like Sotomayor.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #307
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,251
Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Lastly note the picture below, it speaks volumes.

Absolutely. Very, very telling. Who helps an elderly, slightly disabled man down the steps (who, not to mention, is supposed to be his enemy because, you know, the cop is such a blatant racist) and who ignores him, probably eager to get to the cameras to talk about what a great job he's doing. It's almost unbearable to look at that picture, yet it's in no way surprising.
__________________
2861U2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #308
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Are you guys serious? I'm guessing you believed the Obama checking out the girl's ass photo as well? Photos tell a single moment, never the whole story.

You don't think the cop needed the photo op just as much as anyone else?

Come on guys...
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #309
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Absolutely. Very, very telling. Who helps an elderly, slightly disabled man down the steps (who, not to mention, is supposed to be his enemy because, you know, the cop is such a blatant racist) and who ignores him, probably eager to get to the cameras to talk about what a great job he's doing. It's almost unbearable to look at that picture, yet it's in no way surprising.

For real? You're not kidding?

Wow.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #310
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Are you guys serious? I'm guessing you believed the Obama checking out the girl's ass photo as well? Photos tell a single moment, never the whole story.

You don't think the cop needed the photo op just as much as anyone else?

Come on guys...
Your guys' level of denial amaze me.

The photo captures a candid moment in time.

Obama is prethinking his thoughts on about what he is going to say in front of a group of microphones, the photo also shows Crowely helping an older man down some stairs, nothing more, nothing less.

C'mon guys, you're better than this- free yourselves.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #311
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,251
Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Are you guys serious? I'm guessing you believed the Obama checking out the girl's ass photo as well?
Give me a break. It's clear what's going on in that picture. You can have the Obama/Sarkozy photo. Fine. This picture can't be explained away as easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Photos tell a single moment, never the whole story.
I'm glad you feel that way, then.

 
__________________
2861U2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #312
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,593
Local Time: 01:39 PM
How dare you accuse King Obama of wrong-doing?!?!

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!
__________________
bigjohn2441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #313
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,288
Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
For real? You're not kidding?

Wow.
Oh it's all too real.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #314
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Results from a CNN telephone poll of 1136 Americans, done 7/31-8/3. (I gather from skimming the methodology that only 999 respondents' answers are actually reflected below: in tabulating this portion of the poll, they disregarded answers from respondents who identified as Latino, Asian, etc.)



Have you personally ever felt treated unfairly by the police or by a police officer specifically because of your race?
Blacks Yes 56% No 44%
Whites Yes 6% No 94%


We'd like to know how widespread you believe the problem of racism is against blacks among police officers in this country. Would you say it is very common, fairly common, fairly rare, or very rare?
Blacks Very Common 46% Fairly Common 40% Fairly Rare 7% Very Rare 5% no op. 2%
Whites Very Common 11% Fairly Common 36% Fairly Rare 35% Very Rare 14% no op. 4%


Now I have some questions about an incident in Massachusetts in which a professor named Henry Louis Gates, who is black, was arrested for disorderly conduct at his home by a police officer named James Crowley, who is white. Based on what you have heard or read about this incident, do you think the police officer, James Crowley, acted stupidly or don’t you think so?
Blacks Stupidly 59% Not Stupidly 29% no op. 12%
Whites Stupidly 29% Not Stupidly 58% no op. 14%


And based on what you have heard or read about this incident, do you think the professor, Henry Louis Gates, acted stupidly or don’t you think so?
Blacks Stupidly 44% Not Stupidly 43% no op. 13%
Whites Stupidly 58% Not Stupidly 27% no op. 15%


Who would you say you sympathize with more--Henry Louis Gates, the professor who was arrested, or James Crowley, the police officer who arrested him?
Blacks Gates 61% Crowley 19% Both 4% Neither 8% no op. 8%
Whites Gates 29% Crowley 45% Both 9% Neither 9% no op. 8%


Do you think a white homeowner would have been arrested if he had acted the same way in the same circumstances, or don’t you think so?
Blacks Yes 25% No 64% Depends 3% no op. 8%
Whites Yes 66% No 23% Depends 4% no op. 8%


As you may know, Barack Obama made some comments about this incident at a televised press conference. Based on what you have read or heard about Obama's comments, do you think Obama acted stupidly when he made them, or don't you think so?
Blacks Stupidly 26% Not Stupidly 59% no op. 15%
Whites Stupidly 63% Not Stupidly 25% no op. 13%

Yolland, Yolland, Yolland.
*sigh*

I looked at this poll last night and wondered if you would post it, I guessed right.

It's no secret that blacks and whites view this situation differently, the problem is that they've been brainwashed by the mainstream media that most cops are bad, when that is untrue. It's very untrue in this case.

This is systemic to the problem, we've all been subconsciously coached on how to view racial issues by the powers to be, namely the media. This is done by the media over hyping a few bad stories to serve a greater agenda. The trick is to look at each case indivually and honestly, and think outside of your own box.
Now that's not to say that I dont have empathy for why most blacks feel this way, based on their history and cases of actual racial discrimination-which are always deplorable.

What is equally deplorable is when one claims there is discrimination and there is none, and goes on further to insult a police officer.

You do acknowledge that racism works both ways, correct? I mean you don't see the Black Panthers as a philantrophy group, now do you?


Further, in the final results of this poll, most Americans collectively agree that Gates was more wrong than Crowley.

I'm hoping in the future that Gates doesn't have a leaking drain pipe in his kitchen and try and fix it. There's a chance if he did and a few drops may hit his forehead, and then he may jump up and claim that he was being "waterboarded .."..



If you want to go after a racist go after the Boston cop who slurred Gates as a Jungle Monkey in an email-that guy has some issues.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #315
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,718
Local Time: 09:39 AM
And what is Obama supposed to be doing? Guiding him by Gates' other arm, which is holding his cane? Maybe the cop offered assistance first, and Obama wasn't needed to assist.

Or heck, maybe it was decided that the cop would help Gates down the steps, because what better than a photo-op to say "Look, he's helping him down the stairs! All is well!" That wouldn't surprise me, but I don't see how that's a bad thing.

But no, I guess it's just an opportunity to slam Obama.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fanfic: Café Latino Caroni PLEBA Archive 4 07-16-2007 04:48 AM
We've identified this strain of HIV that is difficult or impossible to treat Dreadsox Free Your Mind Archive 18 05-31-2005 10:57 AM
remember malcolm x all_i_want Free Your Mind Archive 17 02-23-2005 06:48 AM
The Irony of the Hollywood Liberal Left Protesters..(buckle up-explosive topic) diamond Free Your Mind Archive 269 04-07-2003 09:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com