Why-Because I'm A Black Man In America? - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #286
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Philk? View Post
I agree with your view maycocksean. Didn't it say that Gates and Obama were friends? I guess I also feel that he may have overreacted because of his friendship with the man.
Yes, that part is true, and why Obama spoke out showed partiality, poor judgement, and promoting an agenda in the very least.

He also temporarily set back the clock in race relations that Bill Clinton and GW Bush have help build in our country, because of his own ego.

That said, by how both Gates and Obama reacted to this event, I see at as a personal affront to past American citizens, human and civil rights leaders that have genuinely suffered real persecution and unselfishly sacrificed their time and lives to have bettered our country and world:

Steven Biko,
Emmett Till,
Nelson Mandela
and Medgar Evers.

Suppose Nelson Mandela were in Gates' shoes, honestly ask yourselves, would have had this same situation? Of course not.

Lastly note the picture below, it speaks volumes.

__________________

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #287
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Yes, that part is true, and why Obama spoke out showed partiality, poor judgement, and promoting an agenda in the very least.
Or. . .or, it could have just been a simple mistake. Crazy, I know. But possible. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
He also temporarily set back the clock in race relations that Bill Clinton and GW Bush have help build in our country, because of his own ego.
So help me now. . .who is blowing this way out proportion again?
__________________

__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #288
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Yes, that part is true, and why Obama spoke out showed partiality, poor judgement, and promoting an agenda in the very least.

He also temporarily set back the clock in race relations that Bill Clinton and GW Bush have help build in our country, because of his own ego.

That said, by how both Gates and Obama reacted to this event, I see at as a personal affront to past American citizens, human and civil rights leaders that have genuinely suffered real persecution and unselfishly sacrificed their time and lives to have bettered our country and world:
Ever the righteous one, looking out for the little people, eh diamond?

Except from the very beginning you've been the one making wildly presumptuous and speculative claims in the hopes of turning this molehill into a mountain, making it an us vs. them, left vs. right debate, facts/law be damned.

Don't even try and pretend that your real interest here is protecting the legacy of those who have suffered real prosecution.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #289
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Ever the righteous one, looking out for the little people, eh diamond?

Except from the very beginning you've been the one making wildly presumptuous and speculative claims in the hopes of turning this molehill into a mountain, making it an us vs. them, left vs. right debate, facts/law be damned.

Don't even try and pretend that your real interest here is protecting the legacy of those who have suffered real prosecution.
Thanks for the input, BVS.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #290
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 07:48 AM
Har Har.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #291
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 05:48 AM
I'm not trying to be a dick here, and if I end up being one forgive me, but:

Why is this thread still active? I mean, it's just a big circle right now, you've all lapped each other myriad times.

Guess what? Diamond says outrageous shit. Sometimes he believes it, sometimes, like his brother, he says it to get a rise out of people....and, interference has no shortage of people to take the bait, myself occasionally included.

I mean, 10 pages ago there might have been hope for an intelligent discourse, but, who is kidding who at this point? Diamond is going to keep blowing this out of proportion in an attempt to discredit Obama, and others will keep bashing him and point out why he is "wrong", etc.

So, why are people still posting in here?
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #292
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Or. . .or, it could have just been a simple mistake. Crazy, I know. But possible. . .
Yes, made by 2 men, Obama and Skip Gates.
Some would call that a "streak".

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #293
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick here, and if I end up being one forgive me, but:

Why is this thread still active? I mean, it's just a big circle right now, you've all lapped each other myriad times.


So, why are people still posting in here?
If that's your attempt of an apology for the unkind things you said to me in this tread and in the past, I will take it.

This incident and case is still evolving, that's why I have contributed from time to time.

As more pertinent facts come forth, I've touched on it.

It could be that since it is not going the way a certain group's mind set is-they want it to go away. Consider that for a moment.

That's why I'm still posting here.


<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #294
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Ever the righteous one, looking out for the little people, eh diamond?

Don't even try and pretend that your real interest here is protecting the legacy of those who have suffered real prosecution.

.
Yes, if you knew outside of this forum, you could perhaps see me in a different light.

And I take offense to that comment. Maybe if you took a moment and looked over my page at myspace.com, and looked over what books and biographies I've studied and read, what non fiction biographical movies that my family and I enjoy, you may see you made that comment in ignorance. You would have to be *genuinely* interested though.

That said, that we differ in politics doesn't mean I do not have compassion for the down trodden, the less fortunate, and for empathy for those that have suffered racial discrimination and still suffer racial discrimination. We only differ on how to correct these problems.

I also call B.S. when I see it, and based on the way this has played out, I think I may have been correct.

Here's the link:

MySpace - david - 47 - Male - TEMPE, Arizona - myspace.com/diamondbruno9

out-

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #295
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
If that's your attempt of an apology for the unkind things you said to me in this tread and in the past, I will take it.

This incident and case is still evolving, that's why I have contributed from time to time.

As more pertinent facts come forth, I've touched on it.

It could be that since it is not going the way a certain group's mind set is-they want it to go away. Consider that for a moment.

That's why I'm still posting here.


<>
It wasn't meant as an apology for anything I've said in the past, it was meant as an apology if anyone thought that particular post was insulting.

However, if my comments to you have been overly unkind.....then I do apologize. I can't pretend to agree with much that you have to say but I should have the maturity and poise to disagree without getting personal.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #296
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Yes, if you knew outside of this forum, you could perhaps see me in a different light.

And I take offense to that comment. Maybe if you took a moment and looked over my page at myspace.com, and looked over what books and biographies I've studied and read, what non fiction biographical movies that my family and I enjoy, you may see you made that comment in ignorance.

That said, that we differ in politics doesn't mean I do not have compassion for the down trodden, the less fortunate, and for empathy for those that have suffered racial discrimination. We only differ on how to remedy those problems.

Here's the link:

MySpace - david - 47 - Male - TEMPE, Arizona - myspace.com/diamondbruno9

out-

<>
I am not saying that you have no empathy for the downtrodden in general, and apologize if you took my words to mean that. Note that I did say "your real interest here" aka, this thread. And in this thread, your posts have had a pretty clear goal of painting Obama (and Gates) in as negative a light as possible. To claim that Obama's remarks are a personal affront to those who have suffered discrimination is flat out ridiculous, outlandish and completely counterproductive to any real discussion on the topic. And quite frankly, listening to Obama's speech and then choosing that one word to represent it's content is extremely disingenuous, as he surely had a lot more substantive things to say on the topic than just the one comment about the police department's stupid actions. But I guess sensationalistic headlines get the more immediate response.

Had Obama not commented on this case, your argument would center only around the legality of Gates' arrest, which has been discussed and sorted out pretty clearly by several posters in this thread.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #297
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Thanks for the input, BVS.
I ask that you do not use my "name" as a snide remark against a mod. Diemen has actually been very critical of my tactics, and very fair in doing so...

I found this to be very unfair against him and myself.
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #298
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I am not saying that you have no empathy for the downtrodden in general, and apologize if you took my words to mean that. Note that I did say "your real interest here" aka, this thread. And in this thread, your posts have had a pretty clear goal of painting Obama (and Gates) in as negative a light as possible. To claim that Obama's remarks are a personal affront to those who have suffered discrimination is flat out ridiculous, outlandish and completely counterproductive to any real discussion on the topic. And quite frankly, listening to Obama's speech and then choosing that one word to represent it's content is extremely disingenuous, as he surely had a lot more substantive things to say on the topic than just the one comment about the police department's stupid actions. But I guess sensationalistic headlines get the more immediate response.

Had Obama not commented on this case, your argument would center only around the legality of Gates' arrest, which has been discussed and sorted out pretty clearly by several posters in this thread.
The only "sensationalistic" person in this affair was Gates by immediately going to the race card, Shelby Steele pointed that out.
Shelby Steele also pointed out Obama's questionable motives.

I mainly meant that Gates' actions were an affront to people like Biko, Mandela and Till-not Obama's

Where we differ is Obama was exposed in having a automatic prejudiced view of the Cambridge Police Dept. and most Americans concur that Obama was wrong in that view-but not most FYMers.


True, there was a legal loop hole in Gates' favor, but I don't think he was unjustly arrested, nor do most Americans.

Unless there are any other pertinent developments in this story, I will let the thread descend.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #299
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
The only "sensationalistic" person in this affair was Gates by immediately going to the race card, Shelby Steele pointed that out.


which is, as ever, and always, FAR FAR WORSE than actual racism.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #300
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
which is, as ever, and always, FAR FAR WORSE than actual racism.

Gates shouldn't have done it, because it wasn't true.
The facts of the case bore that out.

<>
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fanfic: Café Latino Caroni PLEBA Archive 4 07-16-2007 04:48 AM
We've identified this strain of HIV that is difficult or impossible to treat Dreadsox Free Your Mind Archive 18 05-31-2005 10:57 AM
remember malcolm x all_i_want Free Your Mind Archive 17 02-23-2005 06:48 AM
The Irony of the Hollywood Liberal Left Protesters..(buckle up-explosive topic) diamond Free Your Mind Archive 269 04-07-2003 09:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com