Why-Because I'm A Black Man In America? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:24 PM
I think it was a mistake for President Obama to comment in that way-especially when you start off by saying that you don't know all the facts. Yes Officer Crowley teaches police recruits about racial profiling- so I would imagine that any mistakes he made in this situation, if any, were the result of factors other than race. I don't know what the exact definition of police officers acting "stupidly" is. I know that they can, and do. It does come down to two sides of a story and the truth is probably somewhere in between. It's a sad situation, but maybe people can learn from it too. I do agree that it's different viewing it from an African American person's perspective. There's some talk about the two getting together and talking it over.

When Professor Gates lived in Lexington MA he actually went to the police station and introduced himself and said that he had moved into town and would be driving his Mercedes there. I don't know what year he moved there but I do know that it was a lily white town in years past. Don't know what it's like now but when he lived there it probably was like that. It's a very wealthy area. He's being criticized by some people for that too. But to think that he couldn't have had any problem there is just naive. I don't know what it's been like for him, I've never lived in his shoes. Some people say that, because of his career focus on race, he sees everything through that prism. Others say that he's just "looking for it" when it isn't even there.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Machismo and the Gates incident

By Joan Vennochi, Globe Columnist | July 23, 2009

The arrest of Henry Louis Gates Jr. by a Cambridge police officer is playing out along racial lines. But it’s also about power and machismo - on both sides.

Gates, a noted Harvard scholar who is African-American, was busted for a bad attitude. That isn’t grounds for a mug shot. But, black or white, sometimes it leads to one.

Earlier this year, a Wellesley businesswoman was arrested after a run-in with a state trooper at Logan International Airport. The trooper asked Margaret Greer, a 57-year-old portfolio manager, to move her Mercedes because it was obstructing a bus lane. She refused and sped off, hitting him with her car’s side mirror. Greer was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. She ultimately apologized and agreed to perform 200 hours of community service to resolve the charges.

Then there was the case of Randi Goldklank, the now ex-general manager of Channel 7, who went on an alcohol-and-prescription-drug-fueled tirade at Logan. As she was taken into custody, threatened to call a news crew and put the arresting trooper on TV and “ruin his life.’’ She, too, apologized.

In the Gates incident, there was no physical contact, drugs, or alcohol. All Gates did was allegedly shout at a police officer.

Gates was in his own home when a Cambridge police officer responded to a call about a possible break-in at that address. The professor had just returned home from filming a documentary in China. His front door was stuck shut and his taxi driver helped him pry it open. Then, Sergeant James Crowley appeared at his door and demanded to see identification. Gates provided it, although some facts about how and when are in dispute.

The police report states that Gates was arrested after exhibiting “loud and tumultuous behavior, in a public place, directed at a uniformed police officer who was investigating a report of a crime in progress.’’ Gates disputes some information provided in the police report, but does acknowledge that he responded with anger.

In anger, Gates brought up race, according to the police report. When Crowley told him he was investigating a report of a break-in, the professor said, “Why, because I’m a black man in America?’’

The report also states, “Gates then turned to me and told me that I had no idea who I was ‘messing’ with and that I had not heard the last of it.’’

If a white person displays an attitude like that, it is OK to call him arrogant. If a black person is called arrogant, it is considered code for “uppity’’ and an invitation to be labeled as a racist. So let’s just say that according to the police report, Gates sounds like what he is: a renowned Harvard academic who is used to deferential treatment. In this case, he didn’t get it, he didn’t like it, and he let it show.

Crowley didn’t like what he heard. He arrested Gates on a disorderly conduct charge, which has since been dropped.

Human beings of all races have a tendency to react as Gates did, especially when they are tired, frustrated, and privileged. Police officers usually don’t like it. The question is whether this police officer responded more harshly because of skin color.

The answer isn’t obvious, but both men could use some sensitivity training. Gates shouldn’t have yelled at the police officer; still, what he did was irritating, not criminal. Once the officer determined Gates did live in the house, he should have left, no matter what the professor was shouting.

Harvey Silverglate, a criminal defense lawyer, civil liberties defender, and Harvard Law School graduate, believes Gates’s arrest should be investigated, but not only because of its racial implications: Was Gates arrested and held as a way to teach him a lesson? If so, asks Silverglate, “Is this acceptable, regardless of whether the citizen is white or black?’’

In an ideal world, no. When it happens to a black man, racism may be the easy explanation, but that doesn’t make it the only explanation. Life and power in 21st-century America are more complicated than that.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

If both sides had just chilled the fuck out, this all would have been avoided. Tools.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Refugee

I think we can safely say the cop was not a racist.

Quote:
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Supporters say the white policeman who arrested renowned black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his home is a principled police officer and family man who is being unfairly described as racist.

Friends and fellow officers — black and white — say Sgt. James Crowley, who was hand-picked by a black police commissioner to teach recruits about avoiding racial profiling, is calm and reliable.

"If people are looking for a guy who's abusive or arrogant, they got the wrong guy," said Andy Meyer of Natick, Mass., who has vacationed with Crowley, coached youth sports with him and is his teammate on a men's softball team. "This is not a racist, rogue cop."

Gates accused the 11-year department veteran of being an unyielding, race-baiting authoritarian after Crowley arrested and charged him with disorderly conduct last week.

Crowley confronted Gates in his home after a woman passing by summoned police for a possible burglary. The sergeant said he arrested Gates after the scholar repeatedly accused him of racism and made derogatory remarks about his mother, allegations the professor challenges. Gates has labeled Crowley a "rogue cop," demanded an apology and said he may sue the police department.

President Barack Obama elevated the dispute when he said Wednesday that Cambridge police "acted stupidly" during the encounter. Obama stepped back on Thursday, telling ABC News, "From what I can tell, the sergeant who was involved is an outstanding police officer, but my suspicion is probably that it would have been better if cooler heads had prevailed."

Crowley told a radio station Thursday that Obama went too far.

"I support the president of the United States 110 percent," he told WBZ-AM. "I think he was way off base wading into a local issue without knowing all the facts, as he himself stated before he made that comment."

Obama noted that he and Gates are friends, and the sergeant said: "I guess a friend of mine would support my position, too."

Crowley didn't immediately return a phone message left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert Haas, in his first public comments on the arrest, said Thursday that Crowley was a decorated officer who followed procedure. The department is putting together an independent panel to review the arrest, but Haas said he did not think the whole story had been told.

"Sgt. Crowley is a stellar member of this department. I rely on his judgment every day," Haas said. "... I think he basically did the best in the situation that was presented to him."

But Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, once the top civil rights official in the Clinton administration and now, like Obama, the first black to hold his job, labeled the arrest "every black man's nightmare."

The governor told reporters: "You ought to be able to raise your voice in your own house without risk of arrest."

Those who know the 42-year-old Crowley say he is committed to everyday interests like playing softball and coaching his children's youth teams.

"I would give him my daughter to coach in a blink of an eye, and I can't say any stronger opinion than that," said Dan Keefe, a town parks official who knows Crowley from his work coaching youth swim, softball, basketball and baseball teams.

Crowley grew up in Cambridge's Fresh Pond neighborhood and attended the city's racially diverse public schools. Two of his brothers also work for the police department and a third is a Middlesex County deputy sheriff.

For five of the past six years, Crowley has volunteered alongside a black colleague in teaching 60 cadets per year about how to avoid targeting suspects merely because of their race, and how to respond to an array of scenarios they might encounter on the beat. Thomas Fleming, director of the Lowell Police Academy, said Crowley was asked by former Cambridge police Commissioner Ronnie Watson, who is black, to be an instructor.

"I have nothing but the highest respect for him as a police officer. He is very professional and he is a good role model for the young recruits in the police academy," Fleming said.

___

Associated Press Writer Glen Johnson in Boston contributed to this report.
derrogatory comments about his mother
Old 07-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I think we can safely say the cop was not a racist.

I don't think we can cleary say anything. It's a he said/ he said story at this point and really should be dropped.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
For some reason that link leads to another story altogether--I think this one is the story you wanted.
That was weird. They must have updated the link shortly after. Thanks for the new link.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I don't think we can cleary say anything. It's a he said/ he said story at this point and really should be dropped.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
There was a black police officer there with him at the arrest and says he agrees 100% that the arrest should have been made. While it is true that we can't say whether or not the arrest was justified, I think we can safely say that he was not racist or using racial profiling. But then again, who knows
Old 07-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
There was a black police officer there with him at the arrest and says he agrees 100% that the arrest should have been made. While it is true that we can't say whether or not the arrest was justified, I think we can safely say that he was not racist or using racial profiling. But then again, who knows
Where is that in the article you posted?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:24 PM
As each day passes the professor is looking to be more of the instigator w a chip on his shoulder.

All the professor needed to do is establish that it was his residence and have been polite to the officer and this whole thing could have been avoided.

Now Obama has been made to look stupid and is distancing himself from the situation for putting his foot in his mouth.

<>
Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

You're not exactly the INSTIGATOR when it's your house and they come to you.

Black, white, brown, or gray I think any of us would be a little perturbed if this had happened to us, but how either one of them acted we may never know.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
For me, it's more about privacy and property rights and free speech than race. The "public" wording in the police report is a little disturbing, even if he stepped outside the door.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You're not exactly the INSTIGATOR when it's your house and they come to you.

Black, white, brown, or gray I think any of us would be a little perturbed if this had happened to us, but how either one of them acted we may never know

You're an "instigator" when you chase a police officer out of your house berate him, insult him and his mother.

Sure we would be perturbed for the inconvenience, in having to prove we live at our residence while breaking into it- but most would be thankful a police officer was doing his job and be embarrassed that the police were notified.

The professor has issues, not the cop.

<>
Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
You're an "instigator" when you chase a police officer out of your house berate him, insult him and his mother.

The professor has issues, not the cop.
Yes, because you know exactly what was said...
Old 07-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

None of the cops present have disputed the police report.

The professor was looking for a fight and got arrested for it, that's all there is to it.

<>