Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #136
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post

Yolland,

Are you purposely dodging elephants in the room?

The only reason it was a national story is because Obama made it one by having a planted question at a news conference and by not knowing the facts of the case, inwhich it all back fired on him.

He tried to exploit a case that wasn't exploitable.

It should be "teachable moment" for Obama and Gates.

<>

Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #137
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Thank you Glenn Beck...

Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #138
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Nope, just Aaron Klein's usual shrill flailing for a conspiracy angle, which I've been giggling at in the Orthodox Jewish press for years. Of which his speculation that Sweet's question was planted is but another example.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #139
Refugee

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Yolland,

The only reason it was a national story is because Obama made it one by having a planted question at a news conference and by not knowing the facts of the case, inwhich it all back fired on him.

<>
... you can't be serious?

Anyway, in other news, which should show who was wrong here:
Quote:
On Thursday, President Obama weighed in on the arrest of African-American Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, saying a Cambridge police officer "acted stupidly" when he arrested Gates for disorderly conduct. The next day, Obama backed down from his harsh comment.

Obama was right the first time.

I don't know if the police officer arrested Gates because of the Harvard professor's race. A lot of white people would say that if they mouthed off to a cop, they too would be arrested.

But one thing is clear: Gates did not violate any law. Under Massachusetts law, which the police officer was supposedly enforcing, yelling at a police officer is not illegal.

There are clear decisions of the Massachusetts courts holding that a person who berates an officer, even during an arrest, is not guilty of disorderly conduct. And yet that is exactly what Gates was arrested for.

The Massachusetts statute defining "disorderly conduct" used to have a provision that made it illegal to make "unreasonable noise or offensively coarse utterance, gesture or display," or to address "abusive language to any person present." Yet the courts have interpreted that provision to violate the Massachusetts Constitution's guarantee of freedom of speech. So police cannot lawfully arrest a person for hurling abusive language at an officer.

In several cases, the courts in Massachusetts have considered whether a person is guilty of disorderly conduct for verbally abusing a police officer. In Commonwealth v. Lopiano, a 2004 decision, an appeals court held it was not disorderly conduct for a person who angrily yelled at an officer that his civil rights were being violated. In Commonwealth v. Mallahan, a decision rendered last year, an appeals court held that a person who launched into an angry, profanity-laced tirade against a police officer in front of spectators could not be convicted of disorderly conduct.

So Massachusetts law clearly provides that Gates did not commit disorderly conduct.

The Cambridge Police should be training their officers to know the difference between legal and illegal conduct. What Gates did was probably not so smart -- in general, be nice to people carrying guns -- but it wasn't disorderly conduct. At least not in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

That explains why the charges against Gates were dropped. It wasn't because the police were trying to defuse the situation. It was because Gates had done nothing illegal.

Arresting someone for doing something that isn't illegal is pretty stupid.

Then again, perhaps Obama was wrong. Maybe the police officer wasn't acting stupidly. He was just acting abusively. That is even worse.

Hat tip to Eric Posner of the Volokh Conspiracy.
From: Adam Winkler: Obama Was Right About the Gates Arrest
Also check out: The Volokh Conspiracy - What is “disorderly conduct” anyway?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Yolland,

<>
Oh, Diamond.

Do you really think Obama would purposely have someone ask him a question on a explosive topic like race relations at a press conference that is supposed to be all about health care reform - something he really, really wants to get accomplished?

Don't ever change.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

You live in la-la land.

Not only was it a national story long before Obama spoke, but it was an international one. I'm not in the US at the moment and I'd seen that story not only on Canadian news and the BBC but on a Croatian news channel (I'm house sitting for my parents and they have satellite) the day that it happened, which was well before Obama answered the question at the news conference.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #142
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
You live in la-la land.

Not only was it a national story long before Obama spoke, but it was an international one. I'm not in the US at the moment and I'd seen that story not only on Canadian news and the BBC but on a Croatian news channel (I'm house sitting for my parents and they have satellite) the day that it happened, which was well before Obama answered the question at the news conference.
Only because the lame stream media tried to make it a story on profiling, when it wasn't one; while Obama tried to up the ante' but shot himself in the foot in the process.

Good job Barry, good job lame stream media.

We now have the real story.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #143
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Ya, because the media is always asking the president questions about obscure local news stories
Old 07-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #144
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Jive Turkey, do yourself a favor and just tell Diamond that he's right. It will save you many many posts, and lots of frustration. It's too late for BVS and Anitram, bless their souls....but it's not too late for you. Run. Run while you still can. And don't look back.....don't you looooook back.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono's shades View Post
Oh, Diamond.

Do you really think Obama would purposely have someone ask him a question on a explosive topic like race relations at a press conference that is supposed to be all about health care reform - something he really, really wants to get accomplished?
Absolutely, the guy loves moments like these attempting to wax eloquence-but inadvertently showed his true colors on that night.

I also think it would be naive to think the President would not have some idea of what reporters and subjects of questions that we're scheduled to be asked in a upcoming press conference.

<>
Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Jive Turkey, do yourself a favor and just tell Diamond that he's right. It will save you many many posts, and lots of frustration. It's too late for BVS and Anitram, bless their souls....but it's not too late for you. Run. Run while you still can. And don't look back.....don't you looooook back.
To be fair, I'm also worried about yolland crossing over and joining us in mental-land.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
To be fair, I'm also worried about yolland crossing over and joining us in mental-land.
Yolland possesses powers that you and I can only dream of.

Sometimes, in my head, I picture most of you lot sitting in a circle arguing, and then Yolland just sort of materializes out of nowhere, but, like, floating above you all. Above the fray, if you will, dispensing knowledge, wisdom and subtle smackdowns in the necessary dosages.

I am really glad that I shared that, if by glad I mean horrified.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #148
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #149
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Quote:

Old 07-28-2009, 12:34 AM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life

look to me as a
defender of truth,
a decipherer of butchered,
hijacked languages;
an oasis of
pure knowledge