Why Are You Not a Christian? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #31
Refugee

Location: I live where I don't wanna drown, but god I'm going down...(/UK/)
Local Time: 02:18 PM
...Because I just can't believe. I don't have faith. It's not my fault, just don't. I lost it at the start of secondary school. (I'm now in year 10, 15 years old).

When I was a younger kid in primary school I never even questioned morning prayer (I went, go, to Catholic school). It was just normal. Orthodox. Part of life. Like eating breakfast. I just had it because mum gave it me.

And that's crazy. We should be allowed to chose for ourselves. Not be pushed into religious school before we even have the maturity to chose for ourselves, under context, as an individual, free. Get 'em in before they make any big decisions, eh?...with only religious friends and mainly teachers, secluded from other people of other religions. It's dangerous, really.

How can our school state it's pride in multi-cultural society when the whole environment is defined by a particular theme-religion?

I believe in good morals, I don't believe you need Jesus to have them. You need family, friends, relationship, freedom, individuality, love. You need to see the beauty of the world and the people in it.

So I don't believe because I don't want to or need to. And I find it insulting that you even ask me of this answer.. You're lucky you got one...

Old 11-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:18 AM
The only people who are religious are those who have been brainwashed from birth or who have reached a moral low in their lives and need a crutch for their emotional weakness. Which is it for you, Ironhorse?

Old 11-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adypole View Post
And I find it insulting that you even ask me of this answer.. You're lucky you got one...
To be fair, he didn't ask you directly, he posted a question on a message board. You -- and everyone else -- had the choice to answer or not.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

But he also didnt ask anyone in particular. It was an open question right in the title of the thread, meant to be in people's faces. It was an ignorant way to phrase it too. No doubt trolling, but meh, whatever
Old 11-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
But he also didnt ask anyone in particular. It was an open question right in the title of the thread, meant to be in people's faces. It was an ignorant way to phrase it too. No doubt trolling, but meh, whatever
Well, yeah, that's what I said -- "he didn't ask you directly, he posted a question on a message board." And let's face it, many thread titles by many posters in FYM are intentionally provocative, so probably half the regulars here (FYM) could be considered guilty of trolling.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #36
She's the One

Local Time: 06:18 AM
Quote:
The only people who are religious are those who have been brainwashed from birth or who have reached a moral low in their lives and need a crutch for their emotional weakness.
Not always.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
What do you get out of going to mass regularly?
wine? or is that the wrong denomination?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Not always.
What are the other reasons?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Well, yeah, that's what I said -- "he didn't ask you directly, he posted a question on a message board." And let's face it, many thread titles by many posters in FYM are intentionally provocative, so probably half the regulars here (FYM) could be considered guilty of trolling.
You sort of implied that he shouldnt get upset by it htough. I say if a question is posted to the masses, then if it gets someone bent out of shape, its their right.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #40
She's the One

Quote:
What are the other reasons?
Love, faith, happiness, appreciation. I think some people have turned to religion for the reasons you cited, but not all of them. The reasons people have faith are hard to quantify to those who don't.

I don't think the Dalai Lama or Bishop Tutu or Bono have been brainwashed or hit a moral low.

I haven't.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:18 AM
Clap clap, Iron Horse. Congratulations. We have another thread where I can't make up my mind who I detest more, the fundies, or the people who insist on insulting everyone (including me) who does hold religious beliefs.

Nice work everyone.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Love, faith, happiness, appreciation. I think some people have turned to religion for the reasons you cited, but not all of them. The reasons people have faith are hard to quantify to those who don't.

I don't think the Dalai Lama or Bishop Tutu or Bono have been brainwashed or hit a moral low.

I haven't.
I dont disagree that those emotions can become part of a person's religion, but of the people you cited, how many were born a different religion than what they currently practice?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #43
She's the One

Quote:
I dont disagree that those emotions can become part of a person's religion, but of the people you cited, how many were born a different religion than what they currently practice?

Me, for one.

And I don't care about the others.

Not everyone who has faith will meet your hoped-for stereotype. Some intelligent, reasonable, and tolerant people have a great deal of faith.

The insults and taunts of people without faith don't deter anyone. And arguing about it serves no purpose.

I think that this thread is pointless and responding the way most have just feeds the troll.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Me, for one.

And I don't care about the others.

Not everyone who has faith will meet your hoped-for stereotype. Some intelligent, reasonable, and tolerant people have a great deal of faith.

The insults and taunts of people without faith don't deter anyone. And arguing about it serves no purpose.

I think that this thread is pointless and responding the way most have just feeds the troll.
No need to get offended. I just believe that the majority of religious people are of their particular religion because of what their parents told them to do when they were little. The ones who arent are looking to fill a void. If you believe otherwise, thats perfectly valid
Old 11-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #45
She's the One

Quote:
No need to get offended. I just believe that the majority of religious people are of their particular religion because of what their parents told them to do when they were little. The ones who arent are looking to fill a void.

If you had phrased it this way in your initial post, I probably wouldn't have responded. This is much less insulting and simplistic than the first one. And much less offensive.