Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Had I not had strong power but sacred expeiences testifying of the reality of Christ, His divine mission, atonement and sacrifice, I think Buddahism would be the way to go.
I almost became a Buddhist. Years ago, I thought Christianity was all about following mundane rules and living in fear of hell. But then I started reading up on Bono's faith. No joke, U2 kept me interested in being a Christian - as crazy as it sounds.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:49 AM
Actually I'd argue that the Church's position within the Roman world towards the end was maybe beneficial on balance. It provided a bridge between antiquity and the medieval/modern world, where European civilisation is concerned.

Sure, slam religion and all the rest, but understand that in the world as it is lived, someone or something will rise to fill any political vacuum.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #153
Refugee

Local Time: 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
what do you mean by "prominent"? the most believers?
Yes.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #154
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I almost became a Buddhist. Years ago, I thought Christianity was all about following mundane rules and living in fear of hell. But then I started reading up on Bono's faith. No joke, U2 kept me interested in being a Christian - as crazy as it sounds.
I honestly don't understand why Bono considers himself a Christian. His views are simple and easy to agree with, whereas Christian religions often bury the real messages under their political agendas. (Again, I don't mean Christian persons, I mean the religions themselves.) Bono's view is "God is love." When he cites the Bible, he cites things that support that view, like about how God loves the impoverished. That's something I could get behind.

The first thing you see when you drive up to my Church? A large white sign that says "Pray to End Abortion." You see that before you see the church or even the church's sign. It's like they want to embarrass me one more time when I decide I'm going.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I honestly don't understand why Bono considers himself a Christian. His views are simple and easy to agree with, whereas Christian religions often bury the real messages under their political agendas. (Again, I don't mean Christian persons, I mean the religions themselves.) Bono's view is "God is love." When he cites the Bible, he cites things that support that view, like about how God loves the impoverished. That's something I could get behind.

The first thing you see when you drive up to my Church? A large white sign that says "Pray to End Abortion." You see that before you see the church or even the church's sign. It's like they want to embarrass me one more time when I decide I'm going.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? I think it is why Bono says he is a Christian but is uncomfortable with organized religion.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #156
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Yes.

is that true though? not too many christians in india and china.

i have no idea though.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #157
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

i have no idea though.
I thought the same thing, so I looked it up. Apparently 1/3 of the population is Christian of one denomination or another.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #158
Refugee

Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way around? I think it is why Bono says he is a Christian but is uncomfortable with organized religion.
Has he said he's uncomfortable with organized religion? If he has, then I retract my statement to say I agree with him.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #160
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I don't think you should characterize all of Christianity with North American Christianity. I actually heard that a certain Chinese organization is preparing to send missionaries over to North America, and I think we need it (well, as a Christian looking at how far off track things have gotten). Also, that's not at all what all churches are like anyway, so just because one group is terribly misguided doesn't mean that you should write off everyone.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #161
The Fly

Quote:

i have no idea though.
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The CIA World Factbook indicates that 3%-4% of all the population in China are Christians (2002 est.).[37] Independent estimates have ranged from 40 million[33] to 100 million.[38]
Quote:
Christianity is India's third-largest religion, with approximately 24 million followers, constituting 2.4% of India's population.[2]
I think that Christianity is way bigger in the developing world than it is here.

I guess maybe because I'm in Canada it feels like it's a lot more secular in North America? It's interesting reading the different things about how pervasive Christianity is as a cultural force in the U.S.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 AM   #162
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttnKleinkind View Post
that's not at all what all churches are like anyway, so just because one group is terribly misguided doesn't mean that you should write off everyone.
when the other churches do or say nothing about the "misguided" churches actions, how can people not judge the religion as a whole? their silence or indifference can be misinterpreted as acceptance by others.

Quote:
I think that Christianity is way bigger in the developing world than it is here.
it's easy to gain followers in parts of the world where hope has fled the people. quite an ingenious plan, insidious, but ingenious nonetheless.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofsorrow View Post
when the other churches do or say nothing about the "misguided" churches actions, how can people not judge the religion as a whole? their silence or indifference can be misinterpreted as acceptance by others.

No, that's pretty poor logic actually. For one thing, there is no 'one' Church. That horse bolted about a thousand years ago. Am I to answer for a Lutheran? A Mormon? A Baptist?

It is most particularly bad logic as it falls in the same basket as the early-naughties calls for all Muslims to prove they weren't the same as the 9/11 hijackers. As if loud condemnation would ever be enough. Do you really want to go there?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:55 AM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Also who says that hope has fled the people in the developing world? Which countries? Let's get specific. I'm sure that the burden of being not-american weighs heavy upon them but most seem able to work up a smile now and then.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 AM   #165
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
No, that's pretty poor logic actually. For one thing, there is no 'one' Church. That horse bolted about a thousand years ago. Am I to answer for a Lutheran? A Mormon? A Baptist?

It is most particularly bad logic as it falls in the same basket as the early-naughties calls for all Muslims to prove they weren't the same as the 9/11 hijackers. As if loud condemnation would ever be enough. Do you really want to go there?
yes of course it's poor logic. really there is no one church? wow, didn't realise that. of course i didn't claim there was either. how dare i call for christians to take responsibilty for the actions of their brethren just because they all essentially share the same core belief.
i take back my previous statement. it's better to to bury our head in the sand and claim "he's not my brother".

Quote:
I'm sure that the burden of being not-american weighs heavy upon them but most seem able to work up a smile now and then.
your so right. a smile can chase the famine away can't it? smiling can quench the drought? smilling can end the endless pain and suffering of the innocent right? once again you have proven me wrong. i bow to your superior logic sir.