Who can explain the mysteries of Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's no such thing as Santa Claus, so there's one mystery explained.

Merry Christmas! :)
well, there's no santa anymore...

santa-plane.jpg

You mean the mystery that everybody spends time with their family, while nobody really wants to? I certainly can't explain that :crack:

The Bible isn't historical. Once you start there, most of the remaining mysteries seem to fall into place, and become not so mysterious at all. Though admittedly, this does not solve the whole Santa Claus mystery....I haven't figured that one out yet, but I'm pretty sure it involved teleportation.

The Bible isn't historical. Once you start there, most of the remaining mysteries seem to fall into place, and become not so mysterious at all. Though admittedly, this does not solve the whole Santa Claus mystery....I haven't figured that one out yet, but I'm pretty sure it involved teleportation.

:up::lol::up:

The Bible isn't historical?
We can't trust these scriptures?

Why do you believe that?
What evidence do you have to support your view?

Why do you believe that?

The New Testament was written 30 - 70 years after Jesus died. Also, the Bible was put together around 300 AD by a council (I believe the Nicene), which selected which gospels would go into it. Any biblical scholar will tell you that.

The New Testament was written 30 - 70 years after Jesus died. Also, the Bible was put together around 300 AD by a council (I believe the Nicene), which selected which gospels would go into it. Any biblical scholar will tell you that.

So, I am to believe your three sentences answer the questions I asked?

Can we start with "the Bible was put together around 300 A.D."

Over what time period were these 66 books written?

I'm not trying to put you off here, but I don't think a Biblical scholar would agree with your post.

Why do you believe that?

The Bible is some book some people made up one day. Fact is in there only when fact was convenient for the authors.

The question (at this point) isn't "is the bible a historically reliable document". We know with a great deal of certainty that the scriptures we read today are the scriptures that were written (put together) then.

Any scholar that works in textual criticism will confirm this.

Just because something is historical doesn't mean that it's divine.

So, I am to believe your three sentences answer the questions I asked?

Sorry, but what I said is a fact.

Can we start with "the Bible was put together around 300 A.D."

Over what time period were these 66 books written?

Like Dalton said, just because these books are historical do not mean they are divine.

And yes, the Bible was put together around 300 AD. Some gospels were chosen, some were not.

I'm not trying to put you off here, but I don't think a Biblical scholar would agree with your post.

Sorry to say, but a lot would.

My problem is that I read as much ignorance from those who are not believers on this forum that I read from those who are believers. There is ample evidence for those who want to believe that the bible is divine to point to. The history of the bible is remarkable.

The simple fact of the matter is that some of the brightest minds of the last 500 years have looked at all the facts and come to have "faith" in what the bible teaches. Some of the brightest minds of the last 500 years have looked at all the facts and come to not believe what the bible teaches.

If the brightest minds in history have wrestled with this question, isn't it strange that so many of you have come to a decision in such a (seemingly) flippant manner?

If there was consensus among biblical scholars perhaps there wouldn't be 600+ sects of Christianity.

And if there wasn't a successful vote of the first ecumenical council to name Jesus Christ the Son of God, there likely wouldn't be consensus on that either.

If the brightest minds in history have wrestled with this question, isn't it strange that so many of you have come to a decision in such a (seemingly) flippant manner?

You're not referring to me, are you?

I never get involved in discussions about the Bible (or other scripture) mostly because it really doesn't interest me that much. My belief or lack there of has nothing to do with what I think of the book. I would not likely be swayed either way just because it exists or because some parts may or may not be historically accurate.

Then again I stopped wondering about what happens to us after we die some time ago, and frankly it has been liberating to me and the way I live my life.

If there was consensus among biblical scholars perhaps there wouldn't be 600+ sects of Christianity.

And if there wasn't a successful vote of the first ecumenical council to name Jesus Christ the Son of God, there likely wouldn't be consensus on that either.

oh.dear.christ.

have any of you studied history beyond a survey level class? anyone?

^ Thou doth presume too much.

If you expect more than mostly flippant remarks in a thread started by iron horse, you don't spend much time here.

If you expect more than mostly flippant remarks in a thread started by iron horse, you don't spend much time here.

Thankfully I do not. And frankly, Iron Horse isn't much less reasonable in his opinions than the rest of you. That's not a compliment to him.

At what point do you push your chair back and say, "fuck me! I spend a LOT of time arguing on the internet."

Sometimes I wonder (way off topic I know)

if I'm really on a forum about U2.

The Unforgettable Fire....I guess, was very forgettable.

You really expect every U2 fan to be a Christian?

Honestly, Iron Horse, that is quite naive of you.

Back
Top Bottom