Who are we really? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:34 AM
I have to say that I am a bit offended by some comments in this thread about Facebook and Twitter being a place for narcissism. I don't see myself like that in anyway. I participate in those social mediums as a way to connect with friends and would-be friends and contacts. Granted, I do not post mundane things, like what I had for breakfast, but I do post whatever I find thought provoking or humorous. I even talk about important (but not personal) things in my life to share with others. If what I post leads to more people following me, that's cool - hopefully I'm affecting someone in a positive way. That doesn't mean that I think I'm the most awesome person ever.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

People use social media for all sorts of reasons and present themselves in all sorts of ways. Much of the social media I've been exposed to has been of the mundane variety and my comments were meant to reflect what I've experienced and observed. It was not meant to be comprehensive. I will cop though to overgeneralization.

I do use twitter when I'm looking for up to minute information--first news. I've found it very effective for that.

Look, I sometimes read a blog by a racehorse I've followed. And I'm pretty sure she doesn't even write it herself.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
not sure what to say. in my journal somewhere i posted (and answered) a list of 100 questions that was kind of interesting. i could start a thread with those questions and maybe some of the regulars could answer and we could all get to know each other a bit better. just a thought.
That would be fun.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
That would be fun.

hmmm ... looking back on it, it was actually "100 things about me," which might take more effort than i've got right now.

but if someone wants to start ...
Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Meaning, no actual questions? You provide your own list of 100 things about you?
You're right. That would take a bit of effort.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Meaning, no actual questions? You provide your own list of 100 things about you?
You're right. That would take a bit of effort.

i'd repost mine, but it was 4 years ago, and some things have changed.

it was a fun exercise though.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I have to say that I am a bit offended by some comments in this thread about Facebook and Twitter being a place for narcissism. I don't see myself like that in anyway. I participate in those social mediums as a way to connect with friends and would-be friends and contacts. Granted, I do not post mundane things, like what I had for breakfast, but I do post whatever I find thought provoking or humorous. I even talk about important (but not personal) things in my life to share with others. If what I post leads to more people following me, that's cool - hopefully I'm affecting someone in a positive way. That doesn't mean that I think I'm the most awesome person ever.
No need to be offended, it's about people who use it in a certain way. And overuse it. And it's just my worthless opinion.

There have actually been studies about social media and narcissism, I think it's an interesting topic.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I wouldn't call your opinion worthless

I see social media like all other forms of socialization. At a party for example, you get people who always talk about themselves, or you get those who go out of their way to pick on others. Online, you get the same thing - people who love to boast or people who love to verbally attack others. Twitter and Facebook are just like a real life party.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

other than that ... not sure what to say. in my journal somewhere i posted (and answered) a list of 100 questions that was kind of interesting. i could start a thread with those questions and maybe some of the regulars could answer and we could all get to know each other a bit better. just a thought.
I remember that! I think that was not too long after I joined Interference and I remember I did feel like I "knew" you a little better from that post.

I haven't been in the journals in ages. . .I heard that they aren't used as much here anymore.

I'd love to do that 100 things here, but I don't know how we'd get it going.

It sounds like most of us are not overly different from how we are in "real" life here, beyond being a little less confrontational in real life. I know there are those who have created alters and reentered the FYM conversation, but they seem to be identified and called out very quickly. I guess even those of us who want to "hide" here can't. Which makes what this woman in Catfish did all that much more remarkable.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

i do think it's true that there's no "hiding" for the regulars in here. i could spot everyone's writing from a mile away.

i'd think that disguising your writing might be as difficult as disguising your voice. which is interest.

if i have some time tomorrow, maybe i'll start the 100 Things About Me thread.

i haven't posted in the journals in years.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

I am largely the same person online as off, although I am much more outgoing online. In person I am really shy and I find it very difficult to meet people and make friends. I can't even remember the last person I met and became friends with in person -- it has to have been at least a decade ago. Online offers me the ability to think through what I want to say and better plan how I present myself. I can also back out of uncomfortable situations online much easier (the old "Sorry! My computer locked up" line comes in very handy) online, so I'm much more willing to jump into conversations than I would be in person.

For the past 15 years I have been a full time caregiver to my disabled aunt and, until her death several years ago, also to my mom...not having an outside job, and having the time I can spend away limited also cuts down on the meeting new people opportunities. So for me, online communities, including social media sites, have enabled me to have contact with people and to make friends.

And I'll admit it -- I am one of those people who has posted about what I had for breakfast (complete with photos of the waffles every stage of the way from batter to plate). But we did have a highly intellectual discussion of the merits of various waffle toppings and methods of consuming them, so it should be acceptable to the FYM crowd.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
And I'll admit it -- I am one of those people who has posted about what I had for breakfast (complete with photos of the waffles every stage of the way from batter to plate). But we did have a highly intellectual discussion of the merits of various waffle toppings and methods of consuming them, so it should be acceptable to the FYM crowd.

Ah, but your description of breakfast would have made me laugh. Therefore contributing a great social value to a social media.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
I am largely the same person online as off, although I am much more outgoing online. In person I am really shy and I find it very difficult to meet people and make friends. I can't even remember the last person I met and became friends with in person -- it has to have been at least a decade ago. Online offers me the ability to think through what I want to say and better plan how I present myself. I can also back out of uncomfortable situations online much easier (the old "Sorry! My computer locked up" line comes in very handy) online, so I'm much more willing to jump into conversations than I would be in person.

For the past 15 years I have been a full time caregiver to my disabled aunt and, until her death several years ago, also to my mom...not having an outside job, and having the time I can spend away limited also cuts down on the meeting new people opportunities. So for me, online communities, including social media sites, have enabled me to have contact with people and to make friends.

Indra, you were one of the first people I "met"here. I've always enjoyed your posts (I missed the waffle one though ) It was from you I learned that The Church is more than the place I go every Saturday morning
Old 07-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #44
The Fly

Local Time: 05:34 AM
everything's just fine = the power of positive thinking
Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Ah, but your description of breakfast would have made me laugh. Therefore contributing a great social value to a social media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Indra, you were one of the first people I "met"here. I've always enjoyed your posts (I missed the waffle one though ) It was from you I learned that The Church is more than the place I go every Saturday morning
aww... Thanks!

About posting mundane crap on facebook -- I'm from Ohio...I know I'm boring. I just don't mind.