White American Basketball League

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Basketball league for white Americans targets Augusta 011910 - The Augusta Chronicle

By Billy Byler| Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who has publicly expressed his support for minor league teams in the past, said he would not do the same for this team.

"As a sports enthusiast, I have always supported bringing more sporting activities to Augusta," he said. "However, in this instance I could not support in good conscience bringing in a team that did not fit with the spirit of inclusiveness that I, along with many others, have worked so hard to foster in our city."

Clint Bryant, athletic director at Augusta State University, laughed when he heard the news.

"It's so absurd, it's funny, but it gives you an idea of the sickness of our society" he said. "It shows you what lengths people will go to just to be mean-spirited. I think at any basketball level, no matter if it's all black, all white, all Hispanic, all Asian or anyone else, the players should just be a basketball team."

Don "Moose" Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league's roster restrictions is not racism.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

The Atlanta-based league, which will operate as a single-entity owning all of its teams, is looking for local contacts to pay $10,000 to become a "licensee" in one of 12 cities throughout the Southeast. Lewis said he has already received threats from people opposed to the roster restrictions and several cities have told him to stay out of town. Lewis said he has yet to hear from any one in Augusta.

"We need a local person ingrained into the community to make this successful," he said.

Lewis said he expects to eventually find support in every town with a team.

"People will come out and support a product they can identify with. I'm the spoken minority right now, but if people will give us a chance, it'll work... The white game of basketball, which is essentially a fundamental game, works."

Lewis said he wasn't sure where the team will play.

Augusta has had problems with minor league basketball teams in the past, but the issues never centered around race. The Augusta Drive lasted less than a month before folding in 1995, citing financial reasons. The Augusta Groove made it through a full, 20-game schedule in 2009, but accusations from players and local businesses that the team wasn't paying its bills surrounded the team during the second half of the season. The team later shut down in the offseason.

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

No, racism is dead...

I didn't realize that players like Arenas behave that way strictly because they're black-and that street ball played by people of color is the reason why some players behave the way they do. Well that ties it all up into a neat little bow...I guess no white player in the NBA has ever been in trouble and they don't play that nasty "street ball" and they only play fundamental basketball.

Some of the comments there say that this Moose guy is a member of the KKK. I don't know about that..

If ever they play interleague, they are so going to get their asses whupped.:tsk:

We need to make our basketball players more like this! YEAH!

6a01156f2c3287970c0115709cadd3970b-500pi

i understand that the % of white Americans in the NBA is at all time lows, but there are other ways to go about this...particularly better developmental programs for white youth.

How many Black Colleges are there?

Well, here's a list:

Alabama A&M University Normal(AL) Public
Alabama State University Montgomery(AL) Public
Albany State University Albany(GA) Public
Alcorn State University Alcorn State(MS) Public
Allen University Columbia(SC) Private
Arkansas Baptist College Little Rock(AR) Private
Benedict College Columbia(SC) Private
Bennett College Greensboro(NC) Private
Bethune-Cookman University Daytona Beach(FL) Private
Bluefield State College Bluefield(WV) Public
Bowie State University Bowie(MD) Public
Central State University Wilberforce(OH) Public
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania Cheyney(PA) Public
Claflin University Orangeburg(SC) Private
Clark Atlanta University Atlanta(GA) Private
Coppin State University Baltimore(MD) Public
Delaware State University Dover(DE) Public
Dillard University New Orleans(LA) Private
Edward Waters College Jacksonville(FL) Private
Elizabeth City State University Elizabeth City(NC) Public
Fayetteville State University Fayetteville(NC) Public
Fisk University Nashville(TN) Private
Florida A&M University Tallahassee(FL) Public
Florida Memorial College Miami(FL) Private
Fort Valley State University Fort Valley(GA) Public
Grambling State University Grambling(LA) Public
Hampton University Hampton(VA) Private
Harris-Stowe State University St. Louis(MO) Public
Howard University Washington(DC) Private
Huston-Tillotson University Austin(TX) Private
Jackson State University Jackson(MS) Public
Jarvis Christian College Hawkins(TX) Private
Johnson C. Smith University Charlotte(NC) Private
Kentucky State University Frankfort(KY) Public
Lane College Jackson(TN) Private
Langston University Langston(OK) Public
LeMoyne-Owen College Memphis(TN) Private
Lincoln University Lincoln University(PA) Public
Lincoln University Jefferson City(MO) Public
Livingstone College Salisbury(NC) Private
Miles College Birmingham(AL) Private
Mississippi Valley State University Itta Bena(MS) Public
Morehouse College Atlanta(GA) Private
Morgan State University Baltimore(MD) Public
Morris College Sumter(SC) Private
Norfolk State University Norfolk(VA) Public
North Carolina A&T State University Greensboro(NC) Public
North Carolina Central University Durham(NC) Public
Oakwood University Huntsville(AL) Private
Paine College Augusta(GA) Private
Paul Quinn College Dallas(TX) Private
Philander Smith College Little Rock(AR) Private
Prairie View A&M University Prairie View(TX) Public
Rust College Holly Springs(MS) Private
Savannah State University Savannah(GA) Public
Shaw University Raleigh(NC) Private
South Carolina State University Orangeburg(SC) Public
Southern University and A&M College Baton Rouge(LA) Public
Southern University - New Orleans New Orleans(LA) Public
Southwestern Christian College Terrell(TX) Private
Spelman College Atlanta(GA) Private
St. Augustine's College Raleigh(NC) Private
St. Paul's College Lawrenceville(VA) Private
Stillman College Tuscaloosa(AL) Private
Talladega College Talladega(AL) Private
Tennessee State University Nashville(TN) Public
Texas College Tyler(TX) Private
Texas Southern University Houston(TX) Public
Tougaloo College Tougaloo(MS) Private
Tuskegee University Tuskegee(AL) Private
University of Arkansas - Pine Bluff Pine Bluff(AR) Public
University of Maryland - Eastern Shore Princess Anne(MD) Public
University of the District of Columbia Washington(DC) Public
Virginia State University Petersburg(VA) Public
Virginia Union University Richmond(VA) Private
Voorhees College Denmark(SC) Private
West Virginia State University Institute(WV) Public
Wilberforce University Wilberforce(OH) Private
Wiley College Marshall(TX) Private
Winston-Salem State University Winston-Salem(NC) Public
Xavier University of Louisiana New Orleans(LA) Private

How many White Colleges are there?

There used to be 2?

But, public pressure made them change their policies.

Is there a double standard here?

Who has an advantage at making a basketball team?
or even being picked to play in a local pick-up game at a public park?

White people are greedy. They already have a league all to themselves, it's called the National Hockey League.

I just hope at least one of the team is called the Rebels with an old white guy as a mascot.

The Franchises are:

Brian Scates Division
Montgomery White Sheets
Birmingham Burning Crosses
Charleston Grand Wizards
Oxford Lynch Mob
Atlanta Aryans
Tallahassee Klaverns

Jefferson Davis Divison
Greensboro Tree Nooses
Chattanooga White Knights
Hattiesburg Hangmen
Savannah Supremacists
Nashville Neo Nazis
Augusta Brotherhood

Besides what appears to be a "culturally frustrated" (read racist) inspiration to the start of this league, the idea is interesting. If a white guy can't break into the Majors, just start a white guy league. Kind of like the negro leagues back in the day, eh? A a female league?

Besides what appears to be a "culturally frustrated" (read racist) inspiration to the start of this league, the idea is interesting. If a white guy can't break into the Majors, just start a white guy league. Kind of like the negro leagues back in the day, eh? A a female league?

Yeah, because they couldn't "break into" the Majors for the same reasons, right?

The Franchises are:

Brian Scates Division
Montgomery White Sheets
Birmingham Burning Crosses
Charleston Grand Wizards
Oxford Lynch Mob
Atlanta Aryans
Tallahassee Klaverns

Jefferson Davis Divison
Greensboro Tree Nooses
Chattanooga White Knights
Hattiesburg Hangmen
Savannah Supremacists
Nashville Neo Nazis
Augusta Brotherhood

No Wasilla Teabaggers?

i understand that the % of white Americans in the NBA is at all time lows, but there are other ways to go about this...particularly better developmental programs for white youth.

It would help if more mothers would
breast feed their babies.

Give them whole milk instead of apple juice in
their baby bottles.

And let the youngsters play!!!!!

ok i'll finally bite...

i'm involved in basketball on a high level... played in college, coach in high school, run camps in the summer. this guy's idea is offensive to me on so many levels that it's infuriating.

#1... yes, there is a problem with a lack of fundamental skills in today's american basketball player. this problem is rooted in a poor grassroots system that is spawned from the overall feeling of entitlement that many in america's youth feel today, be they black, white or green. it has nothing to do with race whatsoever.

#2... the broad based assumption and myth that the color of one's skin makes you better or worse than somebody else. one's ability to play basketball has nothing to do with wether or not they are black or white, despite the popular myth.

basketball is popular with kids in low income situations because it is one of the cheapest sports to play. all you need is a ball and a hoop and you can work on your skill. if you have a friend, you can compete. you can not do this in football, baseball, soccer, hockey, etc. etc. etc. it is unique to the sport.

it's not a race thing... it's an income thing. the state of indiana became huge with basketball because the low income rural farm kids, mostly white mind you, could easily afford to play it. again... ball, basket. that's it.

a simple look at the history of basketball shows that it's always been a sport dominated by the poor, the down trodden... polish imigrants, jewish imigrants after ww2, farm boys from french lick, indiana...

shit... the logo of the NBA it's self...

nba%20logo.png

is modeled after Jerry West...

jerry_west_300_070308.jpg

... is the son of a poor coal miner from west virginia, who's only way out was with a ball and a hoop. it's the identical story of the black kid from the inner city. the american story.

so yea... this guy can suck it.

oh, and hewson? i can still dunk on a regulation rim, 30 pounds overweight from my playing days. so neener neener neener :wink:

Back
Top Bottom