Where are the Christians?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have been online since 1998.

-Going about the net trying to spread the good news about that rebel from Nazareth

-Posting the Sunday Dispatches

-Discussing the merits of the Christian faith

-From the Korn boards to a brothel in Nevada

-I've tried to get around

What I find is puzzling is that I encounter very few Christians on these sites.

Your problem ultimately is one of communication, perhaps.

So,

-Going about the net trying to spread the good news about that rebel from Nazareth

What is the good news, in your view? Can it be explained in a more accessible way?

"If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed. " - Terence McKenna

"The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

If you're looking for honesty, people who try to spread religion to me are exactly the types of people who turn me away from it.

I find it much easier to be apathetic at this point.

Have you tried posting on Christian sites? Posting on Korn and brothel sites is like going to Holland and asking where all the Madagascans are. I mean sure, you'll find a few, but it you want a Madagascan you go to Madagascar, you know?

I could say a lot of things, but won't bother.

Still, if your aim is to spread the good word, then I'd say a place where you can't see many Christians - like, presumably, here - is probably exactly where you should be. Keep up the good work!

That is a good excuse to belong to a brothel website though...:wink:

wife: "What the hell is this I find on your history?!"

husband: "Oh honey, I was just spreading the good word. I'm going this weekend for an on-site spreading."

wife: "You're such a good man, what did I do to deserve you?"

If you're looking for honesty, people who try to spread religion to me are exactly the types of people who turn me away from it.

i'm not apathetic so much, as i just like my way of looking at it. i see your point, of course.

i know what i think about religion, but it's madness to dismiss any other view because you just can't be sure. that's what i appreciate about christians (or in fact, anyone) who don't force their views upon you, especially when nobody can say for certain who is right or wrong.

i've never understood the rationale behind militant types on any side of the god/no god debate, tbh.

If I really wanted to be snarky I could add (truthfully) that I am of the Christian faith, but I bet you wouldn't know it because I'm not forever going on about it.

I bet that I am not alone.

it's 'Malagasy' not 'Madagascan' though

Have you tried posting on Christian sites? Posting on Korn and brothel sites is like going to Holland and asking where all the Madagascans are. I mean sure, you'll find a few, but it you want a Madagascan you go to Madagascar, you know?
:lmao:

I'm a Christian.

I think most people here in FYM know it too.

But since my politics tend to be more liberal, I don't know if that "counts" or not.

(Which is funny, because I'm guessing I'm probably one of the most theologically conservative Christian posters on this forum. . .not that you'd ever guess it).

This explains the lack of engagement people encounter with iron horse. He's not here to discuss ore even be a U2 fan. He's only here to preach.

Apparently they're here; they just don't respond to or agree with your kind of posts.

This pretty much captures what I don't like about church and any expectation that there's a "right" way to express Christianity.

I'm not at all apathetic of many basic Christian beliefs and values, but I don't drink Kool Aid and churches and ministries tend to be full of people who do. So I avoid them. I want 100% fruit juice blend lol - hard to find!

Iron Horse, what I personally appreciate about your Sunday Dispatches is that there is no commentary. Usually they do a good job of capturing the current and common vibe prevalent in most of the threads and provide an opportunity to silently meditate on the basic Christian'ness' underlying all our bickering and heated debates.

What sort of validation are you looking for?

I am a spiritual person, who happens to a Catholic Church. I believe that my relationship with God is a personal one. I don't believe in "conversion." I think if a person comes to Christ, it has to be his or her choice. I also, have the greatest respect for all other religions.

I'm a Christian.

But since my politics tend to be more liberal, I don't know if that "counts" or not.

(Which is funny, because I'm guessing I'm probably one of the most theologically conservative Christian posters on this forum. . .not that you'd ever guess it).

You know, I have never understood how so many Christians tend to side with the pro-gun, pro use of military force, "You're poor cause you're lazy" side of US Politics. And all these wacky atheists talking peace and charity? It seems ass backwards to me. WWJD? Buy a gun, bomb Iran and tell the homeless family in the shelter to quit whining and suck it up. AMEN!

:wave:

People aren't always "loud" about it, sometimes quiet is better too. You can be quiet and still be effective. :)

Actions rather than words too, that sort of thing

I'm surprised you don't see Christians here, iron horse. I see many here and I'm not even looking for them.

You know, I have never understood how so many Christians tend to side with the pro-gun, pro use of military force, "You're poor cause you're lazy" side of US Politics. And all these wacky atheists talking peace and charity? It seems ass backwards to me. WWJD? Buy a gun, bomb Iran and tell the homeless family in the shelter to quit whining and suck it up. AMEN!

Not all of us, feel this way. In regards to Pro-war, guns and poverty. :wave:

WWJD......those who have done for the least of my brothers, has done so for me. That is what he would do.

Iron Horse, I agree with BVS and Martha. You seem to be here just to preach, and every often what you do preach is not Christian-like.

Why do you feel the need to preach? Why can't you accept that people are going to believe what they want to believe?

I hope you respond to this with a thorough answer and not by simply saying that you love "the rebel from Nazareth."

I'm a Christian.

but, you see, i don't think you count because you don't sit there and tell TIH how wonderful he is because he's spreading the word, nor do you encourage his smoking addiction or other various justifications for whatever behavior he views as admirable through whatever nostalgic lens he turns on himself.

the difference, it seems to me, is that TIH is looking not to communicate or discuss, but to be affirmed.

and FYM is not the place to go for affirmation.

Aqui.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." - John 3:16

I'm a devout Christian, but occasionally have existential views. I think it's wrong for anyone to push religion on others. To each their own though, IMO.
I grew up in a Catholic household, but now that I'm free to meander at the wonderful age of 19 years old, I consider myself a solid Christian now. I don't think religion and politics should merge either. It isn't right. Freedom is a natural right, but people try too hard to push things upon each other. There's a fine line between pushing Christianity and spreading the word. :shrug:
By the way, my intention was not to offend anyone but rather share my opinion. :)

Back
Top Bottom