Where are the Christians? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 02:34 AM
(Warning You May be Offended)

I am not christian. But when i was at uni i found it so annoying how the Christian Union forced their faith upon you. If i was waiting for a bus they would come up to me and ask all these personal questions and offer me all these freebies. I thought it was disgraceful. They would not take no for an answer. They asked me if i believed in jesus and i said "he might have existed but he definitley did not come back to life" in a polite way to try and fend them off. But it didnt work.

If i wanted to be a Christian i would research it myself and go to church based on my decision.

I dont like all these attempts to convert people

Old 01-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
and FYM is not the place to go for affirmation.
I suspect all the venting, heightened sensitivity, defensiveness, sarcasm, elitism, and every other ism we see around here is really at its core a plea for affirmation. And every one of us has hot buttons.

Especially since religion and politics are not realms of polite conversation in everyday life, FYM is a convenient surrogate.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #33
Refugee

Hi MadForlt,

I am not offended, by the least, with your post. I think you have brought up a valid point. I understand what you are saying. As I posted above, I attend a Catholic Church on a regular basis. This is my choice. And I respect yours.

I have also had, Evangelical Christians attempt to "save me." I would simply say to them, no thanks for the literature, I already attend church. But, these folks, I encountered, had it in their minds. That if I didn't believe in the Bible and Jesus, according to them. I would not be saved, burn in the eternal fires of hell. You get the picture. Maybe the word "Catholic" was what really set them off.

My point is, everyone has the right to be treated with dignity.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
I'm surprised you don't see Christians here, iron horse. I see many here and I'm not even looking for them.
Same here, though I suspect Iron Horse has little time to actually do a bit of reading here with all his hit and run posts. I can even remember a time when most of the FYM threads were filled with Bible quotes. I'm sure glad those days are over.

As for proselytizing in general, I'm not that bothered by it anymore but I do expect people to take no for an answer.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I am so deeply sorry you didn't get my soul.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #36
October1977

(I'm responding to so many different responses to this thread as a whole. Don't mean to jump around in my response. And I've edited a few things after originally posting it.)

Jesus said to judge not, lest ye be judged. And if you SHOULD judge, you will be judged in the same manner in which you judge. Show mercy and you shall receive it, etc. Any Christian who says you are going to hell (or heaven) is wrong. They don't know. They can't know. And the authority isn't there's to make such a decision. The Bible also mentions several times that those who love the truth will find it. And that He will allow those who seek Him to find Him. It is indeed a very personal thing. And I love that quote from St. Francis. Jesus didn't demand change...but promoted it in the way He lived His life. But when asked, He didn't mince words either.

He also, when asked about paying taxes answered (paraphrasing), "Who's likeness do you see on this coin? Pay unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's. Pay unto God what is God's." In other words, in my opinion and going from memory alone, He really didn't get political at all. He got in the religous establishment's face, actually, for their hypocrisy and oppression of the people. But as far as government (authority), He submitted to it and in the Pauline Epistles, Paul instructs us to do the same.

Now whether there be a separation of church and state, I don't know. I don't agree with the sentiment that a nation should be "Christian" or not. There are over 1400 different denominations that fall under the banner, "Christian". So, if there should be a "Christian" nation, which section should it fall under? Which man-made "Christian" rules and regulations should the nation follow? It's too large of an umbrella and I don't believe any of the 1400 different denominations have it perfectly right.

However that may be, I believe God sent His only Son Who died for me, in an effort to reconcile Man, His creation, unto Himself. To have a relationship with those who believe, to provide freedom to the captives as the Bible says. And a government that promotes freedom of the individual, I think God would be for. But this is my opinion, and I have NO way of knowing for sure. But I know that freedom comes in many forms. And whether one is rich or poor, free or oppressed, one can have freedom either way. So I'm not convinced God cares either way about government but moreso about the individual.

I'm too far down in the thread to remember who started this thread, but a word of advice from someone who, after looking at a mirror provided by those other people responding in this forum, has had to abandon a post or two and eat some humble pie for being wrong and misguided and judgemental - don't open up a post like that in here. Jesus was a MASTER communicator, imo, and told stories that the people related to in order to teach His ways. Be subtle, not pushy. Loving and patient. Humble because none of us REALLY know. I know what you were aiming for - wanting to know who else believed the same way you did. But why? So it would provide an opportunity for you to "spread the word"? If that's the case, just go a different way about it. Don't open up a can of worms unless you've thought it through and can help your cause rather than hurt it.

Just my opinion. I've been there and was wrong, so I'm not judging you. Simply trying to encourage you. And I haven't been here long enough or at least wasn't paying attention to read the "Sunday Dispatch" or whatever it is you do. I'm simply responding to this one post.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #37
Refugee

That was a beautiful post, October1977, thank you.

Quote:
And whether one is rich or poor, free or oppressed, one can have freedom either way.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #38
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
(Warning You May be Offended)

I am not christian. But when i was at uni i found it so annoying how the Christian Union forced their faith upon you. If i was waiting for a bus they would come up to me and ask all these personal questions and offer me all these freebies. I thought it was disgraceful. They would not take no for an answer. They asked me if i believed in jesus and i said "he might have existed but he definitley did not come back to life" in a polite way to try and fend them off. But it didnt work.

If i wanted to be a Christian i would research it myself and go to church based on my decision.

I dont like all these attempts to convert people
You put in words exactly how I feel. We get Jehova whitnesses at the door often, and it's really annoying. They're the LAST people I'd like at my door at 10am on a sunday morning.
I do not believe, but I do realise that there are plenty of people who do. And I respect that. I respect that they believe in something.
And I appreciate it if they respect me in return for believing my own thing.

Trying to convert people is not a sign of respect to me.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:34 AM
October1977, that was beautiful.

I liked this part the best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by October1977 View Post
Jesus said to judge not, lest ye be judged. And if you SHOULD judge, you will be judged in the same manner in which you judge. Show mercy and you shall receive it, etc. Any Christian who says you are going to hell (or heaven) is wrong. They don't know. They can't know. And the authority isn't there's to make such a decision.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #40
The Male

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
Probably out there trying to interfere in people's lives..........

Christian here. I don't feel a need to bring it up regularly, but I do enjoy a good theological discussion on occasion.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

Where are the Christians?
Hello my friend,

I really can't tell you.

It seems this thread was red meat for some of the lions.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #42
Refugee

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Dont take this as offensive

I thought it was funny - they had a similar discussion on the Oasis forum which soon turned into a insult fest - about 3 posts to be precise

THIS IS A JOKE

Old 01-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #43
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
proselytizing

I could NOT figure out how to spell that word.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

October1977 has the way of it for me for the most part. The only thing that bugs me is how much people in FYM sit here and talk about people being open to other religions and what not, but every single time I see a post about the Bible, or Christianity in general, I can't help but notice haughty, offensive, etc. posts following it. THAT would be the main reason I don't post in this forum, especially when matters of religion are at hand because, well, I am Christian, my religion is important to me, and I really don't need to be treated like an idiot for it.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
October1977 has the way of it for me for the most part. The only thing that bugs me is how much people in FYM sit here and talk about people being open to other religions and what not, but every single time I see a post about the Bible, or Christianity in general, I can't help but notice haughty, offensive, etc. posts following it. THAT would be the main reason I don't post in this forum, especially when matters of religion are at hand because, well, I am Christian, my religion is important to me, and I really don't need to be treated like an idiot for it.

while this post seems like a sweeping generalization -- the kind of generalization i assume you'd dislike reading if it were about Christians -- it has inspired some questions:

so you think that it's the religion itself that bother's people and not the individual's presentation of the religion?

also, do you think that there are some beliefs that appear to be inherent to Christianity that some people might think are (inherently) idiotic?

is that not their right to respect your right to believe whatever you want, but also to have the right to tell you that they disagree with you?

it seems like for so many part of being a Christian is not only telling others how to live -- is that not going to inspire a reaction?

some people in here like to frame their religion and their beliefs as truths that have to be heard, and that it might make us uncomfortable, but it's the truth so it must be said. to me, that's precisely what inspires a haughty response.

very bluntly -- and this is not at all addressed at you -- but if someone tells me that they believe that gay people are objectively disordered and must live celibate lives or else they are going to hell, then i am going to treat them like the bloody idiot they are. and that includes the present Pope.