Where are the "antiwar" liberals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
December 5, 2008
A Loud Silence
That's the response from the "antiwar" wing of the Democratic party to Obama's Iraq sellout

A Loud Silence
That's the response from the "antiwar" wing of the Democratic party to Obama's Iraq sellout
by Justin Raimondo
Is it really possible that President-elect Barack Obama intends to break his campaign promise to "end the war" in Iraq, and keep US troops in that country well beyond the sixteen month timetable for withdrawal he advocated during the campaign?

The answer, according to the New York Times, is a fairly certain yes:

"On the campaign trail, Senator Barack Obama offered a pledge that electrified and motivated his liberal base, vowing to "end the war" in Iraq.

"But as he moves closer to the White House, President-elect Obama is making clearer than ever that tens of thousands of American troops will be left behind in Iraq, even if he can make good on his campaign promise to pull all combat forces out within 16 months.

"'I said that I would remove our combat troops from Iraq in 16 months, with the understanding that it might be necessary — likely to be necessary — to maintain a residual force to provide potential training, logistical support, to protect our civilians in Iraq,' Mr. Obama said this week as he introduced his national security team."

Tens of thousands – a prime target for terrorists, a "residual force" that, in any other context, would be seen as an army of occupation, and a reminder to the Iraqis that they still aren't free of us, nor we of them. That "residual" force, we are told, could number as high as 70,000 troops "for a substantial time even beyond 2011." At a cost of billions, to be sure.

So where is the left, anyway?

Glenn Greenwald, among the best of the liberals, is AWOL on Obama's foreign policy sellout. Sure, torture is bad, and it's very noble to be against it, I'm sure, but what about the endless war that gives it a conceptual framework and legitimizes it in the name of "national security"?

Where are the "antiwar" liberals? They're on their way to the Inauguration, and you'll have to pardon them if they slam the door of the limousine in our faces.

Okay, so what about the commies? As obnoxious and outright crazy as they can be, surely they are sufficiently sincere and consistent in their opposition to US imperialism to resist the lure of Obama-mania.

Well, not exactly … because, you see, unfortunately, they don't make commies like they used to. Take, for example, the softcore Communist party types who lord it over the main antiwar "coalition," United for Peace and Justice. These are old-style CPUSA types, whose subservience to the Democratic party is a matter of longstanding doctrine, and whose hopes for "Popular Front" with the incoming administration fit in quite well with the Obama-as-Roosevelt narrative the left is playing in their heads.

I respect the consistency of the palaeocons, I detest what they stand for but they actually have principles.

I respect the consistency of the palaeocons, I detest what they stand for but they actually have principles.

Hey I'm not a dinosaur! :D

Go Obama! Kick some Osama ass!

2234744995_3e9eb01d4f.jpg

"'I said that I would remove our combat troops from Iraq in 16 months, with the understanding that it might be necessary — likely to be necessary — to maintain a residual force to provide potential training, logistical support, to protect our civilians in Iraq,' Mr. Obama said this week as he introduced his national security team."

What part of this does Justin Raimondo not understand? How does this conflict with "antiwar" liberals?

it's funny how those who exist merely to antagonize "the left" seem to think that "the left" lacks as much nuance and maturity of thought as they themselves, like Raimondo, indeed do.

You still think Iraq has to do with Osama?

Are you putting words in my mouth again? I just made a statement that I hope Obama finds Osama. I want a proper hand over in Iraq and in Afghanistan before a pull out. Killing Taliban will help the handover in Afghanistan. Whether Obama or Bush does this I don't care.

Are you putting words in my mouth again? I just made a statement that I hope Obama finds Osama. I want a proper hand over in Iraq and in Afghanistan before a pull out. Killing Taliban will help the handover in Afghanistan. Whether Obama or Bush does this I don't care.

I was just wondering why you would put it in a thread about Iraq??? :shrug:

Surely you wouldn't have made the same post in a thread about the economy... so why in here?

Back
Top Bottom