What on earth is going on here?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
:shocked: This article is a couple of months old, but I've only just seen it recently and felt the need to ask you folks what you make of it. Have you heard of this psychological disorder before?

A woman with a bizarre fetish for inaninimate objects has revealed she has been married to the Berlin Wall for 29 years. Eija-Riitta Berliner-Mauer, 54, wed the concrete Berlin Wall in 1979.

Mrs Berliner-Mauer (German for Berlin Wall), whose fetish is said to have its roots in childhood, claimed she fell in love with the structure when she first saw it on television when she was seven. She began collecting "his" pictures and saving up for visits. On her sixth trip in 1979 they tied the knot before a handful of guests.

""The Great Wall of China's attractive, but he’s too thick – my husband is sexier".

While the rest of mankind rejoiced when the Wall, erected by the Soviets in 1961 to halt an exodus from East to West Berlin, was largely torn down in 1989, its "wife" was horrified. She said: “What they did was awful. They mutilated my husband."

She is said to have shifted her affections to a nearby garden fence.
Woman 'married' to Berlin Wall for 29 years - Telegraph

This bit from Mrs Berlin Wall's website had me in stitches:
"This is my husband. His name is the Berlin Wall and he was born on August 13, 1961. I expect you've heard of him; he is quite a celebrity. He lives in Berlin. My husband's job was to divide East and West Berlin. He is retired now."
http://www.berlinermauer.se/

What in Gods name is all that about? :eek:

The honeymoon must have been difficult.
I bet 'he' was torn between East and West Germany.
:huh:

I bet research will uncover information that her country of residence decided to allow homosexual marriage prior to her marrying an inanimate object.

I mean, isn't it obvious that's what type of crazy thing happens when you start letting The Gays get married?

:wink:

I've once read an article about this kind of fetish. It even has got a name, but I forgot it. It's people who fall in love with all kinds of objects, like phones, laptops, cars, trains or walls. They really see them as an object with a gender and all.

It's nice they set their love in stone. :)

Apologies, I know mental conditions like this are serious, but I just can't resist: he must have been stoned on their wedding day... and it must have been hard to tear down such a relationship. Wonder if there were cracks in their marriage? Maybe he suspected his wife of having an affair... and had a total breakdown. Now she is a wall widow.
Quote:
She is said to have shifted her affections to a nearby garden fence.
Sitting on the fence is generally unwise... :reject:

I dated Big Ben in college. It didn't work out; he was too tightly wound, and was always accusing me of being late. It was rather like talking to a wall.

Thank you and goodnight.

I've once read an article about this kind of fetish. It even has got a name, but I forgot it. It's people who fall in love with all kinds of objects, like phones, laptops, cars, trains or walls. They really see them as an object with a gender and all

It's objectiphilia. There was a storyline about it once on Boston Legal.

Well at least you don't have to beg the Berlin Wall to take out the trash, and it won't dump you for someone else :wink:

That woman is in need of some psychotherapy, pronto!

How does a woman make love to a wall anyway?

She should know there's a piece of her husband at the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum in Prince Edward Island, Canada. See below:

100_0159.jpg

There is some pieces left here in Berlin, at the Potsdamer Platz, the Mauerpark and some places else.
I'm sure she's got some souvenir as well. Hope no fake ones, as there have been more kilometers wall sold than ever have been in Berlin.

I have a piece that I was given as a Christmas gift years ago, I hope it's not fake. It's in a marked box and all that..

There's a huge piece of it at the John F. Kennedy Library

Just be positive and see it as an original one. ;)

Hm, that topic on Boston Legal? Sounds great. :)

I wonder if they could marry in church. After all, the GDR was officially an atheist country, and the wall belonging to East Germany I'm afraid most church priests and pastors have been hesitant.
On the other hand, it's a heterosexual relationship, so I'm quite confident someone was ready to marry them.

You know, having been married for 8 years now, I can say that this wall idea - not the worst idea I've ever heard.

So................... how exactly do they consumate the relationship? :uhoh:

One perk of being married to a wall: You can bang anyone and anything and the wall ain't never gonna say shit. I'm tellin ya, this chick seems crazy - but I'm thinking.....GENIUS? Hm? Maybe?

You know, having been married for 8 years now, I can say that this wall idea - not the worst idea I've ever heard.

One perk of being married to a wall: You can bang anyone and anything and the wall ain't never gonna say shit. I'm tellin ya, this chick seems crazy - but I'm thinking.....GENIUS? Hm? Maybe?

True dat :hmm:

But with the wall being unable to do anything about it, it's bound to become resentful of its wife's galavanting around with others.. Eventually he's going to become resentful and the relationship will suffer. He'll undoubtedly withdraw and put up an emotional wall..

O.. u c what I did there??

I'll go.. :slant:

True dat :hmm:

But with the wall being unable to do anything about it, it's bound to become resentful of its wife's galavanting around with others.. Eventually he's going to become resentful and the relationship will suffer. He'll undoubtedly withdraw and put up an emotional wall..

I see where you're coming from, BUT you're leaving out one major plot point....

READY?

k

here we go

SPOILERS!

IT'S A FUCKING WALL!

I think it's more "asexual." It's not like it's holding out by choice. Even if it wanted to bang the bejesus out of her it's.... a wall. :wink:

I think it's more "asexual." It's not like it's holding out by choice. Even if it wanted to bang the bejesus out of her it's.... a wall. :wink:

Though she could certainly bang the wall anytime she felt like it. . .

I mean really, who HASN'T banged a wall?

:D

Because guys can be walled off and funny

True-but at some point one tires of banging one's head against a wall. Two walls would go well together, I guess.

I want to marry Fenway Park-there, I said it. If it comes along w/ Mike Lowell and Jacoby Ellsbury..that would be nice too.

Woman Proves Love for Eiffel Tower With Commitment Ceremony

Erika Eiffel Is Among a Small Group of People Who Are Intimately Attracted to Objects

By KATE SNOW and JONANN BRADY

April 8, 2009 —

We all see beauty objects, such as the symmetry and sleekness of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, or the the powerful history in the once-standing Berlin Wall.

For one woman, the intense feeling that inanimate objects can inspire goes much deeper and becomes something more like true love.

"The Berlin Wall is a masterpiece. I can feel how much he yearns to be loved," Erika Eiffel said.

Her love of the Eiffel Tower is somewhat recent, and two years ago the San Francisco woman had a commitment ceremony and changed her name to reflect the bond.

"Her structure is just amazing. You know, she's got subtle, subtle curves, you know," Erika Eiffel said of the famous Paris landmark.

"I just, it's almost like I heard her crying out, saying, 'Somebody, notice me. Somebody, really notice me. Here I am in the crowd crying out, somebody, somebody, hear my voice,'" she said.

Eiffel, 36, is part of a small group of people across the world who call themselves "objectum sexuals" where their intimate life revolves around objects, not people. The objects can range from a home computer to a set of drums or a national monument, anything they can feel a connection to. It may sound strange to most of us, but it's very real to them.

"We feel an innate connection to objects. It comes perfectly normal to us to connect on various levels, emotional, spiritual and also physical for some," Eiffel said.

Sexual Disorder or New Orientation?

Medical experts ABC News contacted said they were not familiar with objectum sexuals, some said it might be classified as paraphilia  a disorder in which a person has an unusual sexual interest. Some psychologists suggest that people with the condition may have been sexually abused.

Certified sexologist Amy Marsh, from Albany, Calif., has a different take. She said objectum sexual is not a disorder, but possibly a new sexual orientation. Marsh said she's been surveying a small online community of people with OS.

"One person said, 'They're real, they're complex, and they are no less and no more of value than other romantic relationships'," Marsh said.

"There's been very little research done on objectum sexuality," Marsh continued. "I can tell you that what I'm finding is not much history of sexual abuse, and actually not much in the way of psychiatric diagnoses either. I'm finding they're very happy, and they don't want to change. I am also finding out that quite a few of them have a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome or autism, but not everybody."

Eiffel said she doesn't have Asperger's syndrome, nor does she believe her chaotic childhood -- shuffling between foster homes before she was adopted -- contributed to OS.

She said even as a small child she distinctly remembers having a great sympathy for discarded or wasted objects. She believes there is life, a soul in every object. Eiffel said she didn't choose to love objects, but was born that way.

"I thought everyone had a connection to objects in one way or the other. It really wasn't until I saw that they were dating each other and I was dating a bridge, that I was different. I just went to school and pretended I was like everybody else," Eiffel said.

Her love of certain objects has helped her become a world-class archer and win a $250,000 scholarship to the United States Air Force Academy, thanks to her attraction to the F-15 fighter jet.

Eiffel said she felt like "I'd like to get to know this jet. Kind of like a guy goes to a bar and he sees a really nice-looking girl and he, he wants to go sit next to her, buy her a drink and get to know her more. Well, I kind of felt that way about the F-15."

Her obsession has also led to ridicule by peers, abandonment by her family and a discharge from the Air Force. But she said she is fulfilled by her unusual love.

"I will tell you that I know love is being reciprocated," Eiffel said. "I'm happy, I'm not hurting anyone, I'm not hurting myself, I'm not being held back. I love my life."

Back
Top Bottom