Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:12 PM
this could be huge

U.S. condemns posting of secret Afghanistan files online

we may be at a point, where the question can be asked

How do ask someone to be the last American to die for a mistake?

Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:12 PM
The recent issue of TIME magazine shows a graphic photo of a young Afghan woman with her nose cut off. It is for a series of articles on what would happen if Afghanistan negotiates with the Taliban.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
The Taliban pounded on the door just before midnight, demanding that Aisha, 18, be punished for running away from her husband's house. Her in-laws treated her like a slave, Aisha pleaded. They beat her. If she hadn't run away, she would have died. Her judge, a local Taliban commander, was unmoved. Aisha's brother-in-law held her down while her husband pulled out a knife. First he sliced off her ears. Then he started on her nose.

This didn't happen 10 years ago, when the Taliban ruled Afghanistan. It happened last year. Now hidden in a secret women's shelter in Kabul, Aisha listens obsessively to the news. Talk that the Afghan government is considering some kind of political accommodation with the Taliban frightens her. "They are the people that did this to me," she says, touching her damaged face. "How can we reconcile with them?"

In June, Afghan President Hamid Karzai established a peace council tasked with exploring negotiations with the Taliban. A month later, Tom Malinowski from Human Rights Watch met Karzai. During their conversation, Karzai mused on the cost of the conflict in human lives and wondered aloud if he had any right to talk about human rights when so many were dying. "He essentially asked me," says Malinowski, "What is more important, protecting the right of a girl to go to school or saving her life?" How Karzai and his international allies answer that question will have far-reaching consequences, not only for Afghanistan's women, but the country as a whole.
As the war in Afghanistan enters its ninth year, the need for an exit strategy weighs on the minds of U.S. policymakers. Such an outcome, it is assumed, would involve reconciliation with the Taliban. But Afghan women fear that in the quest for a quick peace, their progress may be sidelined. "Women's rights must not be the sacrifice by which peace is achieved," says parliamentarian Fawzia Koofi.

Yet that may be where negotiations are heading. The Taliban will be advocating a version of an Afghan state in line with their own conservative views, particularly on the issue of women's rights. Already there is a growing acceptance that some concessions to the Taliban are inevitable if there is to be genuine reconciliation. "You have to be realistic," says a diplomat in Kabul. "We are not going to be sending troops and spending money forever. There will have to be a compromise, and sacrifices will have to be made."
Afghan Women Fear Their Fate Amid Taliban Negotiations - TIME

Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:12 PM
^Tough choices.

I can only imagine how things might have turned out had we devoted all our resources to the fight in Afghanistan from the beginning. Perhaps things would have turned out differently, but then again maybe not.

There are no easy answers.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Holes in your head today
But I'm a pacifist
I've walked La Ramblas
But not with real intent
YouTube - MANIC STREET PREACHERS_ If you tolerate this your children will be next
Old 07-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 07:12 PM
what's next?

pulling out and leaving the brown people the fuck alone.

that's a laugh

Old 07-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
^Tough choices.

I can only imagine how things might have turned out had we devoted all our resources to the fight in Afghanistan from the beginning. Perhaps things would have turned out differently, but then again maybe not.

There are no easy answers.
The United States is not currently devoting all its resources to the fight in Afghanistan. The United States military and defense establishment, as was the case in 2001, has multiple threats and issues to deal with around the world, and does not have the luxury of devoting everything to one effort or conflict.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
The United States is not currently devoting all its resources to the fight in Afghanistan. The United States military and defense establishment, as was the case in 2001, has multiple threats and issues to deal with around the world, and does not have the luxury of devoting everything to one effort or conflict.
You know what I mean.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You know what I mean.

actually, i'm not sure that this is true.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
actually, i'm not sure that this is true.
I am. He's trying to paint me in a corner, making it sound as if I think the entire U.S. military can only engage in one thing at a time.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Bradley Manning, suspected source of Wikileaks documents, raged on his Facebook page - Telegraph

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...28459917.shtml
Old 07-31-2010, 04:34 AM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
I am. He's trying to paint me in a corner, making it sound as if I think the entire U.S. military can only engage in one thing at a time.
Quote:
I can only imagine how things might have turned out had we devoted all our resources to the fight in Afghanistan from the beginning.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #27
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Must you always be so pedantic, Sting? Do you really think that Sean literally meant that he wanted every last person and resource in our military to be in Afghanistan from the beginning?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Must you always be so pedantic, Sting? Do you really think that Sean literally meant that he wanted every last person and resource in our military to be in Afghanistan from the beginning?
Well, that is what he said. Tell me, when he says all our resources, what is he really implying?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Well, that is what he said. Tell me, when he says all our resources, what is he really implying?

What I'm implying is that the resources that we employed in Iraq would have been better spent in Afghanistan. You knew that, and that is what you were objecting to because you disagree with that position. Why couldn't you have just argued that point rather than using my imprecise language to try to paint me in a corner?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #30
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Well, apparently you must always be that pedantic.

Pity.