What is your WaLk ScOrE ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this may not work in all locations, sorry

Yeah, it's not terribly useful for Australia. I'm kind of amused that it gave where I live just 55. The information the site's using seems quite incomplete. Some of it's out-of-date, and some is missing - I'm sure my location would score better than 55 if it registered that there is a tram stop outside my door, and a number of cafes and amenities within 100m.

My girlfriend and I don't own a car. We walk or take the tram everywhere, and owning a car seems like a waste of money to us. On the rare occasion we want or need one, it works out much cheaper to take a taxi or rent a car than to actually maintain our own one.

Just checked my old addresses around Australia - it does seem to work decently as a rough guide for Australian addresses (e.g. two places I lived on the Gold Coast were hideously unwalkable and the site correctly calls them car-dependent). However, it suggests where I lived in Brisbane is more walkable than where I live in Melbourne, which is simply wrong, and all locations have data that is either incomplete or missing. I wouldn't take the precise scores for here too seriously.

Some of the stuff for where I live in Melbourne is just weird, like it labels a pizza shop that has been somebody's private art studio for years and years, yet it doesn't have the post office or chemist just over the road.

My address now scored a 74 which I think is inaccurately high.

My address in Chicago scored a 100! It was a walker's paradise.

Considering that sidewalks are in short supply, I guess that's probably fair enough. It's about a 20-minute walk to the nearest grocery store.

:lol: 15 for my street in Maryland. It's truly living hell to walk there, as my old house teeters precariously on a small mountain/large hill (Bono would argue the former), and it's easier to just not walk up the 75 degree angle. I manage though, and used to walk at least an hour a day for the hell of it. My conditioning used to be really good, but now that I've moved to Indiana where there are no inclines (my street scored 58), I can't walk nearly as long as I used to, and I probably do walk a great deal thanks to the way my campus is laid out.

Looks like mine is 51. There are some places that I can walk to, but yeah, it isn't in the most convenient of locals. I sometimes walk to where I work from my house during the day, and it takes about a half hour or so to get there that way. Eh, at least it's good exercise.

Angela

:lol: 15 for my street in Maryland. It's truly living hell to walk there, as my old house teeters precariously on a small mountain/large hill (Bono would argue the former), and it's easier to just not walk up the 75 degree angle. I manage though, and used to walk at least an hour a day for the hell of it. My conditioning used to be really good, but now that I've moved to Indiana where there are no inclines (my street scored 58), I can't walk nearly as long as I used to, and I probably do walk a great deal thanks to the way my campus is laid out.

That 58 surprised me, given how much we walk to the grocery stores, movie theater, k-mart, gas stations, fast food, etc. all the time though. And there is transit here. Just because it's a little city doesn't mean that it's impossible to get around.

Got a big 0 on our score. We live in a rural area, and apparently they greatly value your ability to walk to the coffee shop or movie theater.

Hometown: 14 (not surprised, you're fucked without a car there)
School: 86 (also not surprised, I live on a college campus)

I live in a suburb but we got a bike path last year and I can walk to many places that way. The nearest movie theater is almost 4 miles away and I have walked to that years ago. You can walk to bus stops too. When it cooled off at the end of the summer I walked a half hour each way to the bike path and several miles on the bike path.

I do want to get a bike. I live right near a state park and I love having all of that open space to walk in and enjoy nature.

I live in Los Angeles and got a 91. Shocking right?

I walk a lot. Grocery store is 2 blocks away, like 10 Thai restaurants in a 1 block radius (not even exaggerating), a few little markets. The best part, I also live on the light rail line, so I try to take that to work most days and can take it into Downtown LA, Hollywood, K-Town, Pasadena, Little Tokyo, etc.

Since i've moved I don't drive nearly as often as I used to, get gas once a month or so.

where i grew up, the score was a 9.

I have you beat. The walk score where I grew up was 0. I grew up in rural California. A car is mandatory.

current location: 58 (somewhat walkable) - not entirely true as it's missing some bus routes. not to mention the nearest post office is way closer than what it's saying.

back home: 45 (car-dependent) - totally true. public transport is laughable, just one bus route (though you can connect to others of course) and timetables are near impossible to get. no joke, you have to go to the bus depot to get a copy. it's not online. plus some of the locales were wrong, nearest coffee shop was a hotel where i used to work and there's no coffee there, lol, if you're lucky there's a pot of cold coffee in the lobby. oh and it said no parks but i know there's one maybe two miles at the most from where i live.

oh and it said no parks but i know there's one maybe two miles at the most from where i live.

Heh, I was amused when I looked up my childhood home in New Zealand and it said the nearest park was 4.5km away ... no, it's two houses away!

77 ... surprised it's not higher. i live in a college town and do not own a car. i only take the bus to the mall area. other than that i walk everywhere. i suppose we do often get a ride to the grocery store...if there were a closer grocery store i would rate it as almost 100% walkable

18. And this is what I get for living in the hills. :lol: Most of the time I have to walk up steep hills, painful but worth it.

95. We live in a great urban neighborhood in Denver. In one direction, we're 1 blk from a park with a lake and a library. In the other direction, we're 1 blk from a theater, a church, a school, shops, restaurants, a coffee shop, and several art galleries. We walk everywhere.

i got 58, and it is so, so much more walkable than that. the only thing i couldn't do via walking or public transport is go to work, and even then if i really wanted to i could take multiple buses, but they also probably stop running about when i'd finish some nights.

which isn't too bad given work is in a pretty hopeless industrial area.

43 where I live. I could walk to the grocery store during the summer no problem though.

Hi Sean,

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

When I opened this thread I thought about some of the regular posters and what their scores would be, based upon what information we have shared over the years.
I expected Irvine would get a good score and that Anitram would get one of the best. I expected you to get around 50, and if Iron Horse checks in, he will get one of the lower scores.

So I guess when I am reading these posts in here, and imagining the posters' environments, I am not that far off.

Back
Top Bottom