What is your WaLk ScOrE ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^Happy Holidays to you as well, Deep.

I thought we should have scored a little higher. There are a lot of sidewalks where we live, but we live in a suburb of Columbus, an upscale community called New Albany. I guess because it's further from the city, we get the lower score?

68 here, which I think is a bit low. I can walk to several banks, a grocery store, two large malls, my work, and several dozen restaurants and stores within a 1.5 mile radius. There's not really many places I'd have to go that I couldn't walk to (besides things that are personal preference, like driving a lot farther to a grocery store I like better). I can also walk half a block and get on a city bus.

Just had a peek at the methodology used to calculate a Walk Score. And, uh, wow. It assigns no points whatsoever for amenities over 1.6km (1 mile) away. My girlfriend and I think absolutely nothing of walking to our nearest shopping centres, which are respectively 2km and 2.7km away. They're comfortable, quick walks; we did both of them yesterday. One of our favourite concert venues is 5.6km away and we usually walk that; it's a pretty easy hour's walk. So a number of amenities which I would consider thoroughly walkable by my own standards are not even considered on the site.

So a number of amenities which I would consider thoroughly walkable by my own standards are not even considered on the site.

I think that most Americans would not walk such distances and this is clearly an American-centred site so the 1-mile cutoff makes some sense.

I would also walk distances of 2-3 km routinely, though not in winter when it's -30 outside.

My neighborhood, Milwaukee's east side, got an 89. I'm within walking distance of nice shops, grocery stores, restaurants, coffee joints and bars. Lake Michigan is just two blocks from my apartment. And weather permitting, I can walk to down town. I also have access to several busses. Not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom