What Is It About 20-Somethings? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #61
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
If I turn 25 and I'm still in the same situation, then I guess I'll have to settle for a crappy job like everyone else.
Don't. Seriously, don't settle.

I'll spare you the life story, but sufficed to say that the economy tanked right before I graduated and I worked the past few years at a job I hated and I only quit recently because it was just not worth it at all. Don't do that to yourself.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

I'm about to hit my 20s. I'm in my second year of college. And as each and every day goes by, I become increasingly puzzled over what I want to do. I'm not sure if I'm in the right major, but then I can't figure out what I would do instead. I have no idea what I want to do for a career.

I've worked a white collar summer and a blue collar summer, and in both cases I was not only worn down mentally by them but physically as well.

I see things I'd like to do everyday but never any way to get to them. Working hard would in all likelihood be futile. So much is left up to luck that I have to wonder if any of it's worth it. Am I going to spend all this money on college and get nothing in return?

This is a rough time.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #63
45:33

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I'm about to hit my 20s. I'm in my second year of college. And as each and every day goes by, I become increasingly puzzled over what I want to do. I'm not sure if I'm in the right major, but then I can't figure out what I would do instead. I have no idea what I want to do for a career.

I've worked a white collar summer and a blue collar summer, and in both cases I was not only worn down mentally by them but physically as well.

I see things I'd like to do everyday but never any way to get to them. Working hard would in all likelihood be futile. So much is left up to luck that I have to wonder if any of it's worth it. Am I going to spend all this money on college and get nothing in return?

This is a rough time.
i feel ya dawg

seriously, i do. it's like, i've known my whole life what i've wanted to do and in the past year i so i've lost direction and now am unsure whilst others around me go forward in leaps and bounds.

i don't know if i have the chutzpah to be a full-time journo. at least not in the traditional sense.

moving out sure as hell ain't on the horizon at the moment either.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
i feel ya dawg

seriously, i do. it's like, i've known my whole life what i've wanted to do and in the past year i so i've lost direction and now am unsure whilst others around me go forward in leaps and bounds.

i don't know if i have the chutzpah to be a full-time journo. at least not in the traditional sense.

moving out sure as hell ain't on the horizon at the moment either.
Nice to know I'm not alone here. I still have the interest in journalism or some other form of writing, but it's not easy to find a career in it right now. I'll gladly find something else to do in the meantime, especially since I do want a fallback job as I know writing careers take time to get going and they're not always the steadiest line of work. But it's not easy finding that, either. And if I want something really good and stable, I'll need to go back to school. Which would be fine, I'd love to do that, I'll gladly do that. Except that I'll need financial aid, and I wouldn't mind that, if it weren't for the fact that I hate the idea of having to add another debt to the list of debts my family's had piled on them the last few years. I'd be paying this one off myself, I wouldn't pawn it on them (though I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to help if need be), but still, I'm just tired of the word "debt", you know?

As for jobs, I fully agree that nobody should ever find themselves in a job they hate and get nothing good in return from. I would probably leave a job like that, too. Unfortunately, though, I also know that sometimes that's not always easy to do, sometimes you have to take what you can get, like it or not. If it's just yourself you're supporting, that's one thing, but if you've got other people depending on you, you can't always afford to be picky. My parents have taught me that. My mom is sick to death of working retail. She actually genuinely loves office work and would be happy to find full-time work in that field. At this time, though, the best she's been able to find is part-time office work and part-time retail work. She's hoping things change with the office job so she can get full time and lessen, if not completely end, her time in retail, but right now, she has to do both because that's the only way she can help out our household. And she's at a time in her life when she shouldn't have to be worrying about stuff like that. So it's a tough time for people of any age right now. If people older than us are having difficulties, that doesn't bode very well for our age group. We can keep trying, people do manage to break away from that crappy cycle, but...yeah. It just sucks all around at this time.

Angela
Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #65
45:33

Local Time: 04:49 AM
one thing i know for sure - i really, really, REALLY don't want to become a "struggling writer".
Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

This is a rough time.
It is entirely possible that you may later decide on a career that has nothing at all to do with your college education. My bachelor's, master's, and expected doctorate have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Your college experience does not have to dictate the rest of your life. Life is a journey, and things are going to happen along the way that will inspire you to do other things.

My advice, as I used to give to all my undergrad students, is to focus on the present. Study hard, stay involved in extra-curriculars, and stretch your liver beyond it's preconceived limitations. It is a rough time, but it's also a great time.

Whatever you're doing, just remember to keep doing the best you can at where you are right then. The rest of life will just fall into place. There's no way you can foresee any changes or opportunities that may come your way. In the meantime, there's really nothing wrong or futile about working hard where you are now, because right now, those are your responsibilities.

I personally think the future isn't worth fussing about because we have absolutely no control over it. However, there are things you can do in your present that will help allow for an array of opportunities. You're already doing those things (work experience, good grades, etc.) Just maintain those, and you should be okay.

And when that moment comes where you know exactly where you want to go in the next step, dive for it. Also, remember, that next step doesn't have to be the ultimate step. Like I mentioned, my life has taken me in all sorts of different directions. The following step could be something you never thought you'd do before.

Anyway, that's all I had to say. Just keep doin' yo peef thang.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Quote:
Am I going to spend all this money on college and get nothing in return?
Stick with it. Luck plays a part, but you need a ticket to be on that train. You will never regret finishing school. You will always regret not finishing.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

In some fields, networking is super important and something I think a lot of undergrads are neglecting. It's not always what you know but WHO you know, and networking takes time and effort and putting yourself out there. For example as a business undergrad if I had the option of studying for an exam the next day or attending a Business Forum (school org) dinner with dozens of local business owners, I'd be better off getting a grade or two lower on that exam but making those new contacts, IMO.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

I don't see how anyone could ever regret a college education. Neither one of my parents went to college-my mother eventually got her associates later in life and I think she still wishes she had gone for a bachelor's. It's been a struggle for me and I don't do anything related to my degree, but I loved college and I have absolutely no regrets and I feel so fortunate. It made me have more belief in myself and my intelligence and it was a great experience. I only regret that I didn't have the money to get more education. I didn't live at college in order to save money and it was still great for me.

Just in my experience you shouldn't approach college just as a means to a job. Maybe technical college or something else is a better approach for that. Sometimes what you get in return takes you years to realize and it has nothing to do with a job or money.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, it's not that I want to drop out of college, it's that I feel like if I'm going to change majors, I have to do it sooner rather than later, but I have no idea what I would change to at this point.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
It is entirely possible that you may later decide on a career that has nothing at all to do with your college education. My bachelor's, master's, and expected doctorate have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Your college experience does not have to dictate the rest of your life. Life is a journey, and things are going to happen along the way that will inspire you to do other things.

My advice, as I used to give to all my undergrad students, is to focus on the present. Study hard, stay involved in extra-curriculars, and stretch your liver beyond it's preconceived limitations. It is a rough time, but it's also a great time.

Whatever you're doing, just remember to keep doing the best you can at where you are right then. The rest of life will just fall into place. There's no way you can foresee any changes or opportunities that may come your way. In the meantime, there's really nothing wrong or futile about working hard where you are now, because right now, those are your responsibilities.

I personally think the future isn't worth fussing about because we have absolutely no control over it. However, there are things you can do in your present that will help allow for an array of opportunities. You're already doing those things (work experience, good grades, etc.) Just maintain those, and you should be okay.

And when that moment comes where you know exactly where you want to go in the next step, dive for it. Also, remember, that next step doesn't have to be the ultimate step. Like I mentioned, my life has taken me in all sorts of different directions. The following step could be something you never thought you'd do before.

Anyway, that's all I had to say. Just keep doin' yo peef thang.
Thanks, MAYA. I appreciate it.

I guess my biggest stressor right now is what's in your 4th paragraph there. Figuring out if I'm doing the right things in the present to allow for that array of opportunities. Would I have more opportunities if I did something else? I don't know. That's the big question.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

I work in IT so it may vary across fields but to be honest, when we hire (and when I was hired), it didn't so much matter what the undergrad degree was. Like Mrs. S is saying, just finishing college in general gives you experience with all kinds of people and working with people in various capacities (doing groupwork, having to do projects with people you can't stand, being able to succeed under profs that are tyrants, etc). Just getting the degree is what counts. Also think of careers like law or medicine where you can be pre-law but major in art and go to law school. A lot of our pre-law students major in English or whatever they like, majoring in poli sci or int'l affairs isn't necessarily any advantage. Where I work, very few people have degrees in computer science or information systems. Even our student workers are mostly political science and/or international affairs majors. Unless you're trying to get into a program like nursing or engineering that have their own modified curriculum or something that requires technical training and certifications, I would not lose sleep over feeling like you have to decide your life today or worrying about switching majors. I switched 5 times and still graduated in 4 years with several 12 credit semesters (for my last few years I only took class Tues/Thurs and worked all day the rest of the week).
Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
one thing i know for sure - i really, really, REALLY don't want to become a "struggling writer".
Is there any other kind?

Seriously, I love writing but I didn't have the guts to pursue it as a career. . .or at least without having a regular job as a "backup." Of course the consequence is that writing has ended up being pushed to the sidelines. I have a finished draft of a novel and that's all so far. . .
Old 08-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

For the record, I'm a journalism major studying primarily TV and radio.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
There are worse things -- you have to be a struggling writer in order to be a successful writer. I'd actually say that what you learn when you're a struggling writer -- multitasking, juggling various projects, balancing work and life responsibilities, embracing the Muse when you have to, not when you want to -- help down the road...