What Is It About 20-Somethings? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:18 PM
True, that. I work for a college, students are moving in now, and already the "helicoptering" is reaching new extremes, already have had breakdowns of bawling mothers and the freshmen are not even here yet...

Old 08-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
True, that. I work for a college, students are moving in now, and already the "helicoptering" is reaching new extremes, already have had breakdowns of bawling mothers and the freshmen are not even here yet...
helicopter parents are definitely one thing that i don't miss from working in higher ed. i never mastered the art of calmly talking to them, anyway.

it's so bizarre to me. my parents rented an suv to help me move my crap (which i thought was over the top!), dropped me off, and went back on the highway.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

I turn 20 in a couple of months. Should I wait till then to post in this thread?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:18 AM
well it's too late now
Old 08-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #35
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I think they're just used to having everything done for them, so now that they have to go out and do something on their own, they don't know how, so they do nothing.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 04:18 PM
I guess it's a life stage that some 20-year olds pass through.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #37
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I would say yes and no. No because my generation seems to believe that life should be fun and we can live until we're 90 or 100, so why rush to grow up? But I would say yes because some 20-somethings are dragging their asses around when it comes to being independent, and not because they are too busy having fun. They really do seem to be babied by their parents and still have adolescent minds.

Thoughts?
I agree with your yes and no.. I believe that it is really good for 20 somethings to enjoy life on their own before entering marriage and children. I keep telling my kids to not even think about that stuff until they are over 25. I also think that with this economy it is very hard to be out on your own and see no problem living at home while advancing career wise.. and saving money for the future. It should not be a free ride by the parents, 20 somethings should pay their way no matter where they are if they are not going to school and they should participate in running the household.

I do see/hear about some 20 somethings dragging their asses around about being independent and being babied by their parents. I just went through an experience training a girl that just graduated college with some internship experience and she was totally clueless in so many ways. She was asked to not text during working hours and complained that she should be able to if she got her work done. (hello.. tell manager you have nothing to do.. anything else?) She also did not use her knowledge in accounting for herself, but constantly requested that I find her entry errors, etc. I absolutely know there are tons of 20 somethings that do not fit this mold... but I do think there are a lot of 20 somethings that need to learn more the hard way and not have parents guide them so much or take responsibility for themselves.

(I need to heed these thoughts carefully as my daughter goes through her senior year and into her future... my son went into the air force so that limited my parenting responsibilities as he nears his 20's.)
Old 08-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #38
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:18 PM
i wouldn't say there's anything wrong with not growing up. i suppose as long as there's some motivation to do adult things (meaning not just being content to sit in your parents' basement all day, all that stereotypical stuff) it's fine. with cost of living being the way it is i'm sure most single people find it's easier and cheaper to live at home for a while. i will say i still struggle to determine what it is i want to do when i grow up, and i just turned 27. i don't use it as an excuse to never try anything, but just that i honestly don't know. and that seems to be true for an increasing number of people out there.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i don't use it as an excuse to never try anything, but just that i honestly don't know. and that seems to be true for an increasing number of people out there.
I read somewhere that people who are 30 and under are more concerned with finding a job that suits their personality and needs rather than simply for paying the bills and making a living.

I agree and disagree with that sentiment. On one hand, I really do believe you should find a job that does reflect your personality or you'll be miserable. I also believe your job should define one of the reasons why you're on this earth. But at the same time some people never know what they want in life or take a real long time to figure it out. So in that case, you would have to settle for something that pays the bills and puts a roof over your head. Doing so sucks, I'm sure, but that's a fact of life.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

See I disagree, Pearl. I have no problems with people who live to work and have reached a high level of academics and/or very successful careers, but to me to make money doing something I love just takes all the fun out of it for me, it becomes an obligation. I work hard to pay my bills, keep my household fed and comfortable, and have enough on the side for some vacationing and to afford doing the things I really love doing. Is that "settling"? I love training dogs and intend to train German Shepherd dogs to a very high level of work and sport, but even the top winning stud dogs in the world are a dime a dozen. You do not make money this way and if you do, then among those that truly love the breed and the training you are considered an asshole and a sell-out that's taking people for a ride. I know *exactly* what I want in life and am currently doing it without spending a decade in school or working 80+ hours a week. I am stable financially, I live comfortably within my means, I have great credit, I'm 25 and have worked the same job for almost 8 years so I have passed technical certifications, have a long list of great references, and have built a network for new opportunities within my field.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm the opposite, Liesje. If I had a job where I did it just to provide for my family and pay the bills, I'd be exhausted. If I am to spend 40+ hours a week doing something, I better love it.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
See I disagree, Pearl. I have no problems with people who live to work and have reached a high level of academics and/or very successful careers, but to me to make money doing something I love just takes all the fun out of it for me, it becomes an obligation. I work hard to pay my bills, keep my household fed and comfortable, and have enough on the side for some vacationing and to afford doing the things I really love doing. Is that "settling"? I love training dogs and intend to train German Shepherd dogs to a very high level of work and sport, but even the top winning stud dogs in the world are a dime a dozen. You do not make money this way and if you do, then among those that truly love the breed and the training you are considered an asshole and a sell-out that's taking people for a ride. I know *exactly* what I want in life and am currently doing it without spending a decade in school or working 80+ hours a week. I am stable financially, I live comfortably within my means, I have great credit, I'm 25 and have worked the same job for almost 8 years so I have passed technical certifications, have a long list of great references, and have built a network for new opportunities within my field.

Likewise, I don't have a problem with what people choose to do with their careers. However, the way I see it, strictly speaking for myself, most of my day/life will be spent working. As long as I'm sticking with this "living in the moment" mentality, I'm going to make sure that I'm spending most of those moments working toward (and in a couple of years, finally fulfilling) my dream.

For me, my career has to be meaningful. For the hours put in (well, let's be honest, I won't have to work 40 hours a week, but still), it has to mean a lot to me in order for me to stay committed to it.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

^

Same. I can't imagine spending that many hours at work if it wasn't something that I loved and was committed to doing. Granted, I spend more hours there than most people but even if I worked the standard 40 hour week, I'd never last if it didn't bring me personal satisfaction and if I didn't have at least a little ambition to pursue that field.

But I do get what Lies is saying in the sense that I am lucky that I like my job and it also happens to be the sort of job that does come with certain perks that are make the rest of my life better (ie. allows me to travel extensively, live a very comfortable life and so on).
Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:18 PM
I work to pay the mortgage - it's that simple. If I could afford not to, I wouldn't work at all.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
^

Same. I can't imagine spending that many hours at work if it wasn't something that I loved and was committed to doing. Granted, I spend more hours there than most people but even if I worked the standard 40 hour week, I'd never last if it didn't bring me personal satisfaction and if I didn't have at least a little ambition to pursue that field.

But I do get what Lies is saying in the sense that I am lucky that I like my job and it also happens to be the sort of job that does come with certain perks that are make the rest of my life better (ie. allows me to travel extensively, live a very comfortable life and so on).
I don't get why anyone would love an office job of any description. It's great that you do but it's something I genuinely don't comprehend.