What Is It About 20-Somethings? - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Teacher strikes nerve with 'lazy whiners' blog |

Quote:
"My students are out of control," Munroe, who has taught 10th, 11th and 12th grades, wrote in one post. "They are rude, disengaged, lazy whiners. They curse, discuss drugs, talk back, argue for grades, complain about everything, fancy themselves entitled to whatever they desire, and are just generally annoying."

Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #137
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Munroe did not use her full name or identify her students or school in the blog, which she started in August 2009 for friends and family. Last week, she said, students brought it to the attention of the school, which suspended her with pay.
Yep, which is why you don't see more blogs like this, from teachers at all levels of the educational system. Not taking a position on this particular teacher's opinions, just an observation about the consequences.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:28 PM
As far as the 'pay more and live in the city' argument vs 'pay less and have a long, frustrating commute', if you have the financial freedom to make that choice then always close to work for me.

I believe one of the biggest factors in quality of life is commute time. One reason why I will NEVER move to California for a technology job unless it's something I can do the bulk of the work remotely.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Our School District Superintendent has been indited. The case hinges on emails.

It is amazing how many people are answering for emails, Facebooks, and tweets, and other electronic postings. I rarely use any of those and do so with the understanding that anyone and everyone will have the chance to see it.

As for this teacher, another article I read made me have less sympathy for her.
She may be losing her job.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
As far as the 'pay more and live in the city' argument vs 'pay less and have a long, frustrating commute', if you have the financial freedom to make that choice then always close to work for me.

I believe one of the biggest factors in quality of life is commute time. One reason why I will NEVER move to California for a technology job unless it's something I can do the bulk of the work remotely.
commute time can be quality time with NPR.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #141
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:

you and me both. in a dream world, i'd either be able to: work from home, live in the same building where i work (e.g. multi-use skyscraper), or live within close walking distance to my job. i've had all sorts of commutes ranging from 10 minute drives to over an hour each way.

i just don't want to waste a huge fraction of my life sitting in traffic.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:

My father has had an hour commute for about 12 years now. I did it with him one summer when I worked at his company. Just brutal.

I currently have about a 30-40 minute commute due to having to walk to a bus stop a mile away and then waiting for said bus. I try to avoid going as much as possible, and have actually bought equipment for use at work just so that I can work from my place more.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #143
Blue Crack Supplier

i walk 10 minutes. ride the metro for 40 minutes. walk another 10 minutes. it's only truly awful in the thick humidity of July and August.

it's better than 45 minutes of traffic any day of the week.

i recommend ass kicking headphones, a subscription to "This American Life" podcast, and a good magazine or two.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life

My commute is a 10/15 minute tram ride - including waiting time and walking to the tram stop at both ends of the journey. I'd like to move to a more suburban area but the thought of the 45 minute plus commute puts me off.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

In Saipan, my commute was about a minute and a half. Which was especially nice when I forgot something at home (or work).

When we first moved to Ohio, my commute was three hours round trip from Dayton to Columbus. I did for about seven months and couldn't have taken much more (the quality time with NPR not withstanding). Thankfully, my wife found work here in Columbus and now my commute is about 12 to 15 minutes.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I commute about 40 minutes, but not daily. A lot of work I can do from home, since it's mostly Excel sheets. I don't have to go to Uni (40 minutes as well), which is nice. Can write my thesis here.
When I was looking for an appartment after I returned to Berlin I found it more important to find something in a nice area where it's not too far from friends and the more interesting districts. I prefer being home quickly after having been out, than having the shortest commute to work.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier

and Berlin has, possibly, the coolest subway system in the world. or at least in Europe.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

24h all weekends and before holidays.
Our subway system, and public transport in general, is quite advanced. At the moment it's always with a grain of salt due to the problems with the S-Bahn (Berlin public transport consits of busses, trams, subways and additional trains running overground, called S-Bahn. The S-Bahn debacle is a perfect example why we all have to love privatisation to death ), but their service is getting better again. And tourists usually don't even realise there are any problems because they are used to so much poorer service from home.
The relative ease and speed with which you get almost anywhere in the city, day and night, is a very important factor of quality, in my view. You don't think twice before going out.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

German public transportation is fierce. so impressive.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #150
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:28 PM
ich liebe deutschland.