What if...Al Gore had won?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnRKeyintheUSA

War Child
Imagine for a minute the chads hung the other way, and Gore won. What would be different about the country, better or worse? Would we have the war? I don't think he'd ever have invaded Iraq. Would we even have had 9-11 and if we did, what would his response have been? Would the oil companies have their way with us? Doubt it. What do you think this country would have been like without Bush?

Everything the same but the war. But using that logic everything would be different. Osama would be dead or jailed. Budgets would be better (maybe not balanced,but better) and you'd probably be paying more for petrol but consuming less(as the trend goes).

what if bradley and mccain had both won their party's nomination instead of doucheweiser and douche lite?

what if grandma had balls? would she be grandpa?

what if god was one of us? just a slob like one of us? just a stranger on a bus, trying to make his way home? nobody calling on the phone? 'cept for the pope, maybe, in rome?

what if bradley and mccain had both won their party's nomination instead of doucheweiser and douche lite?

what if grandma had balls? would she be grandpa?

what if god was one of us? just a slob like one of us? just a stranger on a bus, trying to make his way home? nobody calling on the phone? 'cept for the pope, maybe, in rome?

Al Gore is no douche. Bradley is not president material.

Al Gore is no douche. Bradley is not president material.

i beg to differ on both accounts (he's douche lite... same great taste, less filling). but i suppose we'll never know.

i love the video for testify by rage against the machine... such a great analysis of the 2000 election. everyone loves gore now, because everybody loves the chubby kid who never wins in dodge ball. fact is he and bush were spewing the exact same things during the campaign almost to a T. but revisionist history forgets that.

bradley was a great, great man, and i believe he would have been a great leader. but i could be wrong, and we'll never know. fact is i still think we'd al be better off if mccain had won in 2000.

fact is he and bush were spewing the exact same things during the campaign almost to a T. but revisionist history forgets that.

Or revisionist history invents this.

Because there were certainly rather obvious differences. I remember that election season like it was yesterday.

fact is he and bush were spewing the exact same things during the campaign almost to a T. but revisionist history forgets that.

If you are saying Bush 2000 campaign and Obama's are very similar.

You are correct.

Most people may not remember the Bush 1999 through Nov 2000 election campaign but it and Obama's are so similar - it is silly.

And Bradley was more of an outsider, similar to McCain and his party.

Please.

I know you're not illiterate.

I am not that well educated :shrug:

but I do recall that Bush ran as an outsider,
someone that would bring change to the inside the beltway politics
someone that would be fresh

the appeal was that he had not been in D C
he was new, he was going to be an uniter not a divider.

an end to partisan politics

no more wars, like Bosnia
he ran as a non-interventionalist.

He was the guy that was going to have fresh, new ideas

I remember the "I will restore honour to the White House" meme that was repeated ad nauseum.

But the point is, that he and Gore did NOT run the same campaigns back in 2000, and I'm a little surprised that anyone thinks they were saying the same things. They weren't.

How in the hell could anyone believe he was going to be an outside when his father was the president of the united states just eight years earlier?

The problem with that is that it's hard to have conviction about those kinds of campaign slogans when everyone else is handing them to you. Bush was essentially picked by Rove for the job - this was not something that Bush was driving. Bush was the figurehead, but he sure as hell wasn't the driving force behind the campaign. Do you think any significant portion of Bush's speeches were his own words?

Obama, by contrast, is a self made man and clearly the driving force behind his campaign. He has made several intelligent, deeply thoughtful and probing speeches penned on his own on complex subjects (race in america, religion in politics), and by all accounts demonstrates a much more inquisitive and pensive intellect than Bush.

I think Obama has shown quite clearly that he is a completely different kind of politician than George W. Bush, and will run a completely different kind of ship than W. And I think you know that, too.

How in the hell could anyone believe he was going to be an outside when his father was the president of the united states just eight years earlier?

8 years of Clinton / Gore

the perception of corruption tied to Gore because if the Clinton impeachment
also, before Gore was VP he was a Senator and member of Congress for several years

So Gore was the ultimate insider, much, much more than McCain can be considered today.

also, Gore had a problem with taking money at Buddhist Temples than came from Chinese nationals, this is against the law.

Early Warnings on Gore's Temple Visit - New York Times

Bush had no real association with his fathers Presidency.

certainly Bush was much more of an outsider than a 8 year sitting Vice President.

Could Cheney run today as an outsider?

Back
Top Bottom