What I admire in the oppositon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maycocksean

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
What do you admire in the political ideology opposite your own? For example, as a liberal what apects of conservative thinking do you admire, and vice versa?

I'll answer my own question later, but I have to go teach now.

ugh. looks like *someone* has integrity and intelligence and wants to do more than hurl invective at the other side.

:madspit:

let me think about it and get back to you, i admire this thread

Of all the "issues" that I feel the "Right" is wrong about - which is just about all of them - this issue of encouraging adoption as opposed to abortion is a good one and one that I support wholeheartedly. Encourage adoption over abortion - not making abortion illegal!!!

Of all the "issues" that I feel the "Right" is wrong about - which is just about all of them - this issue of encouraging adoption as opposed to abortion is a good one and one that I support wholeheartedly. Encourage adoption over abortion - not making abortion illegal!!!

I understand, I thought you meant they adopt more and have abortions less.

The concept of spending other peoples money intrigues me.

Seriously. I'd agree with diamond. Instinctive compassion and good intentions. Fortunately, we have conservatives to come along and cleanup the debris field liberalism inevitably leaves in its wake.

As misguided as it can be, a general intent to do what they perceive to be the right thing. Not in every case, but in most of them, they intend to do what they think is best. I think that's a trait shared by both sides.

I admire what I believe is the conservative understanding of the limits of government and what it can do. I think they are more realistic than those of us who lean more to the left. There's a fair amount of truth, in my opinion to the idea that "government is the problem not the solution." I do think the private sector will generally do most jobs better than the government will (they just won't do it for free). While far from perfect, I think capitalism is a far more effective economic system than others because it taps into the way people actually are rather than the way we wish we are. A classic fiscal conservative, I think has a hard-eyed view of the world as it is that I think is noteworthy.

I think the only reason I won't type myself as at least a fiscal conservative is because:

a). The whole anti-tax idea doesn't really get me going (maybe cause I'm too poor to pay income taxes? :reject: )

b). I do tend to support some government social programs as poor quality as I think they often end up being because the private sector doesn't offer any guarantees for those who can't afford privatized services.

I find aspects of their blind conviction to be admirable at times...

Seriously. I'd agree with diamond. Instinctive compassion and good intentions. Fortunately, we have conservatives to come along and cleanup the debris field liberalism inevitably leaves in its wake.

This, my friends, is what we call a backhanded compliment. :wink:

Except I don't think the Right is doing this. They're just saying "Make abortion illegal." Once you're born, though, it's every man for himself!

I didn't mean mine as backhanded, even when wording it, I was trying to find a way to explain it. It's a thin line it can be ignorance or strong faith, at least that's how it looks to many on the outside. For those where it's faith, I find that admirable.

I won't try and explain anymore for I'll just end up digging a hole...:wink:

I'm most likely labeled a liberal, but I do find several aspects of conservatism appealing. I believe that you are what you make of yourself - you are free and able to improve your situation. I don't believe handouts are an answer. I believe that you have to be tough when dealing with certain types of people (enemies, terrorists, dictators, the overly ambitions), a passive approach will allow them to run over you. I like the "keep government out" approach.

All of those are core values of the republican party - on paper. However, the Republican Party as it is now has drifted far from those core values. I would to think that Reps and Dems need not be in opposition but more like two voices having a discussion trying to figure out what's best. And it's that goofy ideaology that lands me as a liberal...

Also - as far as taxes - our largest chunk - from what I understand -goes to the military. So I don't see how you can anti-tax and pro-military. Unless you think we should not have pay the soldiers.

:up:

And then we get blamed for the clean up.:huh:

I really do admire their ability to rally behind a cause or candidate. And like Uber said, I do like the conservative ideal that you are what you make of yourself. In an ideal world there shouldn't be a need for government handouts, and I can respect the core belief behind that, however imperfectly it may apply to reality.

I admire what I believe is the conservative understanding of the limits of government and what it can do. I think they are more realistic than those of us who lean more to the left. There's a fair amount of truth, in my opinion to the idea that "government is the problem not the solution." I do think the private sector will generally do most jobs better than the government will (they just won't do it for free). While far from perfect, I think capitalism is a far more effective economic system than others because it taps into the way people actually are rather than the way we wish we are. A classic fiscal conservative, I think has a hard-eyed view of the world as it is that I think is noteworthy.

I think the only reason I won't type myself as at least a fiscal conservative is because:

a). The whole anti-tax idea doesn't really get me going (maybe cause I'm too poor to pay income taxes? :reject: )

b). I do tend to support some government social programs as poor quality as I think they often end up being because the private sector doesn't offer any guarantees for those who can't afford privatized services.
This is more or less what I was going to say, except that in the end it feels like I'm more comparing stereotypes of "what conservatives are like" "what liberals are like" than realities. In a sense I think all you're saying here is that you're inclined to distrust hardcore ideologues, people who keep clinging to some ideal to the point where they refuse to entertain evidence that it does more harm than good, and both parties certainly have those.

This is more or less what I was going to say, except that in the end it feels like I'm more comparing stereotypes of "what conservatives are like" "what liberals are like" than realities. In a sense I think all you're saying here is that you're inclined to distrust hardcore ideologues, people who keep clinging to some ideal to the point where they refuse to entertain evidence that it does more harm than good, and both parties certainly have those.

Granted, we're speaking in such broad generalities it certainly is easy to fall into stereotyping. Yet, I don't think many conservatives (or liberals) would feel it's oversimplyfing to say less government spending is a basic conservative principal. Granted I don't think the left automatically supports "more government spending" but I do think liberals tend to put more faith in government programs (which naturally require more spending). Maybe that's sterotyping, maybe not. . . :shrug:

But yes you're right, I don't trust hardcore ideologues.

I like the old fashioned idea that Republicans used to have about the government staying out of people's private lives. I miss that. Some still have it, and I admire that.

A goverment big enough to give you everthing you want,
is a government big enough to take everything away.

~Barry Goldwater

Back
Top Bottom