WHAT are the Republicans seeing that nobody else is? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:52 PM
crys WHAT are the Republicans seeing that nobody else is?

According to a new ARG poll Bush is at a 19% approval rating (76% disapprove). The internals:

Quote:
Among Republicans (33% of adults registered to vote in the survey), 48% approve of the way Bush is handling his job and 46% disapprove. Among Democrats (40% of adults registered to vote in the survey), 3% approve and 95% disapprove of the way Bush is handling his job. Among independents (27% of adults registered to vote in the survey), 8% approve and 87% disapprove of the way Bush is handling his job as president.
What the hell, honestly?

Is this such blind devotion, or is there seriously something wrong with their thought process? The Dems are a given, but the Independents hold nearly identical views - so is everybody else crazy or what?

Somebody ssplain?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Bush is at a 19% approval rating

That's awesome.

I'm glad I could have a beer with him in my backyard.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
According to a new ARG poll Bush is at a 19% approval rating (76% disapprove). The internals:

What the hell, honestly?

Is this such blind devotion, or is there seriously something wrong with their thought process? The Dems are a given, but the Independents hold nearly identical views - so is everybody else crazy or what?

Somebody ssplain?
They recognize that despite many mistakes over the past 8 years, Bush has made many good decisions, especially when it comes to the most important issues.

Taliban removed from power in Afghanistan in 2001.

Saddam's regime removed from power in Iraq in 2003.

Resisting calls for withdrawal from Iraq and putting in place the Surge strategy that even Barack Obama now admits has been amazingly successful.

Cooperating with multiple governments in the killing and capture of Al Quada members all over the world.

An overall successful economic record even when compared to the Clinton years:

The Average National Federal Debt as a percentage of GDP:
Clinton Years 64.5%
Bush Years 61.9%

Average GDP growth rate:
Clinton Years 5.4%
Bush Years 4.8%

Average Annual Poverty Rate:
Clinton Years 13.3%
Bush Years 12.3%

Average Annual Inflation Rate:
Clinton Years 2.60%
Bush Years 2.69%

Average Annual Unemployment Rate:
Clinton Years 5.21%
Bush Years 5.20%

These are just a few of the things that they see.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
An overall successful economic record even when compared to the Clinton years

STING, this is your best work yet. Congrats.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
The Average National Federal Debt as a percentage of GDP:
Clinton Years 64.5%
Bush Years 61.9%

Average GDP growth rate:
Clinton Years 5.4%
Bush Years 4.8%

Average Annual Poverty Rate:
Clinton Years 13.3%
Bush Years 12.3%

Average Annual Inflation Rate:
Clinton Years 2.60%
Bush Years 2.69%

Average Annual Unemployment Rate:
Clinton Years 5.21%
Bush Years 5.20%

These are just a few of the things that they see.
Are they really that different, according to these numbers? I'm no economist. And if they are so different, does beating Clinton in the success stakes therefore make him an all-round great President? Because if beating Clinton is what it takes, then good luck with that! You've got a President who beat Clinton. Yep. Great stuff. Worth voting for him repeatedly for. Yay, Bush, you beat Clinton.
:rah-rah:
Old 09-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:52 AM
This chart comes up every other thread, and though it was already decomposed and argued he keeps on trying. Bonus points for efforts.

Other than that, the list shows what Republicans, according to Sting's understanding, care about: Going to war and staying there, and some economical figures which at first glance seem impressive, but put into context aren't that amazing.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Somebody ssplain?
OK, well, based on the people I know that fit into this category - they don't think they are well-to-do, but compared to most of the country and world, they are (by way of having a job, a home, and some form of health insurance). They think that because things worked out OK for them, things are going OK in general. Along with this, they live in bubbles. They have decent jobs and nice families. Their world doesn't really extend beyond this. They've never asserted themselves politically or socially, many have not even traveled outside of the country or made any attempt to immerse themselves in any culture foreign to their own. Most of them are religious and traditional and yes, their views on secular politics are absurdly tainted. Again, because they live in a bubble and only look out for themselves and their immediate spawn, they happen to think than anyone who might ever need some form of government assistance (public education, welfare, health coverage...) is just lazy.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:52 PM
I think that covers a lot of it, Leisje. Unfortunately.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
An overall successful economic record even when compared to the Clinton years

Is that before or after a certain trillion dollar bailout?

I keep hearing that some person was asleep at some switch....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
Are they really that different, according to these numbers? I'm no economist. And if they are so different, does beating Clinton in the success stakes therefore make him an all-round great President? Because if beating Clinton is what it takes, then good luck with that! You've got a President who beat Clinton. Yep. Great stuff. Worth voting for him repeatedly for. Yay, Bush, you beat Clinton.
:rah-rah:
Actually I was pointing out how similar their overall records on the economy have been. The Clinton years are often held up as the example of what a great economy looks like, and when you look at the numbers, Bush is not that much different, and in fact has a better record than Clinton in several area's.

Thats part of the reason why there are millions of people out there that still approve his record.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
Jesus Online

The very fact that health insurance is a sign of a comfortable life is a very sad thing. Heath care and education are things you ought to be able to take for granted! They're certainly no privilege. That land of opportunity of yours should demand more. Come join the rest of us some time. We still manage to balance a budget and educate the healthy masses. It just might mean we have to engage in one or two less wars peace-keeping missions.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
Jesus Online

Quote:
Actually I was pointing out how similar their overall records on the economy have been. The Clinton years are often held up as the example of what a great economy looks like, and when you look at the numbers, Bush is not that much different, and in fact has a better record than Clinton in several area's.

Thats part of the reason why there are millions of people out there that still approve his record.
Apologies, Sting. You've always been so critical of Clinton's record, so I thought you were saying the margins here were significant.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
This chart comes up every other thread, and though it was already decomposed and argued he keeps on trying. Bonus points for efforts.

Other than that, the list shows what Republicans, according to Sting's understanding, care about: Going to war and staying there, and some economical figures which at first glance seem impressive, but put into context aren't that amazing.
I know you don't like the chart, but its a fact, a fact that many people in the years to come will look at when doing an assesment of the Bush Presidency when compared to other Presidents. These are basic macro-economic statistics that any historian looks at when assessing what life was like, or what the standard of living was like during a certain administration. These same statistics were used to trumpet the success of the Clinton administration at the end of his time in office.

But far more important than those factors was the necessary removal of the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, and the Saddam regime in Iraq as well as rolling up the Al Quada network across the globe. National Security is the most important job of the President, and Bush has succeeded in ways that others have not.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
Apologies, Sting. You've always been so critical of Clinton's record, so I thought you were saying the margins here were significant.
I'm sure I have had some criticism of Bill Clinton, but I thought he was overall a good President. I think you got me confused with someone else.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
OK, well, based on the people I know that fit into this category - they don't think they are well-to-do, but compared to most of the country and world, they are (by way of having a job, a home, and some form of health insurance). They think that because things worked out OK for them, things are going OK in general. Along with this, they live in bubbles. They have decent jobs and nice families. Their world doesn't really extend beyond this. They've never asserted themselves politically or socially, many have not even traveled outside of the country or made any attempt to immerse themselves in any culture foreign to their own. Most of them are religious and traditional and yes, their views on secular politics are absurdly tainted. Again, because they live in a bubble and only look out for themselves and their immediate spawn, they happen to think than anyone who might ever need some form of government assistance (public education, welfare, health coverage...) is just lazy.

Thats the stereotypical view many liberals have of conservatives. But its just not true. For example, you realize, Bush's strongest group of support(except for evangelicals) comes from the US military. So much for this theory about all these Bush supporters living in a bubble and not traveling outside the country.