Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:06 PM

Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
According to a new ARG poll Bush is at a 19% approval rating (76% disapprove). The internals:

What the hell, honestly?

Is this such blind devotion, or is there seriously something wrong with their thought process? The Dems are a given, but the Independents hold nearly identical views - so is everybody else crazy or what?

Somebody ssplain?
we've gotten to the point in our nation where if there was a democrat in office who was doing just as bad a job, the numbers would look very similar, only reversed. thus why nothing can get done in this shit hole, and we're headed right down the toilet just like every empire in the history of man kind has before us.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

I guess some are especially good at living in denial and/or covering their own butts and rationalizing. They voted for him and they don't want to admit reality and face it that he was a mistake. That combined with living in a bubble. Some of them are so well off that they would also respond that the economy is doing well too. Remember, the recession is just mental and we're all a bunch of whiners.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I guess some are especially good at living in denial and/or covering their own butts and rationalizing.
I would guess that that's why he's still supported by some members of the military and their families. Supporting him is their attempt to reduce cognitive dissonance, and to give their experiences meaning. And really, in this case, I can't blame them. They've gotta cope somehow.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:06 PM
Gosh, I feel bad for those poor ignorant types who don't think like us. They must be ignorant/self-absorbed/ill-informed/poor/military families who have to cope somehow.

I love me some stereotypes!

ETA: Just like most other people, I too am looking forward to a new administration. I think that the first six years of the Bush presidency were a great proving ground for why both parties need to get past the resentment of the 2000 election and learn how to work together, why ideologues on both sides need to stay relegated to the sidelines, and why government works best under a two-party system where no one party has a stranglehold on the legislative and executive branches.

At the same time, I think it's patently offensive to write off those who disagree with our mentality. It's not fair to them, and it's not really fair to the two-party system we try to uphold. There are those who still support Bush, particularly when it comes to core conservative issues like national defense. Those people should not be ridiculed or written off, or -- worse -- patronized. There was a day (prior, it seems, to 2000) when smart, educated people on both sides of the aisle could disagree without accusing the other side of idiocy or ignorance. Oh, to have those days again...
Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post

Bush didn't do everything wrong. To the contrary, luckily in part he didn't do anything.
Liberals need to develop a more honest and objective view of the Bush years instead of presuming that everything that has gone wrong over the past 8 years is Bush's fault, and that everything that has gone right over the past 8 years he had nothing to do with it.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Gosh, I feel bad for those poor ignorant types who don't think like us. They must be ignorant/self-absorbed/ill-informed/poor/military families who have to cope somehow.

i take the point, but is it also not fair to ask the question: why do certain empirical facts not seem to have any bearing on certain people's perception of this particular president?

as as been said, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts, and when there's a wide, wide, inarguable gap between the two, is it not poor thinking to wonder if there's not some magical thinking going on in the minds of this particular 19%?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post

ETA: Just like most other people, I too am looking forward to a new administration. I think that the first six years of the Bush presidency were a great proving ground for why both parties need to get past the resentment of the 2000 election and learn how to work together, why ideologues on both sides need to stay relegated to the sidelines, and why government works best under a two-party system where no one party has a stranglehold on the legislative and executive branches.

At the same time, I think it's patently offensive to write off those who disagree with our mentality. It's not fair to them, and it's not really fair to the two-party system we try to uphold. There are those who still support Bush, particularly when it comes to core conservative issues like national defense. Those people should not be ridiculed or written off, or -- worse -- patronized. There was a day (prior, it seems, to 2000) when smart, educated people on both sides of the aisle could disagree without accusing the other side of idiocy or ignorance. Oh, to have those days again...
Please. 19% who approve and 76% who disapprove means that there is a very, very large segment from your side who disapprove of him, as well. Are they being offensive, too? Or is the 19% a group who were gifted with some sort of special insight that the rest of us don't have?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #39
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i take the point, but is it also not fair to ask the question: why do certain empirical facts not seem to have any bearing on certain people's perception of this particular president?
Many Democrats should be asking themselves that question since they have a particularly unwarrented extreme view of the current President despite the empirical facts.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Please. 19% who approve and 76% who disapprove means that there is a very, very large segment from your side who disapprove of him, as well. Are they being offensive, too? Or is the 19% a group who were gifted with some sort of special insight that the rest of us don't have?
Or could it be that its the many of the 19% who are correctly assessing the situation just as the 22% who approved of Truman in 1952 have been proven to be correct in their assessment of Turman.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:06 PM
Have any of you considered the fact that the majority of the 19% is Strongbow, Sting, Sting2 taking the poll under several aliases?

That's the only logical answer I can find.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Yes I suppose invading other countries could be considered "travel."
Good one!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
the empirical facts.

A select few empirical facts.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
A select few empirical facts.

i think "empirical" is being a bit generous.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Or could it be that its the many of the 19% who are correctly assessing the situation just as the 22% who approved of Truman in 1952 have been proven to be correct in their assessment of Turman.
Oh, I think odds are highly against that.