We're due for a breast feeding discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
burkha1.jpg

An immodest woman is like uncovered meat, and must be responsible for getting unwanted attention.

A few orders of magnitude greater than your plea for modesty, but it comes from a similar place.

:lol: You took the words right out of my mouth! The men in thiscountry are puritans too! :p

Didn't know that, GaleonGirl. INteresting.

Anitram: Yes, in a lot of places, women aren't encouraged to breastfeed. Where I grew up, it was bottles and fake baby milk all the way. SO you just don't see it, which would make me have an uncomfortable moment. But I do know it's a natural thing, and that women do breastfeed. The theory versus the reality, however, can be difficult for some to parse, I think. And breastfeeding mothers are simply going to have to deal with that when they do it in public.

They're also going to have to deal with the fact that not everyone is going to cheer them on. It's sad, but it's also the reality of the country we live in, in America.

And oh yes, I did see the nursing blouses. Very pretty. But it wasn't really answering my point -- which was that I don't get the anti-blanket on baby's head when breastfeeding argument, when I've seen babies with blankets over their faces at many, many other times, indoors or out. It doesn't make sense. If you're going to insist on a blanket shrouding a baby's head at any other time, then the baby should be all right with a blanket on his head at that time. Not that I personally agree with blanketing a kid's head, and can even see where it's probably nicer to be able to see your baby's face while feeding him or her.

One of my friends had a baby while in law school and brought him to class (as young as 5 days old) and continued to do so. She breastfed him in class as well. When he was little, he didn't mind being covered by the blanket. Once he got to be about 6 months old, he liked looking around at the world while he was feeding and he'd start kicking his legs and wouldn't latch on and would scream if you tried to cover him. So it's not always as easy as you think.

Wow. Interesting. Breasts are not erogenous zones? This is news to me. Seems to me that a lot of women who enjoy -- and feel sexual about -- having their breasts fondled, licked, and sucked by adults of either sexes haven't got this news flash. They're /both/. One doesn't take precedence over the other. Like the penis and vagina have more than one function. It depends on the situation you're using them for.
Obviously, a woman doesn't have an orgasm (that I know of, having never breastfed) while breastfeeding, but I would imagine most women who breastfeed aren't exactly repulsed by the sensation of their baby breastfeeding. Pleasant hormones to make a woman want to feed her kid, or somesuch.
Actually, the vagina doesn't serve any other function besides sexual/reproductive (which are essentially the same.) And the vaginal canal itself isn't all that sexually sensitive. Being the birth canal, it's thankfully short on nerve endings, with the clitoris (which is not even next to the vaginal opening) serving as the supreme sexual organ in females. Aside from the opening, and the g-spot (which isn't sensitive at all in many females), the vagina itself provides very little sexual pleasure for women.

As for breasts... yes they are an erogenous zone, and that serves as a function too. Breast stimulation directly affects the uterus, because after giving birth, women are meant to begin nursing right away, this causes uterine contractions which help the uterus get back to its normal size. Nipple stimulation can also aid in childbirth by doing the same thing, which is why often women in the late stages of pregnancy try to avoid excess nipple stimulation, as it can bring on early labour.

But you're not too far from the mark. Women have reportedly experienced orgasms from breastfeeding. However, that is a rare occasion, and for the most part, while light nipple stimulation can feel incredibly good, anything heavy or rough can get very painful, very fast. I'm not a mother and have never breastfed, but I've had to tell boyfriends to back off before when stimulation went quickly from pleasurable to painful. And believe me, babies are much greedier than men. Think about the amount of suction a baby must apply to get the milk.

And oh yes, I did see the nursing blouses. Very pretty. But it wasn't really answering my point -- which was that I don't get the anti-blanket on baby's head when breastfeeding argument, when I've seen babies with blankets over their faces at many, many other times, indoors or out. It doesn't make sense. If you're going to insist on a blanket shrouding a baby's head at any other time, then the baby should be all right with a blanket on his head at that time. Not that I personally agree with blanketing a kid's head, and can even see where it's probably nicer to be able to see your baby's face while feeding him or her. Discretion, though, IS a good thing. Like those shirts. Or finding a way to do it so your boob isn't waving around (which, obviously, 99 percent of breastfeeding mothers DO do) for others to see.
For one, it can be very uncomfortable for the baby in hot weather, especially as babies lack the ability to sweat. And as anitram has pointed out, older babies won't put up with it. Both mother and baby like to see each other and maintain eye contact during feedings, and once babies become aware of the world around them, they hate having it closed off from them.

I was told that the mere mention of babies can make a pregnant/recently given birth mother lactate. :lol::uhoh:
Not so sure about that, but there does seem to be a very strong physiological connection between a mother, her milk, and her baby. If a woman hears her baby crying, she'll begin lactating, and can even start to do so before the baby even starts crying. It's quite interesting.

Many people have tremendous difficulty compartmentalizing the two functions. Including some new mothers who choose not to breastfeed at all for this reason. Sad for the babies.

As more of the current echo boom 20somethings start families, public breastfeeding will become a non-issue. Those who continue to be uncomfortable about it may still complain but no one will be listening.

Okay, I have to tease you, Dream: a woman pees with her vagina. Okay, maybe not the birth canal itself, but um..unless the woman has some... interesting anatomy down there, the urinary opening is down there, too. Heh. But yeah, I you get my point. The functions are not as separated as we puritanical, hysterical Americans would like to believe.

Makes me think of a friend of mine whose wife recently had a baby. The guy gets treated like a walking wallet, not a human being with needs. It's all about the baby for his wife, and he does not exist except to pay the bills. Ironically, she gets angry when he chooses to go out every once in awhile to get away from her and the baby mania.

However, that is a rare occasion, and for the most part, while light nipple stimulation can feel incredibly good, anything heavy or rough can get very painful, very fast. I'm not a mother and have never breastfed, but I've had to tell boyfriends to back off before when stimulation went quickly from pleasurable to painful. And believe me, babies are much greedier than men. Think about the amount of suction a baby must apply to get the milk.
Yep. Breastfeeding can be quite painful. A lot of women have difficulties with it.

A woman pees with her vagina? :huh:
:doh: lol

Okay, I have to tease you, Dream: a woman pees with her vagina. Okay, maybe not the birth canal itself, but um..unless the woman has some... interesting anatomy down there, the urinary opening is down there, too. Heh. But yeah, I you get my point. The functions are not as separated as we puritanical, hysterical Americans would like to believe.

Makes me think of a friend of mine whose wife recently had a baby. The guy gets treated like a walking wallet, not a human being with needs. It's all about the baby for his wife, and he does not exist except to pay the bills. Ironically, she gets angry when he chooses to go out every once in awhile to get away from her and the baby mania.

Wow. You really have lead a sheltered life. May I suggest you look on the internet for some book on female anatomy?

And ofcourse it's annoying for a guy that all the attention goes out to the baby and the wife, but that will pass. A man should never choose to go out to get away from his wife imo. He may choose to get some time for himself, but not to get away from her.

^Umm well with all the best intentions in the world, even your most loved person can still annoy you.

A man should never choose to go out to get away from his wife imo. He may choose to get some time for himself, but not to get away from her.

Wow you must have had some ideal relationships because I've certainly wanted and needed to get away from the other person on occasion. And I never thought there was anything wrong with that either. :shrug:

:lol: You took the words right out of my mouth! The men in thiscountry are puritans too! :p

You dont think some senior women who werent used to seeing it in public might feel uncomfortable? Nowhere in my argument did i say that it was only men. Equating my comments to that picture is about as twisted as it gets

GaleonGirl: Nope, you may not. Fact is, common usage of the word 'vagina' includes everything related to feminine genetalia. Even if anatomy class teaches that there are different parts. Which I know; I just don't happen to walk around using excessively 'correct' terminology just to prove I can.

As to the other... wow. Really? So he should choose to get physical when she makes him angry rather than walk away and calm the hell down? Whoa. Because, yanno, you completely misread what I said: 'FOR HIS WIFE' is not the same as other people walking up and cooing over the baby and his wife. She seems to believe that he no longer needs her to be his wife. She's the mother of his child and that's all, as far as she's concerned, but gets upset if he comes to me for a hug and a kiss on the cheek, in the brother/sister sense. She forgets the man isn't made of stone.

GaleonGirl: Nope, you may not. Fact is, common usage of the word 'vagina' includes everything related to feminine genetalia. Even if anatomy class teaches that there are different parts. Which I know; I just don't happen to walk around using excessively 'correct' terminology just to prove I can.

As to the other... wow. Really? So he should choose to get physical when she makes him angry rather than walk away and calm the hell down? Whoa. Because, yanno, you completely misread what I said: 'FOR HIS WIFE' is not the same as other people walking up and cooing over the baby and his wife. She seems to believe that he no longer needs her to be his wife. She's the mother of his child and that's all, as far as she's concerned, but gets upset if he comes to me for a hug and a kiss on the cheek, in the brother/sister sense. She forgets the man isn't made of stone.

Common usage where? I've never heard of such idiocrisy. Why not just name things how they are?

Wtf? get physical? Where did I say that? You're making no sense.

Huh? OK maybe 6 year think a "bagina" is all-encompassing.

everyone knows girls pee out their bum........ (I actually used to think this when i was about 5)

Makes me think of a friend of mine whose wife recently had a baby. The guy gets treated like a walking wallet, not a human being with needs. It's all about the baby for his wife, and he does not exist except to pay the bills.
From direct personal experience, I can vouch for the fact that when it's Mom who goes back to work soon after the birth and Dad who stays home with the baby, then Mom is likewise going to have numerous pouty moments of feeling 'left out,' or like her husband seems far more preoccupied with the baby's needs than with hers (and his own, for that matter--but an adult in a self-pitying mood tends not to recognize things like that). All of this is a normal and natural consequence of that fact that caring for a newborn, particularly if it's your first, is an overwhelming and exhausting experience, and will continue to be so until things settle into a comfortably predictable rhythm--which does take awhile.

I don't understand what any of that has to do with breasts/vaginas/penises/whatever having dual functions, either. You could speak of individuals playing multiple social roles, but that's true for everyone, parent or not. If you're married with kids at home, whether they're 16 days or 16 years old, then yes of course you'll need to be both husband and father, or wife and mother, when at home. Better get used to it--a preteen might not need as much oversight as a newborn, but s/he will certainly continue to exert many demands on both your attentions. Even something as 'minor' as the arrival of a new puppy or an elderly relative in the home will affect the dynamics of the relationship. Which doesn't have to be a problem so long as you both have realistic expectations--just be prepared for some utter chaos initially, because it's never easy to incorporate a needy new being into your household.

And I'll second the reaction of others that no, I've never known anyone who used 'vagina' as a euphemism for 'everything related to feminine genitalia.' Such euphemisms exist, but not that one that I've ever heard of.

in all fairness
young males do find female anatomy confusing.

it is quite different than what we males have.

I remember seeing the drawings in my 8th grade science class, (the first time I got any kind of sex education)
well, the line drawings did very little to educate me.

It did take real life experience, for me to have a reasonably good understanding of this information.

GaleonGirl: Nope, you may not. Fact is, common usage of the word 'vagina' includes everything related to feminine genetalia.

No.

Wait, so this guy is/intends to physically harm his wife when she makes him angry? "whoa" indeed. If he feels the need to have to flee so he doesnt "get physical" whenever theres an argument then he needs help.
Guy also needs to grow up if hes jealous of his OWN KID getting more attention than him. Its a baby FFS, it needs care. Maybe he should try joining in some time?

Fair enough, deep, I've had some adult female friends/house mates who have freaked out about this or that and their total lack of knowledge about their own bodies got them sorely mocked by the rest of us and sent off to their OBGYN, lol. But "confusing" is quite different from claiming it is a fact that when people say vagina they mean vagina, labia, urethra, clitoris, cervix, uterus......

First, I'm female, not male. Second, most of the people I know do, indeed use 'vagina' to mean everything associated with female genitalia. So, yes, if I use it in that sense, it's easier than going through listing every little bit that goes on down there. It doesn't mean I've been poorly educated or sheltered -- it just means I've probably gotten a little lazy about separating them out, because frankly I don't always remember which word goes with which bit, even if I know the difference. Call it a cultural difference, not something that should be mocked because "Woo, this person is IGNORANT."

And yeah, I do believe there a little bit of jealousy going on with my friend. And I think he'll come to terms with it eventually, which is why I've been patient with him. He's not quite used to the idea of being married, even. He's not exactly good at the old readjusting to surprises thing, let alone a small and noisy infant.His wife doesn't make it easy for him, though, when the wife won't let up for a second. No, GG, YOU didn't say that, I did. It was a question. He has a very, very short fuse. So, rather than go with his first impulse, he gets out of the situation, calms down, and comes back. As to whether he'll get therapy or not, I'm guessing not. He deals with it well enough in his own way. The problem comes from his wife's inability to even attempt to understand that sometimes, her husband might need a break from her constant demands for things that make no sense for a 6 month old living in an apartment, not a house. Among other things.

But antyways, the point I was trying to make (whihc got lost, here) is that people will go about expecting body parts to have only a singular purpose, and some do. Others don't. The vagina has more than one purpose, rather like breasts have more than one purpose.

Sounds like that guy has MAJOR issues. He's running from them too. He should have a conversation with his wife about this if he's feeling he's not being treated properly. Problems you're supposed to talk about, not run away from.

First, I'm female, not male. Second, most of the people I know do, indeed use 'vagina' to mean everything associated with female genitalia. So, yes, if I use it in that sense, it's easier than going through listing every little bit that goes on down there. It doesn't mean I've been poorly educated or sheltered -- it just means I've probably gotten a little lazy about separating them out, because frankly I don't always remember which word goes with which bit, even if I know the difference. Call it a cultural difference, not something that should be mocked because "Woo, this person is IGNORANT."
Your profile says that you're male.

And it may be "common usage", but only to uneducated and/or lazy people, and continuing to use it in such a manner, only leads to more confusion for young and uninformed people. Please don't, and try to learn other terms for yourself and your friends to use. The vagina serves only one purpose. The urethra serves only one purpose. The clitoris serves only one purpose. They all three just happen to be located in a row, but equating them all is the same as saying you use your whole face (eyes and nose included) to eat.

Your profile says that you're male.

And it may be "common usage", but only to uneducated and/or lazy people, and continuing to use it in such a manner, only leads to more confusion for young and uninformed people. Please don't, and try to learn other terms for yourself and your friends to use. The vagina serves only one purpose. The urethra serves only one purpose. The clitoris serves only one purpose. They all three just happen to be located in a row, but equating them all is the same as saying you use your whole face (eyes and nose included) to eat.

I'm educated on the area. But I'm lazy and proud of it, and will continue to be lazy and proud of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom