We're due for a breast feeding discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, it does. And as many times as I've reminded myself to fix it, I never have.

Dream: Eh, no. Because it'd get into the range of silliness. Because there IS no one singular word that one can use, that would include everything else. And, frankly, it ain't my job to go running around 'educating' other people's young people. That's their parents' jobs. Antyways, I'm pretty much done with this issue; it's obviously going nowheres.

Did ‘Modern Family’ mom Julie Bowen go too far with breastfeeding snap? � Entertainment

Actress Julie Bowen went on George Lopez's late-night show to brag on her twin one-year-old boys.

She also bragged about the "double football" breastfeeding style she used to feed the tykes - and brought photos to illustrate!

The "Modern Family" star said she had taken the same picture onto her appearance at "The View," but the ladies refused to air it.

Lopez had no such problem on late night.

A screen-grab from "Lopez Tonight" with the snapshot in question follows after the jump, so you can decide for yourself.

NSFW?

Okay, here's my two cents:

Breastfeeding is perfectly natural and the healthiest and best way to feed a baby. I was breastfed. If I ever had kids, I would breastfeed. I think more women should get over the 'omg a baby at my boob is grooooss' idea and breastfeed.

And when a mother is in public and her baby wants to nurse, she should nurse her baby. She shouldn't be forced to hide or seclude herself in a separate room, or just stay home, or pump beforehand so she can bottle-feed the baby instead.

Yes, women can (and many do) throw a baby blanket over their shoulder to cover the 'process'. The blanket doesn't actually make contact with the baby's face, so it's not cruel in that way, it just forms a tent around the baby and the mother's chest/arms. I think this is a very good, easy solution. But if for whatever reason, this is unfeasible/uncomfortable for the mother and the baby, there are loads of solutions that allow a woman to nurse her baby unencumbered, without exposing anything at all.

Look at these two images from a site that sells specially made clothes for nursing mothers:

27012_2.jpg
26091_2.jpg

You can hardly tell she's nursing at all. At a glance, it just looks like she's holding the baby. Nothing is exposed. A nursing baby takes the entire nipple and areola into its mouth. The nursing tops come with a covered slit, allowing the baby access. The slit can then be closed around the rest of the breast, covering everything that the baby's mouth isn't covering.

I can certainly see where people might be uncomfortable by a nursing mother having her whole boob hanging out, but honestly... it may be the natural way to nurse a baby, but in this society, any woman that does that in public probably wants the attention it will bring her. (And yes, that's my controversial statement for this post, here, have two more cents just for that)

There's no reason why a breastfeeding mother shouldn't buy a couple of nursing tops for use when she's out in public. They're no more expensive than other nice clothes, and they look perfectly stylish.

Chass thanks for the most sensible post in the entire thread. :up:
there is some serious immaturity and lack of life experience afoot in this place.

as a woman who has successfully breastfed 2 children and will feed the next one when she is born in a couple of months, i have found the majority of responses to this topic repulsive and offensive beyond reproach.

I could see how Julie Bowen's pic would cause a stir. It really is a beautiful photo, the boys are very sweet. At the same time, she has a rather impressive rack. Doesn't make me uncomfortable, but I'm sure people who have an issue with seeing breastfeeding in general wouldn't handle it very well.

as a woman who has successfully breastfed 2 children and will feed the next one when she is born in a couple of months, i have found the majority of responses to this topic repulsive and offensive beyond reproach.

You must not come here often-there are some unique attitudes about breastfeeding. Just do a search.

One completely breast obsessed man used to be here-just ignore him :wink: He had an alarm on his computer that signaled every time breast related topics came up in FYM, but I guess it broke.

Not breastfeeding several generations of children might be a cause in the future downfall of western civilization.

That is not hyperbole.

Not breastfeeding several generations of children might be a cause in the future downfall of western civilization.

That is not hyperbole.

That is not hyperbole.

That is not hyperbole.

what is it then?

But ... you don't read. Ever. You skim and then ask vague questions that require you to type no more than two sentences.

You've never given a legitimate response to anything that's been posted in your direction. It's frustrating.

He was asking a question related to the topic.

He has no obligation to ask you questions, nor do you have to answer his, however, if you make a habit of not showing other posters the respect of answering their questions head-on, don't be surprised when they respond in kind.

The link is good information about why breastfeeding is very important.

And in affluent Western civilizations breast feeding rates seem to be stabilizing, after declining for years.

Why some posters choose to attack other posters is beyond me.

People seem to be going overboard with those "tickers" you can get for your forum signatures (weight loss, birthday, baby due date...). On another forum I belong to someone has a sig for how long she's been breastfeeding. TMI much? What's next, a count down to someone's next BM?

On another forum I belong to someone has a sig for how long she's been breastfeeding. TMI much? What's next, a count down to someone's next BM?

:lol: Yeah I think perhaps some of those new moms get carried away. TMI is also just the nature of the internet.

Complete with size and color description. Dr. Oz would love it. I've never seen a human being so obsessed with poop.

But ... you don't read. Ever. You skim and then ask vague questions that require you to type no more than two sentences.

You've never given a legitimate response to anything that's been posted in your direction. It's frustrating.

Your question first, I guess.

I never give what?

Is reading the links frustrating?

Editorial, 2/1: Fast track breast-feeding bill

Back
Top Bottom