We're due for a breast feeding discussion - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:33 AM
I did believe that this existed in other cultures, just not in the US. Some people think it's "disgusting" and "weird" and I don't know how many people can ever get past that here. The breast is just far too oversexualized, maybe some people are threatened somehow by it being something else.

Looking for this one I was reading through another breast feeding thread here (my champion one ). Good times.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Mentally I am an infant according to my wife.
Do you have an alarm on your computer that signals you whenever breasts are brought up in FYM?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

I thought it was still common, even in the US, to sometimes have newborns breastfed by other women in the ward if their own mother had trouble producing milk, because of the great benefits of the initial feeding?

In any case, I've heard of at least 2 such examples anecdotally, and it didn't sound weird to me at all.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Doesn't seem too weird to me either. The only problem is that if a friend is breast-feeding a baby while the mother has to work, that doesn't really help the mother any, she still has to express the milk regularly and could pump it and leave it with whoever is caring for the baby. I used to nanny for very young babies and fed them their mothers' breast milk all the time. They had it in little baggies that fit right into the bottle. It grossed out my friends but it was actually a lot easier than making a formula bottle!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

This thread reminded me of this from a column in my local paper recently. The paper published several letters in which people disputed the notion that this was inappropriate in any way. When I read it I was saying WTF too. Wouldn't bother me and I'm childless.

Where Breast Milk Shouldn't Go
Proper use of the company fridge, plus nosy co-workers, demanding friends, and pushy invites.

July 13, 2008

A co-worker recently returned from maternity leave, and upon opening our office refrigerator today to grab my yogurt, I came face to face with a bottle of what appears to be breast milk, labeled with this woman's name. Although I breast-fed my children and am an ardent supporter of it, I always took pains to be discreet about it at work. If I pumped milk in the office, I stored it in a paper bag or small cooler so others wouldn't see it. What is your take on this? Should we all be exposed to her daily output of breast milk every time we venture to the fridge?

H.M. in Quincy

Your co-worker's behavior is seriously inappropriate, and I hope it can be attributed to the emotional upheaval of having to leave her baby and to the million-and-one things she must be trying to keep track of right now. One does not store bodily fluids - even sacred, precious, life-sustaining bodily fluids - in containers where others might see. Reasonable discretion and unreasonable body shame are not the same thing. Look, you're uncomfortable about this, and you're a breast-feeding veteran; imagine how childless colleagues, male and female, would feel. Worse yet, imagine a colleague both childless and clueless piping up at the morning staff meeting, "Hey, Sue, I ran out of half-and-half. Hope you don't mind I used some of your soy milk!" This must not be allowed to happen under any circumstances. I think you should address the matter with her, since you have lactation cred yourself, and she won't think you're a child- or body-hater. Explain to her how you handled the situation for yourself, and why.

July 18, 2008

I AM curious to know how the person who wrote to Miss Conduct (Globe Sunday Magazine, July 13) came to consider the presence of labeled breast milk in an office refrigerator to be a nearly traumatic "exposure." Unless there are safety issues involved, either to the breast milk, the refrigerator, the viewer, or the mother, how can a small container of breast milk in the office refrigerator be a problem? Is cow's milk in a thermos with someone's name on it equally distressing? I imagine not.

It doesn't seem much to ask that our workplaces accommodate the needs of parents of all sorts, but especially those of nursing mothers. Perhaps a compromise, as Miss Conduct suggested, would involve storing the breast milk in an opaque container, appropriately labeled, and tucked into a lunch box which is then placed in the fridge. Nobody should be snooping around in another's lunch, and any "exposure" on the part of the snooper would be due to his or her own curiosity.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

LOL, I've seen a LOT WORSE things in our company fridge than some fresh, contained breast milk!!! In our office if something has a name and date on it, it's off limits. So anyone mistaking labeled breast milk for half-and-half is an idiot, but the breast milk is probably healthier for them anyway...
Old 07-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #67
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
This must not be allowed to happen under any circumstances.
Wow some people are so damn uptight!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

It's breast milk that's used to feed a baby for God's sake, and anyone who helps themselves to anyone else's stuff in the workplace fridge deserves what they get anyway

It's not as if it's a guy bringing a sample to his doctor and leaving it in the workplace fridge That's not something you'd expect to find there in ordinary circumstances (unless you work in a really unusual office), whereas the breast milk is.

Ok, nuff said about that.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
This is very common in other cultures. In Africa there are women who are feeding several neighboring babies concurrently, none of which are their own.
It also increases the risk of infant mortality. Historically speaking, that is.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Do you have an alarm on your computer that signals you whenever breasts are brought up in FYM?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
I was thinking of the news story where the mothers had a nurse in protest at an Applebee's after one woman was asked to cover her breast- and therefore the baby's head- with a towel. She said it was cruel to the baby. I disagree. Nursing mothers in public are not ok IMO and if they are, might as well let every girl and woman expose their breasts in the mall. I know a lot of people who nurse and they squeeze the milk into bottles for when they have to be in public. I don't want to sound rude but it's gross. I don't want to be in a resturant and see some woman's boob getting sucked, which is essentially what it is.
Yes, that is essentially what it is. It's what they're there for. It's not gross, it's where we all started.

Quote:
How is a kid sitting in that resturant seeing a naked boob like this okay and not in a Playboy? It's still there, and doesn't belong in public view, sorry.
I'd tend to say it's healthier to explain to the kid that what the mother is doing is natural and not make a big thing of it, rather than gasp and cover the child's eyes and have them grow up thinking nudity is shameful in all its contexts.

Quote:
Bring a bottle or cover with a towel in the name of decency.
What's indecent about a breast being used for its primary purpose?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #72
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 01:33 AM
[QUOTE=dazzlingamy;4697048]
Most breastfeeding woman don't have the baby swinging from the nipple as they shop, QUOTE]

That happened in my shop once. I guess she felt comfortable because it's mainly women in my store but it was really hard to look her in the eye when I was copping an eyeful. . . .
She was almost topless.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:33 AM
My contribution for Dread

http://forum.breasttalk.co.uk/
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

It's actually World Breastfeeding Week this week

Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

kentucky.com

Posted on Thu, Aug. 07, 2008
Berea woman asked to leave McDonald's for breast-feeding
By Sarah Vos

A Berea woman called the police Wednesday after she was asked to leave a McDonald's restaurant because she was breast-feeding her 4-month-old.

Jessica Denny thought the police would enforce a Kentucky law that forbids interfering with a mother breast-feeding in public. Instead, the Berea police officer told her she would be charged with criminal trespass if she didn't leave.

Officers are aware of the 2006 law, but Denny wasn't breast-feeding when the officer arrived, said Berea police Capt. Ken Clark.

“We have to operate on what's going on when we get there,” he said.

Doraine Bailey, who advocated for the state's breast-feeding law, said it's meant to protect nursing women like Denny.

“Law enforcement should have been enforcing a law that says you should not be harassed,” she said.

Later Wednesday, the owner of the Glades Road McDonald's franchise issued a statement to the Herald-Leader saying she deeply regretted the incident.

In the statement, owner Sundae Park said: “It has never been our policy to ask nursing mothers to leave our restaurant. ... I have taken the necessary steps to ensure this mistake does not happen again.”

Still, Denny says she was embarrassed by what happened. She wants the restaurant to apologize and put a sign on its door saying that breast-feeding is allowed.

“People need to be educated,” Denny said. “It's not a perverse thing.”

The incident happened as Kentucky celebrates World Breastfeeding Month, and worldwide, public health officials are celebrating World Breastfeeding Week.

It also illustrates why Kentucky has such low breast-feeding rates, said Bailey, who is also the breast-feeding support-services coordinator for the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department.

“This is a young woman who is taking really good care of her baby and now she is being penalized,” Bailey said. “She should be praised.”

Of the 50 states and the District of Columbia, Kentucky ranks 50th in breast-feeding initiation, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends women breast-feed exclusively for six months and continue to breast-feed for the first year or as long thereafter as they and their babies desire.

Kentucky's law is meant to encourage women to breast-feed, said Sen. Tom Buford, R-Nicholasville, who sponsored the measure. But like many breast-feeding laws, it doesn't carry any penalties. Buford said that lawmakers could add a civil fine of $1,000 or $2,000 to make businesses pay attention.

Denny said she met her mother at McDonald's for breakfast Wednesday morning so her mother could see her only grandson, Spencer Blair.

Dennis Doan, a family friend who joined them, said Denny was sitting across from him and had a large purse on the table in front of her as she nursed her son.

“When she feeds, you can't see nothing,” Doan said. “It's ain't like she exposes herself to the world.”

When the manager came over, she spoke loudly and drew the attention of other customers, Doan said.

Some of them joined in, telling Denny she needed to cover up, Doan said.

Denny said a blanket wasn't an option.

“It's just the way he eats,” she said. “He just pushes the blanket off. And it's hot.”

Bailey said it's quite common for babies to refuse to nurse under a blanket. It's like eating with a napkin on your face.

Denny knew about Kentucky's law because of a mother who was asked to stop nursing at a Lexington Applebee's last year. That incident sparked protests at Applebee's across the nation. Denny wasn't a mother at the time, but she attended a Lexington protest with her stepmother.

Denny said she explained the law but the manager didn't listen. Her son started crying from all the noise. So she, her mother and Doan went to the parking lot and called the police.

When the officer arrived, Denny and the manager were being “very verbal,” and the manager asked Denny to leave, said Clark, the Berea police captain.

That left the officer with little choice, Clark said. Kentucky law says that a person who is asked to leave a business in front of a police officer and doesn't can be charged with trespassing, Clark said.

Denny left rather than be arrested. But she wants people to know she wasn't doing anything wrong. She was feeding her son.

“Nutrition-wise, it's the best I can give him,” Denny said. “And that's what I'm trying to do.”