Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #241
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse

It's not their business to be messing with my food choices.
You seem to be confusing information with legislation.

Quote:
It's not in the U.S. Constitution to limit the salt in my oyster stew.
No one is trying to legislate the amount of salt you can put in your oyster stew. Creating an imaginary bad guy doesn't help your argument.

Quote:
I'm still trying to understand why some seem to love giving a central government more and more power over our lives.
Again, information is not legislation. Claiming that the government is abusing its power by simply promoting healthy living choices would be like me saying that you're infringing on my rights by suggesting that exercise is good for me. It doesn't make sense. You're not forcing me to exercise, and the government is not forcing anyone to limit salt in their diet or eat healthier. So what exactly is the problem?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:56 PM
What's funny is he wouldn't have any problem the government forcing kids in public school to consume donuts, pizza, and whole milk. It's just the healthy food he has an issue with.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Michele Bachmann isn't even factually correct-the IRS would allow people to deduct certain breast feeding expenses if they itemize. Or use the pre-tax dollars in their medical savings accounts to pay for pumps. And the federal government is one of the biggest buyers of baby formula, through its nutritional programs for women and infant children. So giving a tax break for breast-feeding might actually help reduce government spending.

“No wonder Michelle Obama is telling everybody, ‘You better breast-feed your baby,’ ” she said at a speech on Long Island. “Yeah, you’d better, because the price of milk is so high right now.”~Sarah Palin

That's just hilarious. She should get Bristol to Google info about breastfeeding after she finishes Googling the economy info for her.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #244
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Did I do that?

yes, you did do that.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #245
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Actually I do recall iron horse complaining once that their cafeteria almost never serves green vegetables, because menu plans are based solely on what they think kids want to eat which is pizzas, burgers, etc.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Actually I do recall iron horse complaining once that their cafeteria almost never serves green vegetables, because menu plans are based solely on what they think kids want to eat which is pizzas, burgers, etc.
A fair point.

It was low of me to pick on him that way.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #247
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Michele Bachmann isn't even factually correct-the IRS would allow people to deduct certain breast feeding expenses if they itemize. Or use the pre-tax dollars in their medical savings accounts to pay for pumps.
I was wondering about that. I knew about it being added to the list of things that qualify for an FSA reimbursement, but the "deducting from your taxes" just seemed ... well, wrong.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #248
Refugee

Local Time: 09:56 PM
What I can't really wrap my mind around is that if breastfeeding is that important (I'm personally inclined to believe that it is), or mothering for that matter, why not support working mothers with maternity leave benefits rather than obligatory nursing stations in the office...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:56 PM
Giving people benefits for various reasons doesn't seem to be a favorable position among some people out there. If people cared about such things, Wisconsin wouldn't be in the uproar it is now.

I don't disagree with your idea, but good luck getting such a thing implemented here anytime soon.

Angela
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #250
Refugee

Ya think?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #251
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:56 PM
The US is just about the only country in the world that doesn't require some amount of paid maternity leave (see, e.g., Parental leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This situation is basically a legacy of both the hyperindividualistic nature of American culture and in turn the uniquely individualistic, 'rights-not-privileges' character of the women's movement in the US. Americans do have broadly the same preoccupations with and hangups over how to raise children as other Western societies, but when it comes to the social and political significance of parenthood as a status, Americans of all political affiliations tend to perceive it as just another personal project individuals choose to pursue, like building a yacht or keeping a pony. If you encounter problems balancing work-related and child-related responsibilities off against each other, well, then that's your damn problem and your damn fault for having recklessly reproduced in the absence of certainty you'd be able to manage all the longterm economic consequences. The notion that society at large might have some interest in structurally protecting and assisting families is not really there.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^Keeping a pony. . .I like that. . .
Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The US is just about the only country in the world that doesn't require some amount of paid maternity leave (see, e.g., Parental leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This situation is basically a legacy of both the hyperindividualistic nature of American culture and in turn the uniquely individualistic, 'rights-not-privileges' character of the women's movement in the US. Americans do have broadly the same preoccupations with and hangups over how to raise children as other Western societies, but when it comes to the social and political significance of parenthood as a status, Americans of all political affiliations tend to perceive it as just another personal project individuals choose to pursue, like building a yacht or keeping a pony. If you encounter problems balancing work-related and child-related responsibilities off against each other, well, then that's your damn problem and your damn fault for having recklessly reproduced in the absence of certainty you'd be able to manage all the longterm economic consequences. The notion that society at large might have some interest in structurally protecting and assisting families is not really there.
Great post.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #254
Refugee

Quote:
The notion that society at large might have some interest in structurally protecting and assisting families is not really there.
Yes, I know. As I watch what's going on in WI in disbelief I had to remind myself of this in the context of which it makes more sense. When it comes right down to it, it's every man for himself.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #255
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Great post.

Yes!

Another concern, I think, is young kids not getting enough fat in their diet.

Why Whole Milk is the Healthiest Choice - Signs of Life