Weiner-gate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More and more I'm thinking that we may see a reverse HW Bush situation next year.

Good man, decent president... done in by a shitty economy.

Headache, a blog I follow was talking of Bloomberg the other day:

The dark horse in the race is Michael Bloomberg, the highly popular mayor of New York. If there was ever a politician who can change his spots, it is Michael. A lifetime Democrat, he switched parties to win as a Republican in a Democratic town. He could flip flop again, or bolt to form a third party. I have known Michael since he went door to door on Wall Street seeking funding to start his data business to replace the aging Quotrons. A more quixotic mission there never was.

Yet he succeeded wildly, making himself a billionaire many times over, proving his credentials as an entrepreneur and a businessman, and creating an urban legend. An early adopter, I have personally paid him over $1 million in fees for the past 20 years for his versatile machine, as have most other hedge fund managers.

Where do the Republicans stand in all of this? They have to spend a year appealing to the conservative base, attempting to outmaneuver each other in a marathon to the right. Then they only have two months to swerve back to the middle to win the election. They have a somewhat hopeless task, and is why we have so many two term presidents.

What Rick Perry harangues about is popular in libertarian, oil based Texas, but will they wear it in Ohio, Washington, or Florida? I think not. Mitt Romney’s Mormon origins leave his party’s Christian base cold, and he is unelectable without them. Both these men are presenting themselves as modern day incarnations of Ronald Reagan. But I knew Ronnie for decades, first as an aspiring governor of California, and a Reagan they are not. I can’t imagine Perry telling me an off color joke.

The rest of the field are just “also rans”. On top of this, the power of the presidency as a campaign tool is not to be underestimated. Air Force One versus a chartered bus? Give me a break.

Diary of a Mad Hedge Fund Trader

I think Mike would be a tremendous president. Bloomberg winning as a third party candidate would restore my faith in american politics. A candidate that can't be bought.

That said, I'd be very surprised if he runs. But a man can dream.

I think his candidacy would be an interesting litmus test for Republicans. Are there still real fiscal conservatives in it and would they vote their conscience? If so, Bloomberg could win.
It also would be very interesting to see polling in a 3-way race between Obama, Romney and Bloomberg and Obama, Perry and Bloomberg.

a Bloomberg independent run would pretty much guarantee a GOP victory in 2012.

likewise, a Palin/Tea Party candidate would assure Obama's reelection.

A third party candidate would have no chance in the current political system. The two major parties have colluded over the last century to ensure that.

a Bloomberg independent run would pretty much guarantee a GOP victory in 2012.

likewise, a Palin/Tea Party candidate would assure Obama's reelection.

agreed, which is likely why bloomberg doesn't run, because he knows how difficult it would be, and how he's almost guaranteed to a) lose, b) be blamed by half the country for whoever does win.

how about if we get bloomberg and palin to both run :hmm:

And Bloomberg couldn't "switch teams" for a presidential run, either, because he wouldn't be able to satiate the religious fanatics in the GOP base before taking a nice, grand swing back to the center for the general election.

That it would. I think it's the only way Bloomberg could win.

And let me just add that I don't agree with everything Bloomberg has done. I agree with most, but he's screwed some things up along the line. But what I do know is that every idea he's presented is truly what he believes is best for the city, because there are no special interest groups financing him. He pays for himself.

He also lives a few blocks from me, so I knew if our power went out in the hurricane that shit would be back on quick :hi5:

120719_huma_abedin_lede_ap_328.jpg

I was ready to give Huma's husband a pass, say if New Yorkers choose him, it is their business

but now this????

WTF

Anthony Weiner admits to sending more lewd images, texts | Fox News

new penis picture here

this guy is useless, too much poor judgment to hold elective office

At what point does he get too embarrassed and just drop out of the public life for the sake of his wife and family? I would have been in hiding from day one. Unvelievable. He actually thinks he'll get a ton of votes? Come on.

And the name that so perfectly matches the controversy...I'm still wondering if this is some university experiment...

Unlike, say, Elliot Spitzer or David Vitter or even Mark Sanford, all Weiner has done is look foolish.

There's no evidence he's broken the law, or even committed actual adultery.

I think the guy's a creep, but if you were the lively Huma, would you rather your husband be caught sending dirty chats or paying for a prostitue to put you in a diaper (ie, Vitter)?

At what point did this guy cross the line from receiving forgiveness to being labeled "useless" and "too much poor judgment"?

It's not the acts themselves, it's the apparent lack of discipline on his part. This happened a full year after the first revelations, while he and his wife were giving interviews saying essentially the same thing they are saying now.

Naughty behavior on the part of public figures. . .eh, it happens. But when you continue doing the very thing that caused you to have to step down in the first place. . .to me that just indicates someone without the basic discipline and good judgement I would like to see in someone running one the nations largest cities. (Not that it matters since I'm not able to vote for or against him)

Unlike, say, Elliot Spitzer or David Vitter or even Mark Sanford, all Weiner has done is look foolish.

I actually like Elliot Spitzer. I don't agree with him on everything, but he seems unafraid to take it to Wall Street - and I like that. I'm always willing to give someone a second a chance - especially since I've received more chances in life than I've deserved...

There's no evidence he's broken the law, or even committed actual adultery.
You're correct. I think it's just a matter of character.

I think the guy's a creep, but if you were the lively Huma, would you rather your husband be caught sending dirty chats or paying for a prostitue to put you in a diaper (ie, Vitter)?
What about a husband who just keeps it in his pants (without diaper)? It's amazing that these men (especially Petreaus) think they can "get away" with adulterous behavior in this age of surveillance.

Speaking of Huma - I was impressed with her persona in front of the press. Perhaps she should run...

Word is that Huma is amazing. No one knows what she is doing with Weiner.

I admire Spitzer's ferocious intelligence.

At what point does he get too embarrassed and just drop out of the public life for the sake of his wife and family? I would have been in hiding from day one. Unvelievable. He actually thinks he'll get a ton of votes? Come on.

He was actually ahead of all the mayoral candidates in the polls. Let's see if he'll still be after this.

It was what he did after this scandal occurred that forever soured me on him. Clinging on to his precious office, for weeks and weeks, when it was clear he HAD to go. Exhibiting the worst of the worst in terms of elected leaders.

I've ranted enough about this before, so I won't do it again here. This desire of nearly all politicians to stay in office at almost any cost is precisely at the heart of what is wrong with our government.

If they had the courage to lose an election, we could get things like basic background checks on firearm purchases. Instead we get this kind of shit. Because of this, Weiner's desperate unwillingness to resign is what sticks with me. And THIS is what is unforgivable. His relentless ambition for power.

Plus Huma is way too good for him in more ways than one.

the guy is hilarious! he must be seriously fascinated with his own willy :D

It was what he did after this scandal occurred that forever soured me on him. Clinging on to his precious office, for weeks and weeks, when it was clear he HAD to go. Exhibiting the worst of the worst in terms of elected leaders.

I've ranted enough about this before, so I won't do it again here. This desire of nearly all politicians to stay in office at almost any cost is precisely at the heart of what is wrong with our government.

If they had the courage to lose an election, we could get things like basic background checks on firearm purchases. Instead we get this kind of shit. Because of this, Weiner's desperate unwillingness to resign is what sticks with me. And THIS is what is unforgivable. His relentless ambition for power.

Plus Huma is way too good for him in more ways than one.

There's a news clip where a woman asks him what makes him think he can be mayor if he has low morals. He responded by asking her if she would vote for him, and she said no. His response was basically "well fuck you!"

This guy is so deluded. And there will be some who will vote for him.

I don't really care about his "morals" - that's for him and his wife and family to deal with.

But you can't have somebody like him with such poor judgment and no impulse control as a government official. At a minimum, the possibility of him getting blackmailed is extremely high.

Back
Top Bottom