Weiner-gate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think you necessarily have to have physical relations in order to be "disgraced". But maybe if he hadn't lied and claimed that he had been hacked..and continued to lie until the lies just couldn't keep up with the number of women...maybe if he had just been truthful from the beginning and said that he needed some help, maybe things could have turned out differently.

For me lying is far worse than what he was up to- but being up to it while he was married, for me personally, that's not a positive character trait. Neither is it for the women who were doing it who knew he was married.

Totally agree.

In fact, if he had come clean in the beginning, he might have been able to stay in Congress long enough until a large part of his constituents was made up of people that have done dumb things online.
Many people I know who are younger than me have said ill-advised things or posted ill-advised pictures online. This will become less and less of an issue over time. Lying doesn't.

(I'm not talking penises, but drunk pics, badmouthing bosses/parents, etc.)

Many people I know who are younger than me have said ill-advised things or posted ill-advised pictures online. This will become less and less of an issue over time. Lying doesn't.

I get what you're saying but when you're in the public position that he was in, and put there by public majority decision..well it's just poor judgment multiplied so many times over. It seems he also had a consistent pattern of doing this-he was posting the pictures to specific people for specific purposes. Whether he just pushed a wrong button or not for that one pic- well it obviously went way beyond that, what he was doing in some of the other cases that have been made public. Just from what I know, I don't know all the details and I don't want to.

It's not as if he had a facebook page filled with a bunch of drunken partying pics. Or he was flirting with one person and got carried away.

But like I said, the lying did him in. All of that created the lying though. A tangled web.

OK, I just see your edit there :) Yes, penises are a whole different ballgame :wink: I'm watching the ballgame right now, not that one :D

I imagine the next generation will be less judgmental of a politician that posted nude/rude pics online, just like the current generation is less judgmental of a politician that admits to smoking pot.

Generalizing, but you get the idea.

Mr. Weiner:

After having learned of your sudden and compelled resignation from your Congressional post, I would like to make you an offer of employment at Flynt Management Group, LLC in our Internet group. As a Congressman, you are known for your intensity and perseverance. I believe that this attitude, combined with your service in the House of Representatives' Committee on Energy and Commerce, will make you a valuable asset to this corporation.

This offer is not made in jest. To show our sincerity, Flynt Management Group, LLC is willing to pay twenty percent more than your former Congressional salary, ensuring that your medical benefits would be equal to what you were previously receiving. While you will have to relocate to our corporate offices in Beverly Hills, California, we would pay for all relocation costs.

Again, I cannot emphasize enough the genuineness of this offer. We are a serious corporation which, as you know, has been heavily involved in the political environment of this country for over thirty-five years. Our key missions have consistently included the crucial fight of battling hypocrisy within the federal and state governments. Flynt Management Group, LLC and Hustler Magazine have been dedicated to decades of serious political commentary. Just as we do not undertake insincere political crusades, we do not make insincere job offers.

While this employment opportunity is being offered in large part due to your qualifications and clear passion for making a change, I feel that your unfortunate resignation is a prime example of unfounded political pressure and the hypocrisy that has invaded democracy in Washington D.C. I hope you will sincerely consider this offer, and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Larry C. Flynt

Rep. David Wu (D-Ore.) announced Tuesday he will resign from Congress following accusations he had unwanted sexual contact with a teenage girl.

alg_david_wu.jpg

Weiner gets a roomie at sex rehab.

Yeah...having two alleged sexual assaults to your name is in a whole other category from tweeting lewd photos.

Did we ever get to know if Weiner sent his pix to underage females?
(That would be a degree of sexual assault in my book, too.)

All I read is that there was one online communication with an underage girl that was supposedly investigated and didn't involve lewd talk or photos. Yes to me that's a different matter, once it involves underage people.

Did we ever get to know if Weiner sent his pix to underage females?
(That would be a degree of sexual assault in my book, too.)

here's the thing, he didn't know anyone's true age

second, once he put the full boner pic out, on the net everything is seen by everyone, he also shot pics in the Congressional Locker Room??

the Dems kept touting this guy as their most savvy, young and up-coming prospect that had mastered The Social Networking for the good of the party, to get the message out. He was their go to guy on 'Social Networking".

the guy is not a 21 year old college student, or even a 'marginal' celebrity, the allowances that some want to make for this guy are not warranted

(not that I have any opinions on this)

Yes for me that's the most reckless aspect of it. You just take that at face value and don't even think about the possibilities? How can you really reconcile that, that a 'lawmaker" could be so reckless to take such a risk?

It's a deal. About as much a deal as the R seats the D's won in NY and PA.

Not good news for the D's and for O, but special elections aren't all that predictive.

But, yes, this is bad news, though this is a part of Brooklyn that is heavily Orthodox and heavily Catholic, and the D was a piss-poor candidate.

It's not primarily about Israel, it's about the chillul Hashem (profaning God's name) charge a group of haredi rabbis leveled at Weprin over his vote in favor of same-sex marriage last June. The Orthodox in this district are predominantly Russian haredim and they tend to be strongly socially conservative. Had Weprin not been a (Modern) Orthodox Jew himself, it wouldn't have been nearly as much of an issue. Even given that, polling last week showed Weprin leading with Jewish voters by a small margin (there were no exit polls), so I assume the presence of large numbers of moderate-to-conservative Catholics (Turner is Catholic) in the district probably played some role too.

The article I read said it was about Israel and Social Security and something else I can't remember, for Mayor Koch. He seems to have a definite grudge against Obama regarding Israel.

I didn't even know he was still alive :silent:

:lol: the R was a lifelong business man... a political novice.

well, if you read a little about the race, rather than scoop the headlines from the right wing blogs, you'd know why he was a piss poor candidate.

there was a huge attempt to nationalize this race, because it seemed like a possible pick-up, and certainly discontent with national politics and the president was a factor.

but this is hardly the Upper West Side, and there are a lot of local issues at play that make it much more complicated than the "big fucking deal" links on redstate.org.

Back
Top Bottom