Weiner-gate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really care about his "morals" - that's for him and his wife and family to deal with.

But you can't have somebody like him with such poor judgment and no impulse control as a government official. At a minimum, the possibility of him getting blackmailed is extremely high.

It worked for Clinton...?

It worked for Clinton...?

Who had already been elected then reelected.

I agree, there's a double standard here, especially since Clinton actually received fellatio (from an intern!) and it seems that Weiner was merely masturbating.

But he was a known, proven political colossas. Fair or not, that spared him.

Along with the not unfair assessment of the GOP as puritanical, hypocritical witch hunters.

And the fact that women find him attractive.

I don't really care about his "morals" - that's for him and his wife and family to deal with.

But you can't have somebody like him with such poor judgment and no impulse control as a government official. At a minimum, the possibility of him getting blackmailed is extremely high.

I posted that to indicate how he apparently could care less on how people see - and I mean the average voter. The arrogance there is something else, and I totally agree with the poor judgment part. I thought he had poor judgment the first time, but this is absurd of him.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVb0pOKEnXk

He's also basically saying that if he were elected he won't give a damn about those who dislike him. When you're an elected official, everyone matters, even those who didn't vote for you. Unfortunately, most politicians forget that.

I'm not at all a fan of choosing politicians based on personal life details, but this does seem like an exceptional case.

Governor of Arkansas? Absolutely.

I meant that, while it initially hurt him in the primary, he managed to endure some pretty scathing press and outlast his competitors -- despite some pretty serious attacks on his character back then too ... for many of the same things Weiner is being criticized for.

I'm not defending Weiner -- goodness no -- I'm just kind of intrigued how short collective memory seems to be about philandering politicians overcoming indiscretions (and the resultant character critiques). *shrug*

I think we're very, very forgiving when it comes to talent.

A dozen athletes, musicians, and actors come to mind.

I think we're very, very forgiving when it comes to talent.

A dozen athletes, musicians, and actors come to mind.

I'd replace talent with wealth here. We're forgiving of talentless hacks who have inexplicably made large amounts of money being mediocre at best at their crafts despite their popularity, but that's an entirely different thread anyway.

I'd replace talent with wealth here. We're forgiving of talentless hacks who have inexplicably made large amounts of money being mediocre at best at their crafts despite their popularity, but that's an entirely different thread anyway.

No, I think talent trumps all.

Wealth doesn't hurt though.

Is it a talent of charm?

I think the word we're looking for is charisma. In the age of entertainment, charisma wins every time.

Can anyone name the last candidate for elected office that was less charismatic than his/her defeated opponent?

BTW, AEON, I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. Let me know when I can try again.

Back
Top Bottom