Weather Discussion Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 09-02-2016, 01:25 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Is it too late for Key West to repent and prevent this?

Old 09-02-2016, 02:55 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Weather Discussion Thread

Being in a hurricane is sort of exciting, in some light. In the appreciation of the power of Mother Nature, I suppose.

I remember during hurricane Wilma watching our pool screen lift off the ground a foot or two and be set back down. And our neighbor's flat iron grill that was built into their wall ended up in their pool. Oh, and a panel from our screen was torn off and we found it pierced right through the aluminum gutter. But nothing was cooler than walking out during the eye. Eery, spooky calm. Beautiful hazy gray blue skies above. Mountainous, storm wall clouds headed your way.

Once safety and security has been achieved, the aftermath of a storm without power is quite enjoyable.

Here I am reminiscing over mass destruction from weather. I'm a terrible human being.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:08 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:54 AM
My biggest concern is that because a direct landfall isn't forecast for the NYC area that people will take this lightly, when the current forecast... where this thing just sits for three days over the gulf stream, spinning and strengthening, would be far worse than if it just plowed through as a mild tropical storm.

Really hoping these forecasts are wrong.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The building I live in is a block from the East River, technically below sea level, and took on extensive damage during Hurricane Sandy... so the predictions regarding the storm stalling out off the coast has me very worried.

They did a lot of work moving electrical equipment and vital infrastructure to higher ground after the insurance money came in, but I still have my doubts.

Really hoping this thing doesn't stall out.
I lived close to the East River as well (41st & 2nd) in NYC and there was no hurricane making land at that time but there were a couple of really nasty rain storms (probably from tropical depressions or something offshore) and I remember coming out of my building thinking if this was just a bit worse we'd all be swimming.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I lived close to the East River as well (41st & 2nd) in NYC and there was no hurricane making land at that time but there were a couple of really nasty rain storms (probably from tropical depressions or something offshore) and I remember coming out of my building thinking if this was just a bit worse we'd all be swimming.
Here's our flood zone map...

We're in the red.

And this was Sandy

Thankfully we're on a high floor, but if the waters do come in again we just have to hope that our management company didn't go cheap on the fortifications that were supposed to protect against this kind of thing if it were to happen again.

There's no immediate danger where we'd have to evacuate during the storm due to rising waters or anything like that... it's more the prospect of the power to the building being knocked out and having to be replaced again, which took months last time.

The subway system is still recovering from Sandy, and I don't know if they could handle something that floods the tubes again. They're already shutting the L Train tube into Williamsburg down next year for 3+ years to complete Sandy related repairs.

The problem here is that if it does stall it is going to be a prolonged event, not a sudden surge like Sandy... and does DeBlasio have the balls to shut the subway system down for a couple of days as a precaution, knowing that this shit is impossible to truly predict and the worst may never come?

I highly doubt it.

So we're just going to have to wait and see I guess.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
My biggest concern is that because a direct landfall isn't forecast for the NYC area that people will take this lightly, when the current forecast... where this thing just sits for three days over the gulf stream, spinning and strengthening, would be far worse than if it just plowed through as a mild tropical storm.

Really hoping these forecasts are wrong.
My favorite and least favorite working experience was on a program for the Weather Channel on Hurricanes. There were several episodes that had me crying at work, over how preventable so many losses were had people taken the threat more seriously :\
Old 09-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Weather Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
My favorite and least favorite working experience was on a program for the Weather Channel on Hurricanes. There were several episodes that had me crying at work, over how preventable so many losses were had people taken the threat more seriously :\

In modern times we became so accustomed to big Hurricanes taking 20-40 lives max. That prevailing mindset got people and government into trouble when Katrina hit when we lost 1,800 people.

Update on Hermine track seems to put it 80 miles off Cape May for several days as a Category 1. Eventually the process of sucking up the warm water at the surface will cause colder water from below to replace it. By day 3 will drop in intensity without the heat fuel and will then become extra-tropical meaning that it will suck in cold air from PA and Western NY causing to lose its Tropical status. Still dangerous even at that point with tidal surge continuing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 09-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Hewson- looks like you will get more of an onshore push of water than I previously estimated.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 09-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Great news. It gets kicked out east. Bullet dodged

Old 09-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Hewson- looks like you will get more of an onshore push of water than I previously estimated.

Haven't seen a drop of rain as yet, some clouds today and a bit of wind but that's it.
We need the damn rain.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Hermine finally making her presence felt a bit here. Wind has kicked up considerably the past hour. Just went down to Humarock Beach and the surf is pretty wild.
Little bit of rain so far, not much.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Here's our flood zone map...

And this was Sandy

Thankfully we're on a high floor, but if the waters do come in again we just have to hope that our management company didn't go cheap on the fortifications that were supposed to protect against this kind of thing if it were to happen again.

There's no immediate danger where we'd have to evacuate during the storm due to rising waters or anything like that... it's more the prospect of the power to the building being knocked out and having to be replaced again, which took months last time.
Damn, that is pretty bad. Are you in LIC? I'm in Astoria, but we're on high-enough ground that we missed the flooding for Sandy. Of course, at the time, I was writing for a local Queens paper, so instead I spent the first few part of the storm taking photos of the Cross Island Parkway getting flooded.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:25 AM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Yea we're in LIC
Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict