We Must Protect The Children From *&^% (SHIT!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I can't believe they are serious about this. They don't even use the actual word!

NEW YORK — A parents group is threatening CBS affiliates with challenges to their broadcast licenses if they air the network's new comedy with a title that alludes to an obscenity.

The Parents Television Council, which monitors decency issues, criticized CBS for picking up a comedy series called " Shit My Dad Says" that is based on a popular Twitter feed. Instead of the word, the CBS title uses a series of symbols.

The group says it will challenge the broadcast license of any CBS affiliate that airs the series or promotions for it before 10 p.m. CBS has scheduled the comedy for Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. It stars William Shatner as the father whose politically incorrect musings are put out on Twitter by his son.

Tim Winter, president of the Los Angeles-based organization, said he was aware that CBS was developing a series based on the Twitter sensation, but "we couldn't imagine that a network would actually name a program either with an expletive or with the expletive ostensibly bleeped out.

"We're talking here not about a Twitter feed, we're talking about broadcast television that requires a license to use the airwaves," he said.

He said he was concerned about parents confronted by promotions for the series when they are watching television with their children.

CBS pointed out that the Twitter feed, which uses the obscenity, has more than 1.5 million followers and has spawned a book.

"It will in no way be indecent and will adhere to all CBS standards," spokesman Phil Gonzales said. "Parents who choose to do so will find the show can easily be blocked using their V Chip."

Winter said his group's members will be monitoring how the show is promoted on local stations.

It's censored on the book cover too

41Tzl2fWRTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I went to the site and found an example of

Shit my dad says

"Don’t start a story with ‘This is SO funny.’ Be like saying, ‘My dick’s huge’ before you screw. Even if you’re right, you sound like an asshole."

great advice for the kiddies :up:

Someone should start a series about all these parental and family groups. Now that would make for great comedy!

The "Parents Television Council??? This is a very neat sounding name for the homophobic racist fundamentalist organization they are.
They think their job is to parent and patronize all of us and censor everything that clashes with their propganda. The problem is that they are very powerful in the movie industry, as they are linking the large film companies with big corporations.

Organizations like that should be forbidden!

They should really tick them off and change his name to Shitner in the credits :wink:

I laughed.

The "Parents Television Council??? This is a very neat sounding name for the homophobic racist fundamentalist organization they are.
They think their job is to parent and patronize all of us and censor everything that clashes with their propganda. The problem is that they are very powerful in the movie industry, as they are linking the large film companies with big corporations.

Organizations like that should be forbidden!

I remember after that Janet Jackson nipple slip they discovered that all of the complaints were all coming from either 1 person or a very small group or people. That such a small group could raise so much hell is kinda pathetic in some ways, but on the flip side, it's also kind of good - IF USED FOR GOOD, of course. So I don't believe they should be banned, but I do think that when a country is shown the same clip over and over and a national debate is had, it might be good to say, "Oh yeah, we only got complaints from 1 person..." up front.

"Parents who choose to do so will find the show can easily be blocked using their V Chip."

Yeah. I seem to recall that was the whole reason why stuff like that was invented. Besides that, we've got the Internet, BlackBerrys, iPads, etc....so either your kid likely won't see it on TV if the TV is barely used anyway, or they'll just find it online themselves. And I'm SO sure no parent has EVER used that word in front of their kids before, and of course, no child would ever be able to figure out what the word was that was being bleeped out :rolleyes:.

Can we protect children from the Parents Television Council and their ilk instead?

Angela

I remember after that Janet Jackson nipple slip they discovered that all of the complaints were all coming from either 1 person or a very small group or people. That such a small group could raise so much hell is kinda pathetic in some ways, but on the flip side, it's also kind of good - IF USED FOR GOOD, of course. So I don't believe they should be banned, but I do think that when a country is shown the same clip over and over and a national debate is had, it might be good to say, "Oh yeah, we only got complaints from 1 person..." up front.

The constant showing of and the debate about the nipple was to cover up the losses in the Iraq war and the violations of human rights in Guantanamo Bay. The conservatives and that Parent Censor Fraternity benefited from that; people didn't know the details.

The name Parents Television Council has been chosen to let people believe that they are a harmless, friendly organization with high morals and values. Propaganda.

Okay, one can wonder if the use of swearwords or showing a nipple during the Superbowl is tasteful or not, but to reduce entire news broadcastings and quality newspapers to cheap tabloids is an insult to an entire nations intellect!
And about the content of some series and movies: not everything should be family friendly, I don't want everything to be Sesame Street, Seventh Heaven or Dora.
There are other ways to warn people that a movie or series is age appropriate, bloody, violent or not, like the description and symbols in the tv guide or ceefax etc. And broadcasters are not so stupid to show child unfriendly material in the afternoon or early in the evening.

In English, we can give thanks or denounce the Germans for all of our four letter words.

Saint Paul uses the word translated in English as "dung" in one of his New Testament Letters.

In his own street language, he was using the word s?it.

I never understood the moral outrage over four letter words to begin with...

Why is shit worse than poop?

Why is fuck worthy of changing a movie rating, yet sex, screw, and all the other words that fuck can equate to are fine?

Why is ass ok, but not asshole?

I just don't get it. Why do some get all up in arms about these words yet some of those same folks don't care if the word ******, fag, or actual hurtful phrases are used?

Why is fuck worthy of changing a movie rating, yet sex, screw, and all the other words that fuck can equate to are fine?

I just don't get it. Why do some get all up in arms about these words yet some of those same folks don't care if the word ******, fag, or actual hurtful phrases are used?
because a lot of people are anuses.

or god being okay, damn being okay, but goddamn is worth bleeping. yes i know it takes the lord's name in vain, but so does the way most people in movies using the word god.

We were not allowed to say "oh my god" growing up. My parents didn't swear - my mom said "blankety blank" in lieu of cursing, and when my dad was really mad about something (usually work), he'd say "that G.D. guy."

Nowadays, I'll hear an occasional "ass" or "shit," which still shocks me when it comes out of their mouths. :lol:

You know what I think is weird about TV? It seems like you can say any variation of ass except "asshole." Is "asshole" the next taboo to be broken????

2-year-old-smoking.jpg

he a two pack a day 2 year old

I think the video is still here

The Don Draper Of Toddlers | Dlisted

and it is odd the motion pictures get an R rating for showing adults smoking
a perfectly legal behavior

and yet they manage to get in mayhem, eviscerations with a PG 13

and last I heard heinous murder was not legal :shrug:

(unless it is done, in the name of fighting terror)

An ABC pilot called “Good Christian Bitches” has religious and women’s groups up in arms over what they describe as an extremely offensive and distasteful show title.

The dramedy, based on Kim Gatlin’s novel of the same name, will be brought to life by famed “Sex and the City” and “90210” executive producer Darren Star. The plot centers on the life of reformed “mean girl” Amanda, played by “Talladega Nights” actress Leslie Bibb, who returns to her hometown of Dallas to find herself fodder for malicious gossip from the women in the Christian community.

Still in the early stages, the pilot has not been guaranteed a spot on ABC’s lineup. And though the show’s title may change before it goes to broadcast, “Good Christian Bitches” is already causing uproar.

Christian publisher Tessie DeVore told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column that the show, which features the tagline “For Heaven’s sake, don’t let God get in the way of a good story!” could put Christians in an unfairly bad light.

“I find the title offensive. I don’t think those two words should be combined,” she said. “A show like this can damage perceptions [of Christians in this country].”

It also could be a slippery slope for future shows, said Melissa Henson, director of communications and public education for the Parents’ Television Council tells Tarts.

“In the past, we’ve raised concerns about changing language standards for television," Henson said. "Once a particular profanity or obscenity has been embraced by a particular show, it quickly becomes mainstream.”

And Yana Walton from the Women’s Media Center said Christians aren't the only ones who should be upset.

“It is not an appropriate term to use to describe any woman, regardless of their faith,” Walton said. “Entertainment media, especially music and films, have been normalizing misogynistic language for years.”

But despite the seemingly outrageous title, Dan Gainor, head of the Culture and Media Institute, is not surprised that the pilot has gone this far already.

“ABC is doubling down on the offensive by also approving ‘Don’t Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23,’ following up on the CBS show ‘$#*! My Dad Says.’ And this continued decline is unsurprising,” he said.

“The media keeps trying to redefine words and morality to mean what they say, not what they really do mean," Gainor added. "One wonders which network will be the first to drop the F-bomb in a TV title and whether the FCC will even intervene.”

Even if the title holds up, some are looking forward to the show.

“ABC’s core viewership is Christian, so the goal of the show won’t be to attack Christianity. Just like the book, this is a show by Christians, for (mostly) Christians, to enjoy a little prime-time self-deprecation,” Los Angeles-based entertainment expert, Jenn Hoffman said.

A representative for ABC declined to comment on the story.

Read more: Critics Slam ABC Pilot 'Good Christian Bitches' for 'Inappropriate,' 'Damaging' Title - FoxNews.com

Back
Top Bottom