We Must Protect The Children From *&^% (SHIT!) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:43 AM
We Must Protect The Children From *&^% (SHIT!)

I can't believe they are serious about this. They don't even use the actual word!

NEW YORK — A parents group is threatening CBS affiliates with challenges to their broadcast licenses if they air the network's new comedy with a title that alludes to an obscenity.

The Parents Television Council, which monitors decency issues, criticized CBS for picking up a comedy series called " Shit My Dad Says" that is based on a popular Twitter feed. Instead of the word, the CBS title uses a series of symbols.

The group says it will challenge the broadcast license of any CBS affiliate that airs the series or promotions for it before 10 p.m. CBS has scheduled the comedy for Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. It stars William Shatner as the father whose politically incorrect musings are put out on Twitter by his son.

Tim Winter, president of the Los Angeles-based organization, said he was aware that CBS was developing a series based on the Twitter sensation, but "we couldn't imagine that a network would actually name a program either with an expletive or with the expletive ostensibly bleeped out.

"We're talking here not about a Twitter feed, we're talking about broadcast television that requires a license to use the airwaves," he said.

He said he was concerned about parents confronted by promotions for the series when they are watching television with their children.

CBS pointed out that the Twitter feed, which uses the obscenity, has more than 1.5 million followers and has spawned a book.

"It will in no way be indecent and will adhere to all CBS standards," spokesman Phil Gonzales said. "Parents who choose to do so will find the show can easily be blocked using their V Chip."

Winter said his group's members will be monitoring how the show is promoted on local stations.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:43 AM
That's up.

Well they won't have to worry, that won't last but a few episodes.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

They should really tick them off and change his name to Shitner in the credits
Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:43 AM
We should protect the children from shitty TV shows.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

It's censored on the book cover too

Old 05-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I went to the site and found an example of

Shit my dad says

Quote:
"Don’t start a story with ‘This is SO funny.’ Be like saying, ‘My dick’s huge’ before you screw. Even if you’re right, you sound like an asshole."
great advice for the kiddies
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think that one will be on the show
Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

a shame
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:43 AM
Someone should start a series about all these parental and family groups. Now that would make for great comedy!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Refugee

The "Parents Television Council??? This is a very neat sounding name for the homophobic racist fundamentalist organization they are.
They think their job is to parent and patronize all of us and censor everything that clashes with their propganda. The problem is that they are very powerful in the movie industry, as they are linking the large film companies with big corporations.

Organizations like that should be forbidden!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
They should really tick them off and change his name to Shitner in the credits
I laughed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonoa View Post
The "Parents Television Council??? This is a very neat sounding name for the homophobic racist fundamentalist organization they are.
They think their job is to parent and patronize all of us and censor everything that clashes with their propganda. The problem is that they are very powerful in the movie industry, as they are linking the large film companies with big corporations.

Organizations like that should be forbidden!
I remember after that Janet Jackson nipple slip they discovered that all of the complaints were all coming from either 1 person or a very small group or people. That such a small group could raise so much hell is kinda pathetic in some ways, but on the flip side, it's also kind of good - IF USED FOR GOOD, of course. So I don't believe they should be banned, but I do think that when a country is shown the same clip over and over and a national debate is had, it might be good to say, "Oh yeah, we only got complaints from 1 person..." up front.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
"Parents who choose to do so will find the show can easily be blocked using their V Chip."
Yeah. I seem to recall that was the whole reason why stuff like that was invented. Besides that, we've got the Internet, BlackBerrys, iPads, etc....so either your kid likely won't see it on TV if the TV is barely used anyway, or they'll just find it online themselves. And I'm SO sure no parent has EVER used that word in front of their kids before, and of course, no child would ever be able to figure out what the word was that was being bleeped out .

Can we protect children from the Parents Television Council and their ilk instead?

Angela
Old 05-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
I remember after that Janet Jackson nipple slip they discovered that all of the complaints were all coming from either 1 person or a very small group or people. That such a small group could raise so much hell is kinda pathetic in some ways, but on the flip side, it's also kind of good - IF USED FOR GOOD, of course. So I don't believe they should be banned, but I do think that when a country is shown the same clip over and over and a national debate is had, it might be good to say, "Oh yeah, we only got complaints from 1 person..." up front.

The constant showing of and the debate about the nipple was to cover up the losses in the Iraq war and the violations of human rights in Guantanamo Bay. The conservatives and that Parent Censor Fraternity benefited from that; people didn't know the details.

The name Parents Television Council has been chosen to let people believe that they are a harmless, friendly organization with high morals and values. Propaganda.

Okay, one can wonder if the use of swearwords or showing a nipple during the Superbowl is tasteful or not, but to reduce entire news broadcastings and quality newspapers to cheap tabloids is an insult to an entire nations intellect!
And about the content of some series and movies: not everything should be family friendly, I don't want everything to be Sesame Street, Seventh Heaven or Dora.
There are other ways to warn people that a movie or series is age appropriate, bloody, violent or not, like the description and symbols in the tv guide or ceefax etc. And broadcasters are not so stupid to show child unfriendly material in the afternoon or early in the evening.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

YouTube - are kids growing up too fast?

protect the children
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

In English, we can give thanks or denounce the Germans for all of our four letter words.

Saint Paul uses the word translated in English as "dung" in one of his New Testament Letters.

In his own street language, he was using the word s?it.