Was the Allied bombing of German cities a war crime? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:51 PM
I really have no idea what's more ridiculous. The insinuation that Germans are still Nazis, or the statement that all bad comes from the Atheists.
I'm both. I'm afraid I may not sit next to anyone on a plane anymore.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I really have no idea what's more ridiculous. The insinuation that Germans are still Nazis, or the statement that all bad comes from the Atheists.
I'm both. I'm afraid I may not sit next to anyone on a plane anymore.
I'll add to this that the idea that all German soldiers were Jew hating murderers is ridiculous too. The majority were just young men fighting for their country just like every other soldier in the war was

Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
If you don't think there's an bias with the way the facts are presented, then there is no discussing it with you.

I know it's heart warming to think the allies were all heroic and law abiding (many were), but it's not reality
history
That, plus the kind of black and white thinking that Sting2/Bethere requires us to bring to bear against the great enemy of "moral equivalency", is, I think, incredibly dangerous, inherently. Actually, taken to extremes, it ultimately trends to the Nazism/Sovietism that Bethere/Sting2 claims to detest.

Maybe the US soldiers who raped Vietnamese women were victims of this black-and-white thinking. Or maybe they were secretly atheistic Nazis or Commies, or, almost as bad, deviant liberals and backsliding moral equivalators.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

Maybe the US soldiers who raped Vietnamese women were victims of this black-and-white thinking. Or maybe they were secretly atheistic Nazis or Commies, or, almost as bad, deviant liberals and backsliding moral equivalators.
Or maybe they just weren't true Scotsmen American Christians
Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
I'd like you to somehow relate all that back to what we were actually talking about. Feel free to start wherever you'd like
You were questioning the morality or absense of it from both parts. I replied saying that one part has unquestionably moral or higher moral than the other. The rethoric-questions I put are the answer and the justification.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
You were questioning the morality or absense of it from both parts. I replied saying that one part has unquestionably moral or higher moral than the other. The rethoric-questions I put are the answer and the justification.
Your rhetorical questions made no sense in relation to what we were talking about.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

As someone who has only been reading so far, Aygo, you appeared to be trying to make points about present day Europe in a discussion about World War II, which is sort of weird.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
As someone who has only been reading so far, Aygo, you appeared to be trying to make points about present day Europe in a discussion about World War II, which is sort of weird.
Do you know why?
Because today's european generations are not very different from european generations of the early XX century.
We may have internet, iPhones, education, health systems, and many other things, but... Expectations, but most of all, the national (and "intranational") identities are the exact same.
Today's events in Europe are the perfect mirror or what Europe is, of Europe's essence. If there's one thing that the present crisis is proving is that it all has emerged again, it was just hidden all this time under the surface. Nothing has really changed in fact. We've only made a break.
So, to me, talking about today's Europe is talking about Europe during the WWI or the WWII.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Your rhetorical questions made no sense in relation to what we were talking about.
Ok. So, instead of answering you, I will put you another question that, for me gives the answer it self.

Why did the UK and France declare war to Germany in September 1939?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
Ok. So, instead of answering you, I will put you another question that, for me gives the answer it self.

Why did the UK and France declare war to Germany in September 1939?
Why did Germany invade Poland?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #41
45:33

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Has anyone made a Fawlty Towers reference yet?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Well this thread ruined my night.

Yeesh.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Indiana Jones is on. I'm starting to reconsider. Maybe all Germans were evil
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Has anyone made a Fawlty Towers reference yet?
Dont mention the war, cobbler!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
The idea that any side was morally superior than another during the period is beyond ridiculous.
I wanted to give regular posters amble time to respond to this comment.

How sad that only one European poster could be bothered to testify to the clear moral superiority of the "side" that liberated Europe over the "side" that occupied and enslaved your continent.

How confusing that all the posters that can so easily discern homophobia and hate in a chicken sandwich won't take a minute to come to the defense of the moral superiority of the Allied Forces that, at great cost, defeated the regime that imprisoned, tortured and killed tens of thousands of homosexuals during the war.

How troubling that all our bright students, with history lessons still fresh in their minds, wouldn't remind us of the horrific statistics of 6 million Jews in the Holocaust and 10 million civilians on the Eastern Front dead at the hand of Nazi Germany. 30 million Filipinos, Burmese, Cambodians and Chinese civilians killed by the Imperial Japanese. Maybe history books no long contain details of the Bataan Death March, Joseph Mengele, Mussolini and all the other atrocities that make it impossible for a knowledgeable, objective person to say, "The idea that any side was morally superior than another during the period is beyond ridiculous."

This is from Ronald Reagan's Normandy Speech on the 40th Anniversary of D-Day.

Quote:
The men of Normandy had faith that what they were doing was right, faith that they fought for all humanity, faith that a just God would grant them mercy on this beachhead or on the next. It was the deep knowledge -- and pray God we have not lost it -- that there is a profound, moral difference between the use of force for liberation and the use of force for conquest. You were here to liberate, not to conquer, and so you and those others did not doubt your cause. And you were right not to doubt.
Ronald Reagan isn't speaking for conservatives or even Americans. He is speaking for ALL free people. In the history of the world it is tyranny, not liberty, that is the rule. War is ugly, tragic, appalling and filled with bad choices and the lesser-of-two-evils choices. But you are wrong U2popmofo, there is a profound, moral difference between those that use force for liberation and those that use force for conquest.