Walmart Employee Trampled to Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigjohn2441

Refugee
Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

kinda disturbing that today people would care more about saving a couple bucks on some shitty chinese products quicker than someone else, rather than the human being they are stepping over to get to it.

indeed it's a sick, sick society we've become. and im only 23. is it okay for me to be so cynical? :lol:

For once I agree with Slipknot
i never thought i'd hear someone say that. it is unbelievable that it happened. i mean, i'd stop to help the guy but i don't think that makes me some great person, it just makes me a person. i just can't believe the customers did that. and i can't believe the store didn't plan things out better. i mean with that frenzy i don't really know what could have been done, but i don't know.

oh well thats good people were more focused on getting it on film to probably put on youtube than trying to help, call 911, etc

I thought I heard that the front door(s) had been unhinged prior to the store opening, and that WalMart didn't have proper security on hand. Yes, lawsuit indeed. But watching the story on the news just makes me so mad at human beings for being so awful. Mad & sad :sad: How can people be like this? I just don't understand...

^it's all part of the "dumbing down of america". care less about fellow man and more about the shiny things you can buy and all the wonderful shows on TV you can watch and all the cool things you can do with your cell phone :rant:

Didn't this happen at 5 am?

These people were waiting in line over night in the cold for 10- 12 hours.

Why? To get a $2000. flat panel T V for $500? and the store only had 10 at that price. Also, 10? $1500 laptops for $300 or something. not to mention Wiis and Xboxes.

I am not surprised the crowd was amped up at the 5 am gate opening.
This is set up like a horse race with gun going off and a mad race for limited prizes.

3 people would have been trampled just as easy as one.

This is sad, but I don't think it's something shocking. Nor do I think it's a huge statement about American culture.

This is sad, but I don't think it's something shocking. Nor do I think it's a huge statement about American culture.

I agree. :up:

Walmart is largely to blame for this with their inadequate security. Maybe this incident can more greatly expose Walmart's despicable security practices.:mad:
Oh yeah, all those assholes who knocked down the door and trampled the guy are to blame too. :angry: But, in their world, buying useless shit at Walmart is very important. :down:

Items on sale at Wal-Mart included:

a Samsung 50-inch Plasma HDTV for $798,

a Bissel Compact Upright Vacuum for $28,

a Samsung 10.2 megapixel digital camera for $69

DVDs such as "The Incredible Hulk" for $9,

and a Christmas story one can tell for a life time.

I agree. :up:

Walmart is largely to blame for this with their inadequate security.

Definitely. I was out yesterday and today, and really it was not any busier than a normal Saturday. Yesterday I went to the mall at 6am. All told I was gone an hour, including my travel and wandering around a bit. I got what I wanted easily without having to deal with massive crowds or lines. Today we had to go out and get some stuff we needed, not Christmas stuff, and it was perfectly manageable. I was surprised at how close we parked. Honestly it was LESS busy than many Saturdays. I have gone to the mall on Black Friday before and it hasn't been that bad.

Incidents like this are very disturbing but it seems to be a Walmart/Best Buy/Circuit City kind of thing, at least around here. Definitely not representative of the norm. A few people told me they went to these stores later in the day and still found their deals on tables. Maybe it's slower this year b/c of the economy. I went out and I enjoyed it, but I kinda enjoy being part of a crowd and I was mainly shopping for myself knowing I would get deals on the things I needed if I waited until this weekend.

indeed it's a sick, sick society we've become. and im only 23. is it okay for me to be so cynical? :lol:

It's SOMETIMES a sick society that we live in here in the USA, let's not forget all the good people & kindnesses that are done everyday.

Absolutely ridiculous and pathetic! For once I agree with Slipknot... People = Shit

SOME people = are shit
(and even some of them on rare occasion do something good, which doesn't necessarily cancel out the bad)

:sad: This happened 20 minutes from where I live....It is unbelievable, disgusting and animalistic....what is this world coming to.

* see above posts, and :hug::hug::hug:

I still find it shocking, but I'm glad you're not indicting the whole country!

More security would cut into their profits.
:tsk:

:eek:
We can't have that, now, can we?!

I do have my cynical side, big john. :wink:

This is sad, but I don't think it's something shocking.

nothing shocking :yawn:

amd_damour.jpg

I think it has happened at other stores, I don't think it's just Wal Mart. Deaths no, but tramplings and unruly behavior, yes. The news reports said that people also became irate when told that the store was closing due to a man being trampled to death due to some of those very same people.

It's really nothing new to see people value material things over human life and themselves and their wants over other human beings, this is an extreme example and that's what makes it so disturbing.

I went shopping Saturday and the couple of things I was looking for were already gone. I got some other deals though. I couldn't help thinking about that man losing his life, I even talked about it with a store clerk who was telling me how bad it was Friday. I think they should just get rid of that whole Black Friday thing and have better prices spread out over the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Both sides are to blame, the stores and consumers.

NEW YORK (Reuters) – The family of a man killed in a stampede of frenzied holiday shoppers filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Wal-Mart Stores Inc on Wednesday seeking unspecified damages.

Shoppers on New York's Long Island broke down doors and surged into the Valley Stream Wal-Mart at 5 a.m. on November 28, the day after Thanksgiving, known as "Black Friday," traditionally the busiest retail shopping day of the year.

Jdimytai Damour, 34, was knocked to the ground and trampled to death. He had been assigned to cover security as an independent contractor.

Damour's death was caused by "the carelessness, reckless negligence, wanton disregard for public safety and gross negligence" in the "staging, conducting and advertising for sales events," said the lawsuit, filed in Bronx Supreme Court.

The lawsuit also names the shopping mall where the incident occurred and the security company employed by Wal-Mart.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman had no immediate comment. On Friday, the retailer said it was saddened by the incident.

New York's largest grocery workers union has urged authorities to investigate what it called "Wal-Mart's failure to provide a safe workplace."

Wal-Mart said it provided additional internal security and employees and third party security and worked closely with police to prepare for "Black Friday."

NEW YORK (Reuters) – The family of a man killed in a stampede of frenzied holiday shoppers filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Wal-Mart Stores Inc on Wednesday seeking unspecified damages.

Shoppers on New York's Long Island broke down doors and surged into the Valley Stream Wal-Mart at 5 a.m. on November 28, the day after Thanksgiving, known as "Black Friday," traditionally the busiest retail shopping day of the year.

Jdimytai Damour, 34, was knocked to the ground and trampled to death. He had been assigned to cover security as an independent contractor.

Damour's death was caused by "the carelessness, reckless negligence, wanton disregard for public safety and gross negligence" in the "staging, conducting and advertising for sales events," said the lawsuit, filed in Bronx Supreme Court.

The lawsuit also names the shopping mall where the incident occurred and the security company employed by Wal-Mart.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman had no immediate comment. On Friday, the retailer said it was saddened by the incident.

New York's largest grocery workers union has urged authorities to investigate what it called "Wal-Mart's failure to provide a safe workplace."

Wal-Mart said it provided additional internal security and employees and third party security and worked closely with police to prepare for "Black Friday."

My prayers for family and friends.

I agree with their lawsuit.

The death of this man could have been avoided.

Wal-Mart To Pay $2M to Avoid Charges In Trampling

by The Associated Press

May 6, 2009 · Wal-Mart agreed Wednesday to pay nearly $2 million and improve safety at its 92 New York stores as part of a deal with prosecutors that avoids criminal charges in the trampling death of a temporary worker.

Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice, who began a criminal investigation shortly after last November's customer stampede at Wal-Mart's Valley Stream store, said that if she had brought criminal charges against the retailer in the worker's death, the company would have been subject to only a $10,000 fine if convicted. Rice declined to say what charges were considered against Wal-Mart, citing the secrecy of grand jury proceedings.

Instead, she said, the company has agreed to implement an improved crowd-management plan for post-Thanksgiving Day sales, set up a $400,000 victims' compensation and remuneration fund, and give a $1.5 million grant to Nassau County social services programs and nonprofit groups.

The agreement included no admission of guilt by Wal-Mart.

"Rather than bringing the world's largest retailer to court and imposing a small fine against them, I felt it was important to require significant safety changes that will affect the whole state," Rice said. "Our goal is for the protocols that are set up to be the gold standard for crowd management in this industry."

Wal-Mart Vice President Hank Mullany said, "The crowd management plan we are announcing today was developed by a team of experts whose experience includes NFL Super Bowls, Olympic games, concerts and national political conventions."

Jdimytai Damour, a temporary employee, had been on the job for about a week and had no training in security or crowd control when a crowd estimated at 2,000 broke down the Valley Stream store's doors, trapping him in a vestibule.

Built like an NFL linebacker at 6-foot-5 and 270 pounds, the 34-year-old Queens man died of asphyxiation. Eleven others, including a pregnant woman, were injured.

Earlier this year, Damour's family announced plans to sue the county, retailer and others. The family's attorney did not immediately comment on Wednesday's announcement.

Any victims who accept payment from the Wal-Mart compensation fund will be required to waive their right to a separate civil suit against Wal-Mart, Rice said. Also, she said, Wal-Mart has agreed to advertise the compensation fund in the daily and weekly newspapers that cover Valley Stream and its surrounding neighborhoods.

"Facilitating the compensation is one of the main goals of this settlement," she said.

The company also agreed to an independent review of its procedures for post-Thanksgiving Day sales. The prosecutor said her office will oversee compliance.

"We are hoping that this safety plan becomes the nationally recognized model for crowd management among all retailers and becomes an industrywide best practice," she said.

The community grant money includes $1.2 million for Nassau County's Youth Board, which helps nonprofit agencies provide career development, employment training and other opportunities. The retailer also will donate $300,000 to the United Way of Long Island's Youth Build Program in Nassau County. The deal also calls for Wal-Mart to hire 50 high school students annually to work in its five stores in the county.

Wal-Mart didn't fail? I agree that society fails because of excessive materialism, but Wal-Mart is to blame as well. Starting with hiring the poor guy who died because he had no experience in crowd control or security. You don't just have a black Friday sale and have little or no planning/a free for all.

Back
Top Bottom