love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:55 PM
Video from Dublin clashes 3rd Nov 2010

YouTube - Merrion Row Clashes - Dublin November 3rd 2010 HD

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...in-Dublin.html

Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:55 AM
I have a friend in Dublin on vacation right now, and he mentioned getting caught up in some protest while trying to get from one place to the other.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

An effective and controlled response from the police, those missile throwing agent provocateurs are lucky they were not facing the French CRS; the hospitals would be full today.

I feel sorry for those that went to Dublin to protest peacefully, but the far left infiltrators in the march have perfected the art of hiding in crowds and starting civil unrest.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Financeguy, I don't mean to sound ignorant. But, what are they protesting for or against?

Thanks in advance. We don't get every bit of news on this side of the Atlantic.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Financeguy, I don't mean to sound ignorant. But, what are they protesting for or against?

Thanks in advance. We don't get every bit of news on this side of the Atlantic.
A stor, they are protesting about fees.

However, if you want some insight into the Irish economic crisis at a broader level, then I recommend you read Morgan Kelly's article:

If you thought the bank bailout was bad, wait until the mortgage defaults hit home - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 08, 2010
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:55 AM
No matter what the protest is over, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, I fully agree, any violent activity is obnoxious and not warranted. You can be as angry as you wish, but you don't have the right to endanger people around you. Any worthy complaints you may have lose any shot of being taken seriously once you cross that line.

That article from financeguy made my head hurt. I'm not even close to being a financial whiz, but I look at that article and it just floors me how so many people on so many levels could, pardon my language, fuck money-related things up THIS badly. Times like these I'm glad to be an enormously small spender.

It'll be quite interesting to see if Ireland does indeed adopt its own version of the Tea Party. I don't know whether to find it comforting or disturbing to realize that most, if not all, of the world is in the same boat right now.

Angela
Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Refugee

Thank you Financeguy. Some of the young folks were getting hurt. Especially the one lad who was beaten in the face. Is there a law in Ireland granting the Right to Assembly? We have that State side, which does grant the right to peacful protest with a permit of course.

We also have so many different colleges and universities that actually compete with each other in regards to tuition fees. So, we shop around for the best deal when it comes to getting that degree or certificate program. Plus, there is financial aid.

And I agree, Angela. Things are getting tough, everywhere. I thought at first the economic melt down would stay limited to the States but Europe is in just as bad of a situation as we are. Probably worst by now.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
No matter what the protest is over, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, I fully agree, any violent activity is obnoxious and not warranted. You can be as angry as you wish, but you don't have the right to endanger people around you. Any worthy complaints you may have lose any shot of being taken seriously once you cross that line.

That article from financeguy made my head hurt. I'm not even close to being a financial whiz, but I look at that article and it just floors me how so many people on so many levels could, pardon my language, fuck money-related things up THIS badly. Times like these I'm glad to be an enormously small spender.

It'll be quite interesting to see if Ireland does indeed adopt its own version of the Tea Party. I don't know whether to find it comforting or disturbing to realize that most, if not all, of the world is in the same boat right now.

Angela
I agree 100%.

Six years ago, friends of mine sold their townhome, which they still owed on, cashed in the bonds, life insurance, retirement accounts and purchased a huge custom built home. Their house is now worth $100,000 less than what they paid it. They can't sell it. They would not even make enough of a down payment for a townhouse.

I own my townhome. It's an old brick one, built in 1944. No house payments just yearly property taxes and home owner's insurance. Sure, my home could use some nice cosmetic updates. But, at this point we can't afford it. Everything is so expensive. Including food. We live paycheck to paycheck. But other than living expenses and payments for one car. We have no debt.

It confuses me to no end, how these banks, powers that be. Can't manage money at all. They continue to borrow, beg and steal like there is no tomorrow. Someone has to pay the bill and it will be us taxpayers. I can understand why so many people are angry. Not all of us are in debt. Millions of us do live according to our means and it really isn't fair that we will have to pay for this. It is hurting the hard working class most of all. We're the first to lose our jobs and we didn't purchase things or take out loans. We could never pay back. Governments need to let us put their financial house in order. We have more common sense.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 06:55 AM
wow.

I just read about this protest in London
STUDENT TUITION FEES PROTEST: Rioters hijack middle class march | Mail Online
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
Refugee

Thanks Velvet Dress. I saw that this evening on BBC America News.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
the far left infiltrators in the march have perfected the art of hiding in crowds and starting civil unrest.
often those "far left infiltrators" are undercover plainclothes police who are paid to spark unrest as to give police a reason to beat up protestors. also the extreme leftists can be provoking, agreed. but one thing is clear, it has often been proved that indeed the ones who provoked the violence were paid police agents.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
often those "far left infiltrators" are undercover plainclothes police who are paid to spark unrest as to give police a reason to beat up protestors. also the extreme leftists can be provoking, agreed. but one thing is clear, it has often been proved that indeed the ones who provoked the violence were paid police agents.
can you post this proof?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Don't know about that case, but in general there've been numerous cases throughout Europe where plainclothes police officers were found to be instigators. But without evidence, it cannot be told here.
Here in Berlin, if it's too boring riot police sometimes start beating people up themselves. Even in times where they can be sure to be filmed. Luckily, the last incidences could be filmed and officials didn't have a choice but prosecuting the identified officers.
When it comes to demonstrations, police is less and less your friend here, and that's quite a shame.
But at least in Germany, next to the so-called 'black block', a group of extreme leftists whose main concern is a good beating, and civil police seeking to spice things up a little, there's also the movement of the so-called 'national autonomous'. These are neo-Nazis who clothe indistinguishable to leftists and also act as instigators, so that the blame falls upon the left.
In the end, when a demonstration turns violent here you cannot say who in fact started it in the end.
Most demonstrations, save for the May 1 demonstrations, are very peacefully though. But every blockade or other form of civil disobedience is being answered with growing use of force, which involves tear gas, watercannons, batons etc. On the other hand, especially in the case of Nazi demonstrations, politicians etc. tell you to do anything in your power to stop these marches and show that you do not tolerate them, but don't you think for a second that police will support you in that.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

^ Yep, and IIRC with regard there was also evidence from Genoa a few years back.

Having said that, in Ireland, I don't think this type of infiltration is so much of a feature. Because of our history, the police are very careful and proportionate with regard to exercising force and generally don't wish to exercise it. The last time the police shot someone in Ireland, there was a massive tribunal and investigation which went on for years - similar incidents happen in the US all the time, and it's just treated as another day's work.

About the Neo-nazis, though, I am not sure if banning their marches achieves the desired result. There is the danger that it wins them more converts.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:55 AM
wow. i didn't really doubt it, but i was kinda hoping it wasn't true.