Victorian bushfires and heatwave thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I just read that there are fears up to 100 may be dead in Marysville. Out of a population of a little more than 500. Whole families just gone. Hard to even fathom.

link

Speaking of wildlife, this is one of the most simultaneously adorable and depressing photos ever:

s320x240

And here's an update on Sam the koala (who's a girl). link

"I could see she had sore feet and was in trouble, so I pulled over the fire truck. She just plonked herself down, as if to say 'I'm beat'," he said.

"I offered her a drink and she drank three bottles.

"The most amazing part was when she grabbed my hand. I will never forget that."

:heart:

I have no words, and I can't relate to this in any way, shape, or form. All I can say is that my thoughts and prayers go out to those suffering through this disaster.

Good God, does this make you grateful for rain. I remember Axver showing me pictures of Melbourne months ago, and being horrified by how bone dry it was.

Canadian songwriter Leonard Cohen, who's touring Australia, has donated $200,000 to bush fire victims. Even though he's had money problems in the past it didn't stop him from donating.

Yet no word if the Canadian government has decided to help in some way. Canada is a world superpower in forest fire suppression but the only thing they've done is expressed Canada’s sympathies to those affected by the bushfires. Even our own shared Queen has made a private donation to a special fund. I'm just pissed off Canada isn't doing more to help our cousin and ally, especially when it's concerning something we are experts in.

Some People Saw The Fires Coming

This devout man shouldn't pollute the other thread
The Catch the Fire Ministries has tried to blame the bushfires disaster on laws decriminalising abortion in Victoria.

The Pentecostal church's leader, Pastor Danny Nalliah, claimed he had a dream about raging fires on October 21 last year and that he woke with "a flash from the Spirit of God: that His conditional protection has been removed from the nation of Australia, in particular Victoria, for approving the slaughter of innocent children in the womb".

The former Treasurer, Peter Costello, who sent a video message to an Australia Day prayer meeting organised by Pastor Nalliah this year, was outraged by his remarks on the fires.

"To link the death and suffering of bushfire victims to other political events is appalling, heartless and wrong,'' said Mr Costello, who has lost a Christian friend in the fires.

"Those who have suffered deserve ever support and sympathy. It is beyond the bounds of decency to try to make moral or politcal points out of such a tragedy.''

Pastor Nalliah said he was helping to co-ordinate fire relief, including providing trucks to distribute clothes and food and giving his own blood, but he said he must tell "the truth".

Asked by the Herald if he did not believe most Australians would regard his remarks as being in appallingly bad taste, he said today: "I must tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear."

He said it was no use "molly-coddling" Australians.

Asked if he believed in a God who would take vengeance by killing so many people indiscriminately - even those who opposed abortion, Mr Nalliah referred to 2 Chronicles 7:14 to vouch for his assertion that God could withdraw his protection from a nation.

"The Bible is very clear," he said. "If you walk out of God's protection and turn your back on Him, you are an open target for the devil to destroy."

In the New King James version of the Bible, 2 Chronicles 7:14 states that: "If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

He quoted a headline describing the fires as "The Darkest hour for Victoria". "A few months ago the news media should have reported `the darkest hour for the unborn', but unfortunately the `Decriminalisation of Abortion bill' went through parliament and was passed, thus making many people call Victoria `the baby killing state of Australia,' " Mr Nalliah said.

Pastor Nalliah said there may be criticism. But he said he did not send out his media statement thoughtlessly. "We spend two days working on it."

He had previously said drought and the world financial crisis could be partly blamed on human sin.
Pastor's abortion dream inflames bushfire tragedy | smh.com.au

I can't wait until something happens after the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.

different country, same people.

you'd think Sydney would have learned when God made such an example out of New Orleans.

i predict a tsunami. or maybe the great white sharks will swim on land and eat people on the sidewalks.

you never can tell what will happen when we piss off God with our fuckin' and abortin'.

Give me a friggin' break. I'm so sick of hearing about religious fanatics preaching all these twisted things. If their views are so screwed up, they should just keep it to themselves.

Give me a friggin' break. I'm so sick of hearing about religious fanatics preaching all these twisted things. If their views are so screwed up, they should just keep it to themselves.

Or, you know, if they have such advance notice, try to help people. Kind of like what God asked Jonah to do.

I pity the God that is such a weakling and such a diva and such an intolerant bastard.

Just saw two movies about Sophie Scholl and if I were to believe in God it would be one after her example.

Speaking of wildlife, this is one of the most simultaneously adorable and depressing photos ever:

s320x240

This photo has travelled the world apparently. It's truly amazing, so is the firefighter's words, remember koalas aren't known for being docile creatures.

I haven't cried, or anything, but when I read these stories and see these pictures in the paper when I come from work each day it just really makes you move. You can't imagine anything much worse than this.

I'm with Sicy too, it's hard seeing the animals. I'm thinking that's some of my money might go to.

Here's hoping our government puts aside any crap and just dishes out this $950 bonus to the appeal.

Really puts the financial crisis etc into perspective...

:sigh: thanks for the :hugs: aand thoughts from everyone,
its day 5 and the fires are still going in some areas, and if one joins up the water and gas supplies for melbourne are under threat as the gas plant and 2 water catchments are up there. then the shit will really hit the fan .

WOW i just saw a story on the news of a woman who survived because she dived into a womabt hole in the ground.

i saw another man on the news whos house was gone, but his mail box was untouched, his newspaper still beside it wrapped in plastic, mail in the mailbox untouched- a phone bill in there ! he said "im not paying that !" i had to laugh because it is literally so absurd that could happen, or a house can be gone but a clothesline can be left standing with clothes intact on the line.

Gave a big hug to a girlfirend today who was up fighting the fires near her property and home town , she only just escapede by running like hell squirting water over herself from her back pack . then they were in the firetanker covered with wet blankets as it went overthe top. she is going back next weekend to do it again. god i hope she stays safe.

I repeat: fuck off.

This thread is no place for you to try to prove some dumbarse FYM point. Take it elsewhere. Start your own goddamned thread and keep your tacky posturing out of this one while those of us who actually fucking live here try to come to terms with the enormity of what happened. People I know have lost friends and family. I could get to Kinglake in under an hour. Wineries I know well in the Yarra Valley have been destroyed. I don't give a shit about your "logic and rationality" bollocks.

As if I or any other ordinary members of the community are going to breach the roadblocks to take photos of arsonists anyway, and if the firefighters and police happen to have such imagery, that's obviously going to criminal investigations. They obviously have evidence and can identify arson when it happens. For god's sake, don't be dense.

seeing the footage of it is even more incredible. i got an email today with photos of lots of koalas and other animals in rehab, the people in those animal welfare centres are painstakingly cleaning their poor little paws and claws and bandaging them and caring for them 24/7 at the moment, they are wonderful people. :up:

That little koala must have been so desperate for water. They don't usually drink it, getting enough from gum leaves. I heard today that there has been around $50million raised so far, but that still only equates to roughly $50k per person directly affected. David Jones are donating all their takings/profits (not sure which) of today's or tomorrow's trade, which is 37 shops. Coles and Woolies are doing similar.

:sad: That place looked beautiful. So sad. :sad:

s320x240

The video of this koala bear made me cry when i first saw it. :sad: Amazing bit of hope. :heart:

I tried to buy the pic of the koala and the firefighter on the Herald suns website to support the appeal but i can't seem to get the shop to work for some reason. Hopefully because a lot of other people are trying to buy things aswell. :heart:

Oh my goodness... nothing tugs at my heart strings more than animals in trouble. :sad :

I'm the same. :heart:

:sigh : thanks for the :hugs: aand thoughts from everyone,
its day 5 and the fires are still going in some areas, and if one joins up the water and gas supplies for melbourne are under threat as the gas plant and 2 water catchments are up there. then the shit will really hit the fan .

WOW i just saw a story on the news of a woman who survived because she dived into a womabt hole in the ground.

i saw another man on the news whos house was gone, but his mail box was untouched, his newspaper still beside it wrapped in plastic, mail in the mailbox untouched- a phone bill in there ! he said "im not paying that !" i had to laugh because it is literally so absurd that could happen, or a house can be gone but a clothesline can be left standing with clothes intact on the line.

Gave a big hug to a girlfirend today who was up fighting the fires near her property and home town , she only just escapede by running like hell squirting water over herself from her back pack . then they were in the firetanker covered with wet blankets as it went overthe top. she is going back next weekend to do it again. god i hope she stays safe.

Wow your friend is very brave. :hug: I hope she stays safe aswell. :hug:

I read the story of the lady who sheltered in the wombat burrow. Amazing and lucky.

Regarding the mail box it is absolutely crazy what survives things. I remember a story of a post box from the Victorian era surviving the IRA bomb in Manchester years ago.

Am thinking of all those in Australia/with family around the area. Its frightening that fire can travel this fast. Stay safe everyone. :hug::heart:

That little koala must have been so desperate for water. They don't usually drink it, getting enough from gum leaves. I heard today that there has been around $50million raised so far, but that still only equates to roughly $50k per person directly affected. David Jones are donating all their takings/profits (not sure which) of today's or tomorrow's trade, which is 37 shops. Coles and Woolies are doing similar.

I know, after the heat from something like that it must have been so glad for the liquid/hydration. I didn't know they didn't drink water. I guess us English folk don't know these things. glad to know she is being cared for and the other animals found. I'm sure the amount raised will rise over the next week or so. I think my order for the picture of the koala went through at last. :) :up::heart:

ETA: Payment was accepted for the picture. :)

The Koala photo is quite moving, but such compassion towards animals isn't as universal as it should be. Last week a few scumbags from Qld burnt set fire to some puppies.! :sad::mad:

Hi guys,

I posted a few days ago about how it feels here in Melbourne and the sense of guilt some of us naturally feel for not being able to do much.

Today I learnt of a story which I really feel the need to get off my chest...

A couple of months ago an old friend from primary school found me on facebook. There were only 4 boys in my class, out of 20 students. My friend, Jaeson was the smartest kid in the class and he was a really good person. He was our school captain and really enjoyed sport and always wore a smile.

Having such few guys at school we got bored easily. Although we were all friends our stupid adolescence caused us to do some silly things to each other. We thought it was cool to start fights and I remember vividly a particular day when Jaeson and I were supposed to fight and he didn't want to in the boys toilet block. I reluctantly... but stupidly and very regretfully punched him in the face. It wasn't hard, as I didn't want to, but stupidly did, but as soon as i did it my heart ached and I felt like shit. Immediately I apologised to him and he forgave me and I tried to console him, help, hug, whatever I could do. He didn't seem to care. After all we were friends....

A few months ago he found me on facebook and we shared a few messages. His first message was, "Do you still hate Sean Finnin the faggot" or something along those lines, one of the 4 boys that none of us really got along with.

Reading this affected me in two ways. One was that I thought that Jaeson probably thought I was some monster child in primary school (understandably). Second was the way he had written it. It was so unlike his nature to write like that. I replied to him that HATE was a really strong word, and I definitely didn't have any bad feelings towards a person I hadn't seen in over 10 years.

Eventually we shared phone numbers, and Jaeson began calling me regularly. It got to a point were it became really really annoying and I was finding ways of ignoring him. I made up stories about having exams on certain days and yada yada. I then found out through another old friend that he had lost his mother to cancer 4 years ago. This kind of explained his change in behaviour and new-found cynicism. I cant imagine what having dealt with losing such a loved one would do to me.

Eventually I thought I should meet with him. So we planned to meet at Melbourne Central for lunch one day. The morning of that day, he called me asking me to lend him some money for lunch. I was kind of reluctant but I said I'd be more than happy to shout him lunch and that he shouldn't worry about it. I went to Melbourne Central and waited for over an hour and he didn't show. Tried calling and couldn't get through to him.

I was pretty pissed off and eventually he called. He told me he got arrested for stealing two chocolate bars and a Big M (chocolate milk) and was taken to the city police station. They let him go with a warning. I couldn't understand the logic in what he had done, as he was meeting me for lunch that I was going to buy him. But I admit it crossed my mind that the phone call about borrowing money probably left him embarrassed so he went and did something stupid.

Anyway, after a few weeks of ignoring him again, another primary school friend and I decided to meet Jaeson as he wanted to organise a primary school 10 year reunion. We caught up with him in a nice little bar called St Gerome's during the day. We had a really good conversation about the silly things we got up to in school and a bit on what's happened over the passed few years.

Jaeson got me by surprise when he thanked me for "toughening" him up in life. I don't recall any of this, but he told me that I had taught him to stand up for himself and not to let people roll over you. I felt guilty, because I remembered punching him that day...

We tried to organise a reunion but no one could make it, and I honestly was under pressure with exams so we said we would organise it for another time. We never caught up again.

In yesterday's paper there is an article about Jaeson, his older sister and her boyfriend.

The three were housesitting for a friend in Yarra Glen. The fires caught them by surprise and they had no chance of escape. They called family to tell them they love them and tried to protect themselves with wet towels.

I just hope that Jaeson is in a better place now, hopefully with his mother.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. :( A disaster of these proportions can't help but hit close to home for many who live nearby, and that hits in the worst way possible. Peace to his surviving relatives and friends.

US firefighters headed to Australia infernos

By James Hagengruber
Christian Science Monitor, February 11

A team of 60 elite firefighters and land rehabilitation experts from the United States will be dispatched to Australia in coming days to help the country recover from its deadliest natural disaster on record.

With entire towns turned to ash by wildfires over the weekend and nearly two dozen fires still burning, Australia sent out a request Tuesday night for help from the US, says Randy Eardley, spokesman for the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho. Australia has asked for planning and logistics managers, burned land rehabilitation teams, and a 20-person “Hotshot” crew, which Mr. Eardley says are “the most highly trained firefighters we have.”

...President Obama has already phoned Australia’s prime minister to offer condolences. He might have to call again--new fires were believed to have been lit by arsonists Tuesday night and high winds later in the week are expected to inject fierce new energy to smoldering embers.

The firefighters from the US are expected to arrive in Australia over the weekend. Hotshot crews will be put to work trying to contain the fires while the rehabilitation experts will begin the urgent task of stabilizing fire-charred soils, including areas disturbed by the heavy equipment used in firefighting. After a forest or bushland is burned--especially in an intense, all-clearing fire--topsoils are at high risk of erosion, experts say. Post-fire landslides are common and can have devastating impacts on wildlife, fish, and even municipal water supplies.

...The US experts being sent to help with Australia’s recovery will have their wages and travel expenses paid by the Australian government, says Eardly, with the National Interagency Fire Center. The two countries commonly swap firefighters during times of need. “Their fire season tends to be during our off season, and vice versa,” Eardley says. “It’s logical we would turn to each other for assistance.”

Once firefighters arrive in Australia, they will be given at least two days of training, including a critical safety lesson: how to drive on the left side of the road. Grant Beebe, a firefighter crew boss from Boise who fought fires in Australia in 2003, said both countries use the same organizational structure of managing large-scale firefighting efforts. Apart from driving, the other major difference US firefighters will face is fire fuel type, Beebe said, in a 2007 interview. In Australia, the forests are made up of species of eucalyptus trees. Each species burns a bit differently, especially in comparison to the evergreen trees of the American West. One type of eucalyptus has bark that can send burning embers upwards of 20 miles from the fireline, Beebe said.

Beebe said fighting fires in Australia was a memorable experience. “I hate to say we had a good time, but I can’t think of another word,” he said, describing his time there in 2003. “They were incredibly appreciative of us coming over. We were treated absolutely first class…. The Australians are incredible. They’ve got a great attitude. They’re in dire circumstances, but they’ve got a great chin-up attitude.”

Oh stratocaster, that's so sad. I read about those kids...so very sad. :(

jesus stratocaster. im so sorry to hear that . :sad:

the stories comming out of this tragedy are still amazing me .
the death toll hasnt been updated for 2 days.

there were reports that two men were captured for suspicious behaviour in the fire areas.

i am finally a little bit less depressed today , some of the aussie posse may know i have been really down this week with all that has been happening and quite affected by all that , but i finally made contact with some people i directly wanted to help-

i was terribly concerned that there were families with children who have special needs affected by the fires. this is something that resonated deeply with me as i have an autistic child of my own and have worked in the disability industry for 11 years.
i was just so anxious and emotional to think that there were children that had lost everything that makes there world tolerable out there. they would be suffering more than the regular children as their routines rituals and speical things are gone from their day. they also may have lost specialist equipment .

i finally made contact with someone from the diamond creek special school who have 4 families who have lost everything.
i have emailed my contacts in the disability industry to get things moving and i hope to raise some money to donate to them directly. i hope to organise some members of the belly dance community in geelong if i can to do something special too.

i was trying to pin down why i was so depressed by this tragedy, other than the obvious losses of life and what it has done to these people, i think i am fucking

FURIOUS with what it has done to this state. i have lived in Victoria my whole life, and i am passionate about the issues that occur here. it is a beautiful part of the world. and to think people deliberately caused something that has blackened so much of the state, killed so many, WIPED FUCKING TOWNS OFF THE MAP, threatening power, water and gas for everyone , killed so much livestock and native animals , it goes on and on for christs sake.

on the other hand it has moved the state as one, moved the whole country to open up and give so much, and so many people are working tirelessly to help, it is amazing.

i am even proud of our politicians and leaders , they really have stepped up and been there personally and politically to do all they can .

/end rant ...
for now i think

Back
Top Bottom