Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
That's pretty key for the guys who fly drones from bases.
I'm not sure if it's been changed yet or not, but I know there's been a push for this. You're right, these soldiers wouldn't have qualified before, but you also have to remember this is a fairly new role in the military. So the definition is actually broadening as we speak, and not the other way around. But like everything else when it comes to behavioral science I think we're careful not to broaden definitions too far or too fast. Terms like disorder or syndrome are being defined too loosely in certain areas of civilian medicine, which is allowing for a whole generation to be medicated, so I think that's why there are sometimes what seems like slow moves in these areas.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
It has to do with experiencing a direct threat to one's own personal safety. So that if you witnessed an atrocity but were not yourself in physical danger, it might not count.
The DSM-IV criteria do not require that the person experiences a threat to self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM-IV-TR
1. The person has experienced, witnessed, or been confronted with an event or events that involve actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of oneself or others.

2. The person's response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror. Note: in children, it may be expressed instead by disorganized or agitated behavior.
I have not seen the updated DSM-5 criteria, which were published just last month.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:07 PM
I also see no difference in the trauma experienced by a drone pilot and a conventional aircraft pilot firing a laser guided maverick from 20 kms out
Old 06-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 05:07 PM
Here's the wording in DSM-5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM-5
A. Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence in one (or more) of the following ways:

1. Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s).
2. Witnessing, in person, the event(s) as it occurred to others.
3. Learning that the traumatic event(s) occurred to a close family member or close friend. In cases of actual or threatened death of a family member or friend, the event(s) must have been violent or accidental.
4. Experiencing repeated or extreme exposure to aversive details of the the traumatic event(s) (e.g. first responders collecting human remains; police officers repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse).

Note: Criterion A4 does not apply to exposure through electronic media, television, movies, or pictures, unless this exposure is work related.
Sounds like this new definition would still apply to the drone pilots as well.