US Unemployment Map Clip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my county was in the 7-9.9% range. i'm surprised it wasn't in the 10% or over, really. though according to the government, it is. 10.2%. and i'm part of that statistic! :yippie:

After you click on the map, you see the Left Coast go totally dark.

Go figure.

Hows that "hope and change" working out for you folks?

<>

But John McCain is known as The Maverick.

sarah-palin-katie-couric-interview-big.jpg

yes, i'd love to know how mccain would've given me a job. i'd love to know what kind of magic he would've worked to completely reverse the recession and unemployment in exactly 12 months.

Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran. And Lockheed Martin would be happy to employ YOU!

^ im suprised nobody associated the black color (10% or higher) speading across the country with obama yet :lol:

Unemployment by state, from today's NYT (data from Moody's & the Bureau of Labor Statistics).

nytunempmap.png

The once-booming South, which entered the recession with the lowest unemployment rate in the nation, is now struggling with some of the highest rates, recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics show. Several Southern states—including South Carolina, whose 11.1% unemployment rate is the fourth highest in the nation—have higher unemployment rates than they did a year ago. Unemployment in the South is now higher than it is in the Northeast and the Midwest, which include Rust Belt states that were struggling even before the recession.
The West has the highest unemployment in the nation. The collapse of the housing bubble left Nevada with the highest jobless rate, 13.4%, followed by California with 12.1%. Michigan has the third-highest rate, 11.2%, as a result of the longstanding woes of the American auto industry. Now, though, of the states with the 10 highest unemployment rates, six are in the South. The region, which relied heavily on manufacturing and construction, was hit hard by the downturn.
In a sign of how severe the downturn has been, the Brookings analysis found that only 16 of the nation’s 100 largest metropolitan areas have regained more than half of the jobs they lost during the recession.

The toll on the nation’s millions of unemployed people has been harsh, with the Census Bureau reporting that the United States had more people living in poverty last year than in any year since it began keeping records half a century ago. Joblessness is taking a toll on states, too. This month, 27 states will have to pay $1.2 billion to the federal government in interest on the $37.5 billion that they borrowed in recent years to keep paying unemployment benefits.

I'd wager that a lot of those southern states had significant real estate bubbles with over-employment in construction and ancillary.

It all comes back to the real estate bubble.

Back
Top Bottom