US Politics XIV: Vote for Pedro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, with good education and opportunity, anyone can become successful.

And that's part of the problem. Education has become too expensive to sustain, and the pay scaling between your entry level and middle and even low upper management employees is at an obscene level. Toss in an affordable housing crisis and many local governments being crushed by the weight of Boomer pensions and you have a recipe for future disaster.

Even those who are doing well and making low 6 figures? They're two steps away from CEOs making 8 figures. This is absolutely obscene and is not sustainable.
Low six figures with the student loans I racked up to get there has managed to get me a one bedroom apartment in the valley, so.. Yay?

Low six figures with the student loans I racked up to get there has managed to get me a one bedroom apartment in the valley, so.. Yay?

People generally tend to conflate income with wealth but the two are separate things. It's possible to have a relatively high income and zero wealth (due to student loans, other debt, living in an extremely high cost area, having an atypically large family, etc).

Stop you’re going to make gzus cry
I missed his post the first time, about all of us having more money than middle America.

L.
O.
L.

My sister doesn't make nearly as much as I do, but she's educated, lives in the Midwest and went to public college. She has her own house, three kids (who are in all kinds of activities) and two cars. There's a HUGE range of what having money really means.

My sister doesn't make nearly as much as I do, but she's educated, lives in the Midwest and went to public college. She has her own house, three kids (who are in all kinds of activities) and two cars. There's a HUGE range of what having money really means.

On a purely financial level, many people live in areas where they do not need to live. They could have way better lives moving to a lower cost area. For example, 2 married teachers do not need to live where an average house costs $1.6M, their professions are totally mobile.

But there are lots of people tied to jobs that are less mobile. Both my husband and I are very specialized professionals and nobody needs us in a small town. Then you also have people who depend on family for support (like watching their kids, etc) who are stuck in high cost areas.

On a purely financial level, many people live in areas where they do not need to live. They could have way better lives moving to a lower cost area. For example, 2 married teachers do not need to live where an average house costs $1.6M, their professions are totally mobile.

But there are lots of people tied to jobs that are less mobile. Both my husband and I are very specialized professionals and nobody needs us in a small town. Then you also have people who depend on family for support (like watching their kids, etc) who are stuck in high cost areas.
Oh hello there, my life.

yeah i'm pretty much stuck in toronto (or new york, maybe) if i want to stay with my career long-term because i work for a fintech company and we need to be physically close to the financial industry. which means owning a house and a car is completely out of the question as there's no space to park a car in my building or on the street, and even just saving up for a downpayment for a shoebox 1-br condo (which would be a major downgrade to our quality of living) is a completely unrealistic goal unless we get some sort of lucky financial windfall.

kristin and i want to have a kid eventually but there's no chance in hell we'll ever be able to have one in toronto - daycare alone costs more here per month for one kid than our rent on a nice apartment just west of downtown (our friends recently booked a daycare spot for their daughter - $2300/month). we'd also need to find a larger apartment if we had a child, which means that just to provide the basics for one kid we'd need to be making more than double what we make now, and we're already both earning almost 50% more than the average salary in toronto. i refuse to be one of those people that moves out to a subdivision in oakville and spends three hours every single day on a train. that's not the kind of life i want and i would be absolutely miserable.

so for now things are pretty great, but eventually i know a reckoning is coming. either we'll have to move away from toronto and probably back to the east coast (and i'll have to find a whole new career) if we want a kid, or we decide not to have children and live as DINKs in the city we really want to be in. i have no idea what we're going to do but unless we get really really lucky we'll likely never be able to have a family here, which really sucks because we would both love to raise a kid in the big city.

:shrug:

We live in the west end of Toronto (Bloor-Royal York-ish). Used to live in Little Italy before we had kids but the parking situation drove us crazy. Literally circling forever to find a spot.

I am lucky to be just older enough than you (I think) that we got into the housing market at a more reasonable point. That's really been the major determinant of how financially stable people can be in this city.

I missed his post the first time, about all of us having more money than middle America.

L.
O.
L.

But you’re a lazy no good leach on the white man’s overtaxed wallet with your lack of desire to work and your food stamps and don’t you forget it.

But in all seriousness, much to the dismay of gzus himself, government subsidy is not just a demand by lazy people. It is a way of lifting the floor to a certain basic standard, and people who have good morals wish to have a certain basic standard, regardless of their income.

yeah i'm pretty much stuck in toronto (or new york, maybe) if i want to stay with my career long-term because i work for a fintech company and we need to be physically close to the financial industry. which means owning a house and a car is completely out of the question as there's no space to park a car in my building or on the street, and even just saving up for a downpayment for a shoebox 1-br condo (which would be a major downgrade to our quality of living) is a completely unrealistic goal unless we get some sort of lucky financial windfall.

kristin and i want to have a kid eventually but there's no chance in hell we'll ever be able to have one in toronto - daycare alone costs more here per month for one kid than our rent on a nice apartment just west of downtown (our friends recently booked a daycare spot for their daughter - $2300/month). we'd also need to find a larger apartment if we had a child, which means that just to provide the basics for one kid we'd need to be making more than double what we make now, and we're already both earning almost 50% more than the average salary in toronto. i refuse to be one of those people that moves out to a subdivision in oakville and spends three hours every single day on a train. that's not the kind of life i want and i would be absolutely miserable.

so for now things are pretty great, but eventually i know a reckoning is coming. either we'll have to move away from toronto and probably back to the east coast (and i'll have to find a whole new career) if we want a kid, or we decide not to have children and live as DINKs in the city we really want to be in. i have no idea what we're going to do but unless we get really really lucky we'll likely never be able to have a family here, which really sucks because we would both love to raise a kid in the big city.

:shrug:

I’m the same way. LA, DC, and Houston are my main options.

Haha! Coming from folks who make WAY more money than many of us!!

Are you just drunk shitposting now?

If you’re going to go parody account, go all in, if not what’s the point of these drive bys? You’re not equipped to have adult conversations, why waste your time?

Gzusfreak thinks making people mad means you're doing something right. He has nothing of value to bring and doesn't even believe half the shit he says (i.e how he characterizes and misrepresents others' arguments). No one should bother.

I have
It’s not a broad generalization. Bobby Kennedy was pretty much great. The rest of them all have big asterisks.
RFK: A Raging Spirit - Chris Mathews is a quite an amazing book. Shows how what was his defined "ruthlessness" was not always what it seemed/ came from a different place. How he re-revealed his empathy, and gentleness which he hid as he understood how much his father hated - after JFK's assassination.
And all the political ins & outs.
Losing him and Dr King within about 2 months of each other was agony, sent our country in another direction that still reverberates today. :(

I'd agree astericks could added to JFK , and Ted.

I don't think Ted was a murderer, but a manslaughter might have been appropriate.

Still he either authored, co-sponsored or voted for many Civil Rights bills, including the Reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act. WIC program. A lot of Healthcare items. A bunch of other good qthings i can't remember from earlier today.

JFK literally brought us all to the brink of nuclear annihilation, but hey don't call him shitty thats mean

OK, Dave, i went and looked up a bunch of stuff earlier today. A bunch of stuff i didn't know. :scratch:
I was 10 during the Cuban Missile a Crisis I do remember it re: TV and NYT. And precocious in science, and some other stuff so yeah, i knew what could be ahead back then.

But it seems i missed the revelations made about it back in 1987! :ohmy: That laid out a lot of facts that fuel your conclusion.

I can't totally agree, but he had a lot more to do with it re his decisions, that i previously knew. :sigh: But Khrushchev, and top Soviet officials have their hand in this too. Also mis matched cultural ways of thinking played a role.

Still when the USA Generals esp Curtis LeMay rattled their sabers, JFK, RFK and some of his top people got them to cool their heels, and went ahead with addressing Khrushchev 's first letter (that hinted at an opening) instead the more bristling second one, etc.

I am going to vote for the Democrat in the general election. I'm also going to fight like hell in the primary against all of the Democrats except Sanders and Warren, because they all really fucking suck. No politician is good, but Sanders and Warren are the only two who seem to understand that the problems are much bigger than just Trump.

Right wing policies are the true danger, not simply Donald Trump. Joe Biden is going to allow many of the things that led us to this crisis continue unabated. That he will right a few of the wrongs of the GOP is no consolation to me. Will I vote for him? Against someone to his right, sure. But I'll sure be holding my fucking nose while I do, and to avoid that, I'm going to call him and the rest of the lot out on their terrible, terrible stances.

"right a few wrongs....etc... no consolation...."

i think that's a rather arrogant attitude, dude.
That a whole bunch of people might get some better heath, or health care at all, that the torn Social Safety Net can at least start to be rewoven, the Voting Rights Act might be properly restored, the Federal Gov will put it's weight behind Climate Change again (thumbs up for the cities, and those States that are taking steps), that women might have better Choice options again?!?. (not even the whole list of what could happen when turning the ship of state around)

Oh, piffle, right "just" "a few" wrongs.
Those wrongs that stand as is right now mean life or death for some people. If not that extreme for others, seriously better conditions for them.

IF this means nothing to you then i do question your empathy, compassion.

Last edited:
curtis lemay was even worse than hermann goering and we'd literally all be dead/never born today if he had gotten his way. one of the most evil people who ever lived.

Swing and a miss if you read the text, Jesus told YOU (and me) to feed the poor, not give money to the Romans to do it for them. I'm all for having the government give more of my money back to me so I can follow the Lord's command to give and serve even more than I do. Great idea for us all to give of our own time and resources to those who really need it. Nothing to do with taxes or the government.

To follow up on that as i have mentioned before, studies show that more conservatives give more to charity than liberals by a fairly wide margin. So let's all step up and give and serve out of our OWN resources, not just try to spend someone else's money. That's not compassion, that's virtue signaling

Swing and a miss if you read the text, Jesus told YOU (and me) to feed the poor, not give money to the Romans to do it for them. I'm all for having the government give more of my money back to me so I can follow the Lord's command to give and serve even more than I do. Great idea for us all to give of our own time and resources to those who really need it. Nothing to do with taxes or the government.

Lmao oh so in this case, the Bible is literal and clearly meant “don’t give it to the government,” and in other cases it’s basically like this abstract concept that justifies your other views, right?

To follow up on that as i have mentioned before, studies show that more conservatives give more to charity than liberals by a fairly wide margin. So let's all step up and give and serve out of our OWN resources, not just try to spend someone else's money. That's not compassion, that's virtue signaling

There are so many things iffy about your statements. You’ve already proven not to understand “studies.” What you’re supposing can easily be bent in either way, depending upon the bias you induce.

I bet your ass wouldn’t give a dime to underserved African American communities because it ain’t your own. That’s the bias that’s easy to sniff, and that’s where your whole argument falls apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom