US Politics XIV: Vote for Pedro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN has Biden at 39%.

Realistically everybody from Booker on down is DOA and may as well drop out.

Mayor Pete is on fire.

Kamala Harris is underperforming in polls given how I thought she'd do (i.e. I figured she'd poll higher than Elizabeth Warren).

CNN has Biden at 39%.

Mayor Pete is on fire.

Kamala Harris is underperforming in polls given how I thought she'd do (i.e. I figured she'd poll higher than Elizabeth Warren).
Well this is just New Hampshire...

But yea. Biden and Buttigeg are on an upswing, Bernie's on a downswing, Kamala and Warren are treading water and everyone else is on life support (or worse).

I imagine everyone will stay in until the debates begin though.

I think Sanders' coming out in support of Ted Bundy's voting rights is hurting him.

New 2020 Suffolk/Globe poll in New Hampshire:

Biden 20%
Buttigieg 12%
Sanders 12%
Warren 8%
Harris 6%
Booker 3%
O'Rourke 3%
Delaney 1%
Gabbard 1%
Klobuchar 1%
Yang 1%
Castro <1%
Gillibrand <1%
Hickenlooper <1%
Messam <1%
Moulton <1%
Ryan <1%
Swalwell <1%
Williamson <1%
Inslee 0%

I’ve never even heard of Delaney or anyone below Hickenlooper (and every time something reminds me he’s on this list, I laugh).

Mayor Pete is on fire.

It’s April. Of 2019.

Mayor Pete could be at less than a percent and Booker could be in front in a year.

The only things that matter is their bank size and if their numbers make them eligible for the debates. Until then, it’s an open game for anyone.

IMG_8728.JPG

April 2015.

If I recall correctly, the winner is in a category that’s less than a percent.

And some of the candidates at 1-3% made it farther than some who had actual numbers.

View attachment 12286

April 2015.

If I recall correctly, the winner is in a category that’s less than a percent.

And some of the candidates at 1-3% made it farther than some who had actual numbers.
He didn't announce until June, and was near the top almost immediately.

The polls this early aren't the end all be all, but they're also not meaningless.

He didn't announce until June, and was near the top almost immediately.

The polls this early aren't the end all be all, but they're also not meaningless.

Because he called Mexicans rapists and murderers that June. Shock shock.

The polls aren’t meaningless and you can imagine that those who currently are polling well will make it to the debates.

For those not polling well, all that matters is if they can qualify for the debates. Like Trump. Like Fiorina. Like Carson.

Of course, those three also all have something in common. They were “outsiders.”

Because he called Mexicans rapists and murderers that June. Shock shock.

The polls aren’t meaningless and you can imagine that those who currently are polling well will make it to the debates.

For those not polling well, all that matters is if they can qualify for the debates. Like Trump. Like Fiorina. Like Carson.

Of course, those three also all have something in common. They were “outsiders.”
Right but Trump never polled poorly. He polled well from the moment he entered the race, so there was no concern of his not making the debates.

Right but Trump never polled poorly. He polled well from the moment he entered the race, so there was no concern of his not making the debates.

What are you talking about? He barely made it into the debate. He wasn’t on every polling, and his last three major polls were 1%, 2%, and “not even on the register.”

He shot up at the debate because of what he said. That’s precisely my point. As long as someone can make it that far, they’re fair game. Donald Trump was a joke until that point.

What are you talking about? He barely made it into the debate. He wasn’t on every polling, and his last three major polls were 1%, 2%, and “not even on the register.”

He shot up at the debate because of what he said. That’s precisely my point. As long as someone can make it that far, they’re fair game. Donald Trump was a joke until that point.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

He announced in May, was polling high in July, and the first televised debate was August.

The only things that matter is their bank size

Exactly.

There isn't enough money to go around. Booker and O'Rourke are the only ones below Harris who are raising good numbers (Booker's are just ok). Everyone else just doesn't have $ and furthermore there's been quite a lot written about how corporate donors are viewed as fairly toxic in the D primary which hurts fundraising significantly.

I'm not saying these are final numbers and I do think that Biden is probably somewhat artificially inflated because of a post-announcement bump but beyond the top 5 + maybe Booker and O'Rourke, do you really think anyone else has any sort of a chance? I honestly don't.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

He announced in May, was polling high in July, and the first televised debate was August.

He announced formally during that nasty speech, but had been (like many candidates) “exploring” already. He polled routinely between 0-4%, often in the noise. His major polling data (which qualifies you for the debates) set for June was, in order: {4, 3, <1, 4, <1, 4, 2, <1, 2, 1, 11, 11, 12, 11, 15}

Unsurprisingly, that change from 1 to to 11 (meaning, barely qualifying to front runner) happened after he called Mexicans rapists and murderers in the middle of June when he announced. But people knew he was running already.

To suggest he wasn’t polling poorly is silly. He wasn’t even on the radar.

Exactly.

There isn't enough money to go around. Booker and O'Rourke are the only ones below Harris who are raising good numbers (Booker's are just ok). Everyone else just doesn't have $ and furthermore there's been quite a lot written about how corporate donors are viewed as fairly toxic in the D primary which hurts fundraising significantly.

I'm not saying these are final numbers and I do think that Biden is probably somewhat artificially inflated because of a post-announcement bump but beyond the top 5 + maybe Booker and O'Rourke, do you really think anyone else has any sort of a chance? I honestly don't.

We live in a time where one of those zero percenters could expose themselves on stage and say they don’t believe in public correctness and they’d move to the top.

But yes, if some of those campaigners can’t start to build financial support nationally, they’re not going to be president. But many of them are playing the long game (getting campaign roots and will stump for a position in the administration).

Funny that you can laugh even though you were the one that got the dates wrong [emoji2960]

It’s not uncommon for prospective candidates to poll well. He did not.
You're right. He didn't announce in May. He announced in mid June and was towards the top of the polls by July, before the first televised debate in August. So he actually moved to the front even quicker than I led on.

You said he barely made the debates and only went to the top because of his debate performance. This simply isn't true.

You changed your story later on.

All I ever said was that he went to the top as soon as he announced, which is true.

Last edited:
You're right. He didn't announce in May. He announced in mid June and was towards the top of the polls by July, before the first televised debate in August. So he actually moved to the front even quicker than I led on.

You said he barely made the debates and only went to the top because of his debate performance. This simply isn't true.

You changed your story later on.

All I ever said was that he went to the top as soon as he announced, which is true.

Let me ask you: when do you think Donald Trump accused Mexicans of being rapists and murderers?

Because it seems to me that you think that was a statement after the fact, and not the sole cause of his polling jumping up.

I didn’t “change my story.” The dude went from barely eligible to front runner because he said some crude shit on tv.

Let me ask you: when do you think Donald Trump accused Mexicans of being rapists and murderers?

Because it seems to me that you think that was a statement after the fact, and not the sole cause of his polling jumping up.

I didn’t “change my story.” The dude went from barely eligible to front runner because he said some crude shit on tv.

Holy shit.

He wasn't eligible because he wasn't yet running. He said his vile shit at his announcement.

Joe Biden wasn't debate eligible a week ago, either. Because he wasn't running. He also wasn't in the major polls, which doesn't mean that hypothetical polling placed him high on the list.

Trump wasn't high on hypothetical polls because nobody took him serious until after he announced. Yes, his vile shit got him attention and he held it with his debate performance. But it's not as of pollsters were seriously trying to ask people about potential Trump presidencies before his announcement. Shit, most people didn't take his candidacy seriously until he won.

This is stupid.

And yes, you changed your story. You said he barely made the debate, and only shot up at the debate. Now you're saying that he shot up the polls at how announcement because of what he said, which isn't at all what you said at first because I wouldn't have debated that.

This is dumb.

Last edited:
Holy shit.

He wasn't eligible because he wasn't yet running. He said his vile shit at his announcement.

Joe Biden wasn't debate eligible a week ago, either. Because he wasn't running. He also wasn't in the major polls, which doesn't mean that hypothetical polling placed him high on the list.

Dude, prospective candidates more than a year out are still put on polls. Including Donald Trump then and including Joe Biden now. Joe Biden was polling well prior to his announcement. Donald Trump was not.

Trump wasn't high on hypothetical polls because nobody took him serious until after he announced. Yes, his vile shit got him attention and he held it with his debate performance. But it's not as of pollsters were seriously trying to ask people about potential Trump presidencies before his announcement. Shit, most people didn't take his candidacy seriously until he won.

And?? You’re angrily responding to me with my point. If he didn’t say that shit, he wouldn’t have jumped up in he polling. His announcement didn’t give him the bump. His choice of words did. If he didn’t say it, he would’ve stayed right where he was as a joke of a candidate.

This is stupid.

And yes, you changed your story. You said he barely made the debate, and only shot up at the debate. Now you're saying that he shot up the polls at how announcement because of what he said, which isn't at all what you said at first because I wouldn't have debated that.

This is dumb.

Holy fucking shit. Ok sorry I said debate when I meant “on tv.” That’s not changing my point. It’s April now, it was fucking JUNE then and a joke of a candidate was able to say some shit to raise his polling numbers and yes, thereby late in the game barely qualify for the debates. As in, without saying that shit, his qualification would be in question. As were MANY candidates who polled like he did prior to that incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom