US Politics XI - more threads than fired Trump cabinet members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s like George Takei said - cheap junk served on silver platters is basically the definition of Trump.

Has anyone flown since the shutdown? I have a flight on Thursday and I'm curious how long the lines are for TSA checkpoints.

Trump is never going to end this shutdown. Neither will the senate. It's going to take some sort of massive strike or protest from us to get it down.

This is what the GOP has wanted for a long time though, to bring down the Federal Government and start consolidating power while most of us are distracted.

Trump is never going to end this shutdown. Neither will the senate. It's going to take some sort of massive strike or protest from us to get it down.

Somebody needs to have the guts to either physically force Trump into ending this shutdown (make him sit in the office and tell him he's not leaving until he signs a bill, and make it clear he WILL sign a bill), or this needs to be the motivation to finally kick him out of office entirely. It's absolutely insane that people are allowing him to let his selfishness determine how long this shutdown lasts. He should not be allowed to get away with this bullshit.

I've also seen people suggest they just trick Trump into signing a bill by telling him the money's in there. It's certainly not like he actually bothers to read anything put in front of him that doesn't involve his name, after all, and he's clearly enough of a dumbass that it wouldn't take much to manipulate him. Maybe the Democrats should just play off that at this point, 'cause it seems that's about the only way anything might actually get done.

Has anyone flown since the shutdown? I have a flight on Thursday and I'm curious how long the lines are for TSA checkpoints.

This is what the GOP has wanted for a long time though, to bring down the Federal Government and start consolidating power while most of us are distracted.

I’ve flown 3 times since the shutdown. I have noticed TSA agents are starting to talk a lot more and look even more miserable. I haven’t noticed lines bring any longer, which I imagine varies from airport to airport.

I was taking a charter flight Sunday night that couldn't take off because that needed a tow and couldn't find someone to operate it.

It was also snowing, so who knows if it was the snow or the shutdown.

Alas, we took off Monday without issue.

This picture is killing me.

Just flew from LAX to ORD with no real issue. Seemed like everyone was chill, but I also was apparently put in the precheck line or something, because none of us had to take off shoes or anything. Went really fast. download_20190115_160506.jpeg

i think that's on the airport actually. as far as i'm aware every airport i've ever travelled through has a contractor company who deals with ground airplane logistics like towing, loading luggage and food, replenishing water etc. servisair is the big one. i can't recall ever seeing air canada employees moving an aircraft around the tarmac, though our boy did mention that it was a charter flight.

either way they aren't federal government employees.

This picture is killing me. Just flew from LAX to ORD with no real issue. Seemed like everyone was chill, but I also was apparently put in the precheck line or something, because none of us had to take off shoes or anything. Went really fast.

Screening efforts aren’t obligatory. The way the TSA has their system (with precheck and in part with CBP with global entry) is that they formulate a risk factor versus traffic flow. Age, gender, etc. (all the stuff you fill out when you book your ticket) comes into play, inclusive of a frequent flyer participation, etc.. This varies by airport, but airports with more traffic are more likely to utilize random selection into TSA precheck (or limiting restrictions such as shoes) to lessen stress on the system during peak hours. I’ve certainly seen the shoes restriction lifted at JFK a lot over the years.

It’s entirely possible that they are extending the utilization of that system with more workers calling out sick-of-shutdown, which is why the shutdown is making air travel “less safe.”

i think that's on the airport actually. as far as i'm aware every airport i've ever travelled through has a contractor company who deals with ground airplane logistics like towing, loading luggage and food, replenishing water etc. servisair is the big one. i can't recall ever seeing air canada employees moving an aircraft around the tarmac, though our boy did mention that it was a charter flight.

either way they aren't federal government employees.

Line service technicians don’t typically work for the airline (some do or are contracted directly by airlines if the airline directly operates a segment of the airport, as is sometimes the case if it’s a hub).

But airlines do have ground operations crews and contractors, and it’s their job to seamlessly turn a plane around as quickly as possible.

When airlines are late/there are too many planes on the ground, it’s usually the fault of (1) weather or (2) the airline. Line service technicians are generally a pretty fixed thing. I’d usually go with blaming the airline.

Screening efforts aren’t obligatory. The way the TSA has their system (with precheck and in part with CBP with global entry) is that they formulate a risk factor versus traffic flow. Age, gender, etc. (all the stuff you fill out when you book your ticket) comes into play, inclusive of a frequent flyer participation, etc.. This varies by airport, but airports with more traffic are more likely to utilize random selection into TSA precheck (or limiting restrictions such as shoes) to lessen stress on the system during peak hours. I’ve certainly seen the shoes restriction lifted at JFK a lot over the years.

It’s entirely possible that they are extending the utilization of that system with more workers calling out sick-of-shutdown, which is why the shutdown is making air travel “less safe.”
That may be, but I was traveling with an infant as well, hence thinking I may have been put with the precheck people. Today was definitely an off-peak day. I've traveled at much busier times many many times over the years and this is the first time I've not had to take off my shoes.

Anyways it's all anecdotal, just sharing my experience. I hope this is figured out before I fly back on Sunday, but I doubt it. Hoping they don't go on strike.

I have a spy who assured me that all airlines were struggling to take off from Dulles on Sunday.

But hey now I'm here in London and in a different country that's faxing a ridiculous semi racist fight for it's future.

Fun!

Indeed...and unlike the US where you can if you can vote in a new president if you wish, we will be stuck with this Brexit nightmare for ever

So, as I mentioned earlier, we are fine. We can (carefully) exist on one paycheck and we have rental income and savings. But after not getting one of our paychecks this week, and increasingly likely that we won’t get the next one, we have cancelled a lot of home reno stuff we had planned for January — wallpapering, fixing a stone wall, a roof repair, etc. Not a ton of money, and stuff we can put off, but these are contractors who’s bottom lines are being affected as work gets shifted and cancelled, and that’s just us. This is going to become a bigger and bigger drain on the economy as we start to batten down the spending hatches and wait it out.

So unthinkably stupid.

Last edited:
This is what the GOP wants. To think any poll numbers will convince them to change is a dream.

The norms of the past do not matter to these people, and definitely not to Trump

They hate the federal government, and are going to stack it with their own to keep power.

What action has the GOP taken in decades that makes us believe they care about anyone but the rich, military contractors, and their own?

That may be, but I was traveling with an infant as well, hence thinking I may have been put with the precheck people. Today was definitely an off-peak day. I've traveled at much busier times many many times over the years and this is the first time I've not had to take off my shoes.

Anyways it's all anecdotal, just sharing my experience. I hope this is figured out before I fly back on Sunday, but I doubt it. Hoping they don't go on strike.

From experience, it was the baby that allowed you to remain shod. When the little gypsy is old enough to walk, she will get to keep her shoes on, but you'll end up having to take yours off again.

wtf does bernie sanders have to do with the republican party or the NRA? :scratch:
Bernie has taken NRA money and received favorable ratings from them in the past.

Relatively small amounts when you compare to, say, Ted Cruz, but Sanders was one of the top 25 recipients of NRA cash as recently as 2016.

Last edited:
Bernie has taken NRA money and received favorable ratings from them in the past.

Relatively small amounts when you compare to, say, Ted Cruz, but Sanders was one of the top 25 recipients of NRA cash as recently as 2016.
oh true. yea, not a big fan of that :|
thank god. A remnant of the Bernie debacle. Hoping Dems wise up this time.
i agree, let's hope that this time the dems wise up and unlike last time actually give a fair shot to more than one pre-chosen candidate :up:

Last edited:
oh true. yea, not a big fan of that :|
i agree, let's hope that this time the dems wise up and unlike last time actually give a fair shot to more than one pre-chosen candidate :up:

Agreed. I think the field will be so large this time, and people will be paying more attention than ever, that it could lead to a strong, experienced candidate, who is able to appeal to more than just the far left, stands to reaffirm the Dems as the party of everyday working people, while pushing new ground on gun safety, drug reform, environmental regulations, affordable education, race and gender bias etc...
All that while being a likable, inspiring figure.

You know, simple...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom