US Politics XI - more threads than fired Trump cabinet members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Age of anti information. If Jesus freak can blatantly lie about so many things with respects to immigration and the constitution , why do you think he will provide you with an answer?

The speech ? I am going to guess he’s going to announce he has to declare a national emergency for his wall.

This is more about him consolidating power while breaking apart our government and democracy

I used to say that living in the US under Trump was like getting into a car with a drunk driver. Now it’s like being held hostage at gunpoint.

I used to say that living in the US under Trump was like getting into a car with a drunk driver. Now it’s like being held hostage at gunpoint.

Pretty much. At this point I'm truly wondering just what the hell it will take to FINALLY get him out of here once and for all.

Once again, Trump supporters, thanks so much for completely fucking up our country because of your stupidity.

It seems insane that, should this drag on for weeks, we may have to dip into our emergency fund — like most liberals, we’re financially responsible and tuck money away precisely for unexpected things like this — because our president is an idiot who can’t read and relied upon “the Wall” as a memory device so he’d talk about immigration at his Nuremberg rallies and now he’s painted himself into a political corner because racists liked the idea.

But we don’t stiff the caterer either.

Oh, and there may be a lot of children in red states going without their food assistance. So, good job red state voters.

Last edited:
Oh, and there may be a lot of children in red states going without their food assistance. So, good job red state voters.

I mean, these are the same people who continue to vote for and support a party that wants to take away access to free school lunches for low-income children, take away access to affordable healthcare for them, has refused to do squat about gun control in the wake of Sandy Hook, and don't seem at all bothered by the fact that immigrant children are suffering and dying at the border, so this is sadly no surprise.

But remember, the GOP is totally pro-life.

It seems insane that, should this drag on for weeks, we may have to dip into our emergency fund

Lol well at least you have one.

Luckily my place has arrangements to stay open in limited fashion for the year. I work on the side the absolutely is about to be shut down if this persists, but they’ll find other stuff for me to do.

If they didn’t, I have yet to build up a safety net thanks to student loans, moving, and rent being so expensive. And to be honest I’ll probably be like that for the rest of the year.

Most people can’t afford a shutdown.

Trump says people will "make do". Let them eat cake. How people can still justify voting for this guy is beyond any belief to me.

I'm supposed to be flying soon and I'm nervous about it for that reason. It's already nerve wracking enough without Trump's narcissism and childish craziness screwing it up. F him.

I mean.. he’s well aware that federal employees are predominantly democrats. And for the ones that aren’t, and I quote, “he’s on our side.” His supporters are too far gone.

eh ... i've heard firsthand that government workers tend to be much more complex than "predominantly Democrats." certainly your TSA workers might be, but if you go across government agencies, it's much more ideologically diverse. there are government agencies across the country, too, and FAA workers in Oklahoma aren't significantly more liberal than your average cross section of Oklahoma voters. and it's not like most federal workers can afford to live in super-liberal DC itself on their salaries alone, unless they're married to a lawyer or childless and living in a one-bedroom.

on the rural effects bit, this article was both super illuminating and depressing:

Though Mr. Trump said on Twitter over the weekend that “most of the workers not getting paid are Democrats,” that is far from true in places like Jackson County, Fla., where Marianna is the county seat. It is a Republican bastion so deeply conservative that it was illegal to sell liquor by the drink until November 2017. The president and his plan for a wall along the border are popular here, as they are across much of the state, which might explain why Florida Republicans in Congress have done little to pressure party leaders in the Senate to put an end to the shutdown.

“Everybody I talk to wants the wall,” James Grover, 72, a car salesman from nearby Blountstown, said over breakfast on Saturday at the Waffle Iron, a diner on Route 90 that opens six days a week even though its facade, destroyed by the hurricane, is temporarily made up of plastic sheeting and plywood.

Few prison guards interviewed leveled any criticism at the president or his border policy, instead blaming the impasse on both Republicans and Democrats in Congress who have failed to reach any agreement.

“You can point fingers at both sides,” said Jason Griffin, 44. “I point fingers at everyone. If they want to get something done, they can.”

Mr. Vinzant, the union president, said he believed a wall was necessary because he trusted fellow public employees who work for the Border Patrol. “Those guys will sit there and say, ‘We need help,’” he said. “So I have to agree with it. We don’t have a choice.”

But that solidarity does not make the prison officers’ situation any easier, especially since they face an added stress: The Bureau of Prisons as a general condition of employment requires that its workers pay their debts in a timely fashion. Failure to do so can result in discipline.

“I hate the shutdown,” said Joseph Sims, 37, a corrections officer of six years. “Sometimes you’ve got to do stuff to get stuff done,” he said of Mr. Trump’s stance, “but now it’s starting to take a toll on everybody at work.”

On Saturday, Mr. Sims stood in his living room as his wife, Melissa Sims, a prison nurse, prepared to hug their 3-year-old twins before embarking on the nearly seven-hour drive to work for two weeks in Mississippi.

“Mommy’s got to go bye-bye,” she told her son, Eli, who shrieked: “No! You can’t!”

“Oh my gosh, don’t make me cry,” said Ms. Sims, 39.

The day after she is scheduled to return, her husband will have to leave for Yazoo City himself, so they will hardly see each other. And the shutdown seems likely to delay repairs at the Marianna prison, which workers fear will remain effectively closed for at least a year.

“We can handle a month or two, but if it gets much longer than that, I’m going to look for another job — a job in the private sector,” Ms. Sims said of working without pay.

She blamed Mr. Trump for the shutdown, a point on which she disagreed with her husband and most of her colleagues. “This definitely is making me more political than I have been in the past,” Ms. Sims said. She has been researching how Congress passes budget bills.

“My stance is that if there’s a wall, they’re going to find a way to get past it — legal or not,” Ms. Sims said.

“I believe there should be a barrier,” her husband countered.

A few miles away, another prison employee, Crystal Minton, accompanied her fiancé to a friend’s house to help clear the remnants of a metal roof mangled by the hurricane. Ms. Minton, a 38-year-old secretary, said she had obtained permission from the warden to put off her Mississippi duty until early February because she is a single mother caring for disabled parents. Her fiancé plans to take vacation days to look after Ms. Minton’s 7-year-old twins once she has to go to work.

The shutdown on top of the hurricane has caused Ms. Minton to rethink a lot of things.

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

and that last line is the single most depressing thing i've read this year so far.

Last edited:
Few prison guards interviewed leveled any criticism at the president or his border policy, instead blaming the impasse on both Republicans and Democrats in Congress who have failed to reach any agreement.

“You can point fingers at both sides,” said Jason Griffin, 44. “I point fingers at everyone. If they want to get something done, they can.”

Wrong. Somebody needs to remind these people that:

a) the Democrats have not had any sort of majority power or control these last two years. It's been all purely Republican rule. The shutdown started before the Democrats took over the House. There's only one side to blame here.

b) before Trump threw his little tantrum over the wall funding, there had been an agreement on funding the government and avoiding this shutdown. Trump's the one that decided at the last minute that he needed to hold it up, and his Republican buddies are too wimpy to stand up to him and tell him to get over himself.

But hey, who cares about pesky things like logic or facts, right? Just say, "both sides" ant that can absolve you of any blame or need to take any responsibility for who you vote for.

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

Well, she's certainly honest, I'll give her that much. I'd sure love to hear her explain just who these people she thinks he "needs to be hurting" are, though, and why (I mean, I know, but I'd love it if she were forced to explain in detail).

eh ... i've heard firsthand that government workers tend to be much more complex than "predominantly Democrats." certainly your TSA workers might be, but if you go across government agencies, it's much more ideologically diverse. there are government agencies across the country, too, and FAA workers in Oklahoma aren't significantly more liberal than your average cross section of Oklahoma voters. and it's not like most federal workers can afford to live in super-liberal DC itself on their salaries alone, unless they're married to a lawyer or childless and living in a one-bedroom.

on the rural effects bit, this article was both super illuminating and depressing:

and that last line is the single most depressing thing i've read this year so far.

I'd have to search for the article, but the headline or summary of it was that "the cruelty is the point"

Trump supporters just want liberals to feel pain. Now that they're feeling the pain, they feel betrayed but they'll still find a way to blame Clinton or Obama.

Trump is doing this for Foxnews. His base wouldn't blink an eye if he said there will be no wall, in fact they'd deny he ever said he was going to put one up.

But Ann Coulter types will continue to blast him if he doesn't go through with it. And Trumps ego cannot take that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom