US Politics VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The FBI is not a political body.

The 4 main people under attack by the Trump organization... the so called "deep state"... are all Republicans. That's not stopping them from doing their jobs, even in the face of unrelenting and cowardly attacks by POTUS and the majority in the house.

And good opposition research is very much not partisan. Democrats and Republicans hire the same companies to do their research. They present their findings. This idea that they are all of a sudden slanted in one way or another is ridiculous. Fusion GPS would have eventually found out all of the things in the Dossier if they were still funded by conservatives after the convention.

Nunes is a disgrace.

i must say that following this thread today from a beach chair in mexico with a head full of acid has been equal parts fascinating and entertaining. thank you all.

So while the country and probably the world aren’t safer because of how stupid Trump and his team are

But imagine how much damage could have been done if they were so stupid.

Carter Page. Who would hire this guy?

They hired him because no one with any credibility was willing to work for Trump.

Everyone thought it was a stunt. Including the “candidate” himself. The Russians wanted to disrupt our elections, and fuck with Hillary because they hated her and Obama not least because of the sanctions, and who better than the man who launders money for them and who they have on video being peed on by sex workers? I even wonder if the birth certificate, which was how Trump inserted himself into the Obama years conversation, was the start of all this.

I think the scenario everyone was working under was to make HRC damaged goods as much as possible — she’d win, but by much less than anticipated, and the bots working the fringes would create more hate for her among the Jill Stein idiots. (My guess is she’s on the payroll too). The GOP would continue to self-immolate to the applause of their base — they had enough problems listening to a black guy, and now a woman?!?! — and the GOP would retain control of the houses and we’d have gridlock and a damaged president.

Last edited:
They hired him because no one with any credibility was willing to work for Trump.

Everyone thought it was a stunt. Including the “candidate” himself. The Russians wanted to disrupt our elections, and fuck with Hillary because they hated her and Obama not least because of the sanctions, and who better than the man who launders money for them and who they have on video being peed on by sex workers? I even wonder if the birth certificate, which was how Trump inserted himself into the Obama years conversation, was the start of all this.

I think the scenario everyone was working under was to make HRC damaged goods as much as possible — she’d win, but by much less than anticipated, and the bots working the fringes would create more hate for her among the Jill Stein idiots. (My guess is she’s on the payroll too). The GOP would continue to self-immolate to the applause of their base — they had enough problems listening to a black guy, and now a woman?!?! — and the GOP would retain control of the houses and we’d have gridlock and a damaged president.

While I like the elegance of this theory, and in some sense want it to be true because I loathe the Trump presidency, I do think we ought to be careful before asserting conspiracies that are based on information that is substantially less-than-verified.

While I like the elegance of this theory, and in some sense want it to be true because I loathe the Trump presidency, I do think we ought to be careful before asserting conspiracies that are based on information that is substantially less-than-verified.

We’re just chatting. I’m making no assertions beyond the fact that this feels correct. It’s also not so much a conspiracy as a logical chain of (possible, even likely) events — I don’t see any mastermind, just actions and reactions.

What do you think is going to happen in the 2018 mid terms?

Unless something happens, we’ll see Democrats make significant gains in the house. Not sure how much, but the most recent elections in Louisiana and Virginia are a template for what I think will likely happen.

The Senate has a very, very bad map. 2020 is a different story.

Trump steaks
Nah not his scam businesses. They are what they are... a con, but not necessarily illegal.

He has a long history both with the regular old American Italian mafia, and Russian mobsters and money launderers. It's not a secret, it's pretty wide open... we just aren't used to seeing it so blatantly with our presidential candidates so people just seem to think it's just a bunch of crap... but yea, it's fairly obvious and open.

Trump pleads the 5th:
WASHINGTON — Lawyers for President Trump have advised him against sitting down for a wide-ranging interview with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, according to four people briefed on the matter, raising the specter of a monthslong court battle over whether the president must answer questions under oath.

His lawyers are concerned that the president, who has a history of making false statements and contradicting himself, could be charged with lying to investigators. Their stance puts them at odds with Mr. Trump, who has said publicly and privately that he is eager to speak with Mr. Mueller as part of the investigation into possible ties between his associates and Russia’s election interference, and whether he obstructed justice.

Mr. Trump’s decision about whether to speak to prosecutors, expected in the coming weeks, will shape one of the most consequential moments of the investigation. Refusing to sit for an interview opens the possibility that Mr. Mueller will subpoena the president to testify before a grand jury, setting up a court fight that would drastically escalate the investigation and could be decided by the Supreme Court.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/us/politics/trump-lawyers-special-counsel-interview.html

Well, he hasn't done anything near pleading the 5th yet.

But If I were his lawyers, I wouldn't agree to sit down with the special counsel either. I'd maybe offer to answer written questions, and that's it.

And if they subpoenaed the President, I'd fight it all the way to the SCOTUS. And then if he lost, and had to talk, I'd tell him to plead the 5th. Which he'd be entitled to do.

In Trump's case, this is particularly important...there's no way he doesn't lie in any interview, even if he is actually trying to be truthful. As clever and smart as he thinks he is, he has no idea what an interview with a Federal Prosecutor will be like. They will make very, very short work of him.

There's no upside for him to talk to them, only downside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom