US Politics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thing is, the US isn't the only one working on this - other countries (particularly the UK) have intel on this, so surely it's not just going to go away... hopefully at least...

oh, yeah ... keep it going it internationals!

And awww, merci for your thank you :).
I just made my first (paid for by relatives who live in a little village) trip to Europe last fall, and they also treated me to a trip to Paris in the middle of my stay with them.So
of course your country was on my mind. But I'm a New Yorker w many interests and do keep an eye on International news around the whole world.

Our public radio was talking about Germany's being the next big election.

As explained on NPR this evening the Senate's uh, committee on intelligence will continue their work but they have other things to work so it's not a dedicated process.
A Special ?investigator can be appointed but that person still answered to the Justice Dpt.:|

What is needed is a independent prosecutor like back in the Watergate days. However that position would have to be revived by law.

How many Republicans would go along with that... ... probably not enough. :|

Yeah, dazzled, this is what scares me. What are the checks and balances left if the POTUS can fire people constantly, owns Congress, and probably owns the senate.
I mean, has the great democracy genuinely become a dictatorship, albeit for 4 years..

Trump's the president. that ship has long since sailed! You could give the job to fucking Paris Hilton and plenty of numbskulls would say "oh it's nice that there's some class in the FBI now."

I don't see how this doesn't get uglier. If GOP do come out and put the pressure for independent investigation, what will this Administration do to protect itself? Release shit about each congressman? Will Trump fire congress next??

If other countries are gathering intel, do we bomb them??? ;)

I don't know how you tune this out. It's so exhausting to watch.

They'll do like Spicer did yesterday and all find some bushes to hide behind.

It's always shocking to me when I see how hard it is for Americans to actually cast a vote. So many ways to keep people from exercising their democratic rights. This is yet another example:

According to federal court records, 300,000 registered voters, 9 percent of the electorate, lacked strict forms of voter ID in Wisconsin. A new study by Priorities USA, shared exclusively with The Nation, shows that strict voter-ID laws, in Wisconsin and other states, led to a significant reduction in voter turnout in 2016, with a disproportionate impact on African-American and Democratic-leaning voters. Wisconsin’s voter-ID law reduced turnout by 200,000 votes, according to the new analysis. Donald Trump won the state by only 22,748 votes.

https://www.thenation.com/article/w...w-suppressed-200000-votes-trump-won-by-23000/

Yeah, dazzled, this is what scares me. What are the checks and balances left if the POTUS can fire people constantly, owns Congress, and probably owns the senate.
I mean, has the great democracy genuinely become a dictatorship, albeit for 4 years..

I don't know about that, mate ...

I'm starting to think Trump fired Comey more about the idea that he helped Trump win than anything Russia.

The guy can't let it go that he won on a archaic system versus vote totals

Edit:

Seeing all the news reports this morning, yeah it's about Russia

Last edited:
18342798_10155304084618695_159541039102621340_n.jpg

ANNAPOLIS, Md. —
The FBI confirms agents are executing a search warrant at an office of a GOP fundraiser/consulting firm in Annapolis, the 11 News I-Team has learned.
Is the Louise Mensche actually true????!!!
Meanwhile Trump is contradicting Pence from yesterday. The whole thing is crumbling around Trump now.

New interview with the Orange is up at TIME magazine. Can we have Sarah Palin back? At least she was funny...

When [Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō] Abe came from Japan, first thing he said to me when I first met him. He walked out. "Thank you, thank you." I said, "For what?" F-35. You bought, you saved us one hundred million dollars. Because they’re part of the group that buy the ninety planes. It’s a lot. We get, they get, different allies.

But I saved Japan a hundred million bucks. Took me probably an hour if I added up all the time. But I will be saving, when we put that out over two, the two thousand five hundred planes, billions of dollars. Nobody ever wrote a story about that.

But they said the F-35 program is now straightened out and the costs are way down. They’re down because of me. Then Boeing when the F-18, I mean I must have got thirty-five million of each plane off. . . . You know they had the F-35s, they had thirty-five of them fly over Japan when [Defense Secretary] General [James] Mattis was there, and they were not detected by the radar. They flew over and everyone said where the hell did they come from? That’s stealth. It’s pretty cool, right. Thirty-five of them flying at a high speed, low, and they were not detected. They flew right over the top of the deal, nobody knew they were coming. Pretty cool, right?

Donald Trump: TIME Interview on Being President | Time.com

I am not under investigation.

If you say it three times it becomes fact.

Seriously, who lets this guy do an interview the day after he makes one of the most obvious and guilty looking maneuvers of his presidency so far?

Is the Louise Mensche actually true????!!!
I'm not sure what the knowledge about her on this board is, but Louise Mensch is a legitimate crazy person and an opportunist who lucked into being in the US when Trump got elected. She calls quite literally almost anything Russian. One day I saw her just claiming random planes landing in some airport in Connecticut were connected to a Russian conspiracy. She's batshit.

kwl, not sure if all of the Republicans Congress will always go along w Trump since some are way more conservative than him on some things. Otoh he night be able to sway some moderates at some point, and Conservatives at other times.
Yet at times either of these 2 groups might resist him ( for better, or worse for the rest of us ).

But he's largely motivated by getting attention, and greed. So that heavily plays into his actions as well.

After the election Trump, who during the campaign had been pilloried with the same look-at-this-idiot routine (he doesn’t even know how to start a land war in the Middle East right), found himself suddenly transformed into an evil mastermind. Trump was a fascist, carefully plotting his consolidation of power. Shadowy counselors like genius Steve Bannon (who was once seen reading a whole book in an airport) were plotting to bring America to its knees with post-Leninist theory. The whole scheme was being orchestrated by the Russians, our classically devious foe. When the White House announced the sudden firing of FBI Director James Comey on Tuesday, liberal pundit Chris Hayes tweeted, “The White House has made the calculation that however bad this looks, it’s better than letting Comey continue to supervise the investigation.” The story has been the same all year: everywhere, Trump’s White House is staying one step ahead of the best sleuths in the business, setting up back channels and secret deals, making astute calculations like cackling laser villains in a James Bond movie.

This is a curious development, mainly because Trump really is a dumbass. He is profoundly stupid. This is obvious. He is as stupid as liberals pretended George Bush to be, probably even dumber than that. He appears before us on a million television screens as a sputtering child, choking half-remembered words out from a drooping chin asphyxiated by daddy’s tie. He has spent his whole life being stupid, failing upward through a business world that celebrates the terminally idiotic, unable-to-distinguish anymore between himself and the man he has played in so many versions on television. The trouble is not that he doesn’t read white papers, it’s that he has spent his entire life belching the alphabet and if it worked, and it did work, he’s as shocked as anyone. “I loved my previous life. I had so many things going,” the president told Reuters last month, “This is more work than my previous life. I thought it would be easier.” If Trump is a wise man, he is only wise in the Socratic sense: he keeps telling us he doesn’t know what he’s doing, and nobody, it seems, will listen.

[...]

For 30 years, the Democratic Party sold itself as the last bulwark against slightly dumber managers of our imperial decline. Now, faced with a real incarnation of that fantasy, a Republican leader who even Aaron Sorkin would rewrite for lack of subtlety, they have transformed themselves into underdogs, racing to save the world from an evil genius.
The reasons for all of this become far clearer when you recall that, of course, nobody in a position of power in Washington really gives a shit about the Russians. They really don’t. Beyond vague feelings that undefined tampering in our elections is bad, nobody can tell you what, precisely, Trump has done or even could do on the level of material policy that benefits Vladimir Putin, except those things that the Republican Party was going to do anyway. He hasn’t even lived up to expectations. We’re bombing Syria. NATO is “good” again. Yes, rolling back environmental protections is excellent for a petro-state, but it’s difficult to imagine President Jeb! Bush throwing his full weight behind the Paris Treaty.

The objection, after all, cannot be to outside electoral influence in principle. Powerful entities have always had interests that run contrary to those of the American people, and those entities have routinely used their financial power or public relations outfits to meddle in our electoral process. It’s only that these entities are ordinarily multinational corporation, and the principle difference between the meddling of a multinational corporation and the meddling of Russia is that I can tell you precisely what a multinational corporation gets in policy concessions and regulatory kickbacks when they help elect an unpopular political candidate. And this really, is where this whole strange Democratic shift starts to becomes clear: This was supposed to be their game.

When the Democrats began their transformation into the part of smarter, kinder reactionaries, they abandoned what flimsy claim they had left to a natural base within the country. The savagery of the G.O.P. helped a bit, but the smarter-manager pitch was never meant to appeal to voters. It was meant to appeal to money. For decades, the Republican Party had been plied its advantage with our financial masters, losing the more populist House but winning nearly every presidential election in the second half of the 20th century by aligning itself with the true source of American power. The Democrats upended this with a simple plea: We’ll do your bidding, but we’ll do it better. We’ll sigh while we vote to authorize the next war, we’ll shake our head over what a shame it is that we must destroy the welfare state. The planet will shriek and howl in pain, and we will promise market-based solutions, based on the latest research, with all indications suggesting that nothing significant will have to change for your grandchildren to be obscenely wealthy too. The ploy worked. When Barack Obama and then Hillary Clinton managed to capture the advantage in Wall Street money and support, Democrats celebrated their success.

Now Trump, who knows nothing, has stolen the cynical con right out from under them. In their hearts, they know he didn’t even try — Vladimir Putin, the probable richest man on Earth, just stepped in and did it for him. Game recognizes game. Trump didn’t even have to sell his platform or his soul. Democrats wanted to fight the idiot Republican Party, the one that chased rubes in the country. But the new Republican Party, with its choking, spitting figurehead, has beat the best number-crunching managers of hell at their own game. My God. He must be some kind of genius.

https://theoutline.com/post/1524/the-crushing-idiocy-of-donald-trump

I'm not sure what the knowledge about her on this board is, but Louise Mensch is a legitimate crazy person and an opportunist who lucked into being in the US when Trump got elected. She calls quite literally almost anything Russian. One day I saw her just claiming random planes landing in some airport in Connecticut were connected to a Russian conspiracy. She's batshit.

er no, she's actually been pretty bang on about a lot of things - think she broke the story on the FISA warrant last year... i knew of her mostly as a former British conversative MP and chicklit writer, now turned investigative journalist... ps. i think the planes were legit - she (and the plane spotters) were just joining the dots together - Russian businessman's plane (can't remember his name) kept turning up at the same airfield as Trump's rallies during the campaign - i wouldn't buy into the "batshit" stuff that's being thrown around trying to discredit her tbh

that's one issue with Trump, he throws so much shit out there that it's turning all of us into conspiracy theorists.

and now we have the distraction of the new voter fraud task force.

voter suppression may have won the election for Trump, regardless of how crappy you thought Clinton was.

200k who couldn't vote in WI, and he wins by 20k

er no, she's actually been pretty bang on about a lot of things - think she broke the story on the FISA warrant last year... i knew of her mostly as a former British conversative MP and chicklit writer, now turned investigative journalist... ps. i think the planes were legit - she (and the plane spotters) were just joining the dots together - Russian businessman's plane (can't remember his name) kept turning up at the same airfield as Trump's rallies during the campaign - i wouldn't buy into the "batshit" stuff that's being thrown around trying to discredit her tbh

it's hard to believe everything that she tosses out though. she honestly believes that when the dust settles Orin Hatch will be President, as Trump, Pence and even Paul Ryan will all be indicted in a huge RICO case.

that's pretty batshit.

but hey, it's batshit till it's true - and yes, some of the things that the wackadoodles have been tweeting about have actually come true (while other shit hasn't)

it's hard to believe everything that she tosses out though. she honestly believes that when the dust settles Orin Hatch will be President, as Trump, Pence and even Paul Ryan will all be indicted in a huge RICO case.

that's pretty batshit.

but hey, it's batshit till it's true - and yes, some of the things that the wackadoodles have been tweeting about have actually come true (while other shit hasn't)

you have to filter :lol:

i think she is pretty hyper and goes over the top on stuff - i admit to just skimming her tweets and do take what she says with a huge pinch of salt, but having known about her for years i find it difficult to write her off as crazy... she definitely has reinvented herself lately though LOL

eta: she has been right about a fair amount of stuff though... i honestly do think she is bang on re. Trump and crew... been interesting looking into the Cambridge Analytica stuff, her stance on Wikileaks (plus discovering the servers were transferred to Moscow last year), Assange (who seems to have turned into an utter asshole), Farage, Le Pen - their links to Trump and Russia, plus there's the whole "dark money" side of things - she's not the only one talking about this stuff - a whole load of reputable journalists are as well, George Monbiot (my fave) for one... there definitely is a whole load of weird shit going on in the world right now - here in France, Macron got hacked and had a whole load of files leaked minutes before the campaign blackout before the 2nd round of the election - the leaks were traced back to the US, a pro-Trump, alt-right troll apparently, plus Russian affiliated - this thing is nuts... however, Macron knew he was being hacked weeks ago, so his team created masses of fake email accounts and filled them with fake documents, so as to distract/confuse/bog down the hackers (all being reported in mainstream French and UK press) - it all sounds like conspiracy, but some of this shit is real...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom