US military action likely caused birth defects in Fallujah, Iraq - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:00 AM
US military action likely caused birth defects in Fallujah, Iraq

As in Vietnam with the use of Agent Orange, the US is yet again causing birth defects with its military action -- this time in Fallujah, Iraq. Watch for yourselves.

BBC News - Birth defects rise reported by Fallujah doctors

Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Nice of them to provide evidence

Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Nice of them to provide evidence
The US used heavily toxic agents and all of a sudden there were massive increases in birth defects. The BBC was honest about there not being strong evidence but that could take years to prove what anyone knows about the dangers of warfare.

Be honest. The US media trumpets lots of stuff with less evidence than this.

This DID happen in Vietnam, too. Children are born there with birth defects to this day.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

No one is denying Vietnam, but the only 'evidence' this report sites is 'maybe its from the building they bulldozed into the river'. I dont even see how bringing Vietnam into the discussion is relevant apart from some weak 'see, they did it in Vietnam, so it must be their fault here' argument. I dunno, its terrible that these things are happening, I just think its a bit of a knee jerk reaction to blame the Americans
Old 07-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
No one is denying Vietnam, but the only 'evidence' this report sites is 'maybe its from the building they bulldozed into the river'. I dont even see how bringing Vietnam into the discussion is relevant apart from some weak 'see, they did it in Vietnam, so it must be their fault here' argument. I dunno, its terrible that these things are happening, I just think its a bit of a knee jerk reaction to blame the Americans
Yeah, terrible things happen when Americans use massive amounts of weaponry in your area and then pretend everything is fine -- like they did in Vietnam. The whole point is that Americans don't mind war when the costs are forced on other people. Their own media won't admit to it because it defies their nationalism; this is in stark contrast to the BBC's more responsible journalism, despite having British troops in Iraq.

If moral choices are to be made, then Americans should be aware of the damage they very likely are doing to Iraqis and DID do in Vietnam. Then they might not think war is an okay solution to so many problems and actually face up to the fact that it causes not just psychological damage but genetic damage as well to innocent civilians.

Need I remind you that the US media is quick to jump to excuses for war and legal action and sanctions based on far, far less evidence. These birth defects just started massively increasing after intense military combat.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #6
Refugee

More from the BBC on birth defects, including higher rates of cancer than after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. These defects have also reduced the numbers of boys born.

Oh yeah, and the Americans have made it impossible to sue the US government for any of this pollution.
BBC News - Fallujah children's 'genetic damage'
Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
Yeah, terrible things happen when Americans use massive amounts of weaponry in your area and then pretend everything is fine -- like they did in Vietnam.
Quote:
The whole point is that Americans don't mind war when the costs are forced on other people.
Quote:
Oh yeah, and the Americans have made it impossible to sue the US government for any of this pollution.
I guess you forgot how divisive this war is...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:00 PM
There are more replies on the Rachel Maddow thread, which I guess shows what's important.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Oh, I hate comments like that. If a comment doesn't get spoken on a particular message board, does the sentiment not exist? No.

Of course it's awful. Me commenting here does nothing to reinforce its awfulness, nor does it take away from it.

Sometimes it's easier to talk about the more lightweight topics than to comment on the things that are inherently awful.

And let's be honest - knowing FYM, I'm sure any discussion would rapidly devolve into the same posters posting the same back-and-forth arguments that pop up in any thread remotely related to the war.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Oh, I hate comments like that. If a comment doesn't get spoken on a particular message board, does the sentiment not exist? No.

Of course it's awful. Me commenting here does nothing to reinforce its awfulness, nor does it take away from it.

Sometimes it's easier to talk about the more lightweight topics than to comment on the things that are inherently awful.

And let's be honest - knowing FYM, I'm sure any discussion would rapidly devolve into the same posters posting the same back-and-forth arguments that pop up in any thread remotely related to the war.
Cori, sorry, but that reads like either a cop-out, or an indictment of the public's obsession with trivia (and I am well aware that FYM is no better or worse than any other forum).
Old 07-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:00 AM
I think there probably would have been more discussion on the issue if the thread wasn't framed so shitty...
Old 07-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:00 AM
What kind of discussion do you think there should be on this thread? All I can think of to post is "God, that's awful, and completely unsurprising. War is hell and the whole situation just depresses me because it seems hopeless when I think about how much awfulness it's caused."

I don't know why you might call it a cop-out, but yeah, I can't disagree with it being in line with our society's fascination with the slight and silly.

Hey look, a celebrity's on TV! Gotta go .....
Old 07-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

But Cori, how can you do anything that brings you joy when there are people living on the streets in your city????
Old 07-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
What kind of discussion do you think there should be on this thread? All I can think of to post is "God, that's awful, and completely unsurprising. War is hell and the whole situation just depresses me because it seems hopeless when I think about how much awfulness it's caused."

I don't know why you might call it a cop-out, but yeah, I can't disagree with it being in line with our society's fascination with the slight and silly.

Hey look, a celebrity's on TV! Gotta go .....
I suppose you're right. I just wanted people to be aware of stuff the US media doesn't discuss.

Meanwhile the BBC doesn't mind implicating the British:
YouTube - British Defense Sec Admits Depleted Uranium Used By U.S. & U.K. Military In Iraq!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I guess you forgot how divisive this war is...
Yeah, but the war happened and most Democrats supported it and most of the American people did, as did most of the media.

It was divisive mostly because of American casualties, not Iraqi ones. The Gulf War was very popular.

I realize that about 20% of the population are amazing people, but that's not enough. War is still seen as a reasonable solution far too often.

I'm pissed with people like Jay Leno who made it easier and beat down everyone who opposed it.

Obama supposedly was against the war, but on practical grounds, not moral ones and he continues to see it as a viable solution, including to win a 2nd term. Wasting foreigner's lives is always easy. I'm trying to make it a bit harder.