US Airways plane crashes in Hudson River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aren't most underwing? And why does this make the difference?

most are, yes. but planes with tail mounted engines are fairly smooth underneath, there's nothing to catch the water and cause a sudden deceleration as there can be with planes with underwing engines, which hang lower than the fuselage when the landing gear isn't extended.

If that is the case, let me be the first to say...

I hope Bono is OK.

I KNEW I would find this in the thread. Classic!

Something to think about, though....here is a picture of an A320 not in the water:

57371915_a747c542c3_m.jpg

Thank goodness everyone is (apparently) okay. The US has gone quite some time without a commercial plane crash.

Like Coolian said, non-fatal. The last fatal air incident in the US was in August 2006 (so, 28 months). It truly has been an amazing time for airline safety.

I hate planes.

How many times have you heard about a fatal accident on the roads you drive daily in the last 28 months? :sexywink: :kiss:

I'm glad no one was hurt. I work for US Airways, but I work in Philly.

I was actually thinking about you knowing where you work.

Like Coolian said, non-fatal. The last fatal air incident in the US was in August 2006 (so, 28 months). It truly has been an amazing time for airline safety.

How many times have you heard about a fatal accident on the roads you drive daily in the last 28 months? :sexywink: :kiss:

to add to this, if there was a way of making every car accident non-fatal, there will still be fender-benders and people going off the road and into a ditch, even if they don't die.

that's the best equivalent i can come up with.

I'm having post-traumatic stress just seeing those unbelievable pics. I fly on A320s regularly (last time for LaGuardia was Sept) and I have an intense bridge phobia because my worst nightmare is going off a bridge or road into the water...sinking...in a car...in frigid water.

Heroic landing and miraculous rescue effort :applaud:

I'm having post-traumatic stress just seeing those unbelievable pics. I fly on A320s regularly (last time for LaGuardia was Sept) and I have an intense bridge phobia because my worst nightmare is going off a bridge or road into the water...sinking...in a car...in frigid water.

Just take it lightly and don't think about it.

Are you my twin? Truly, these are my biggest phobias. When I was kid driving with my family across the James River Bridge would leave me practically debilitated. I couldn't even look out the window. I am generally very calm in a crisis and I can only hope I'd be as courageous and strong as these passengers. I have absolutely no fears around flying, though. :shrug:

Watching the pictures on TV of the passengers standing on the wings of the plane in the water ... that is truly amazing.

And I fully admit my lack of knowlege of physics or anything else that would explain this, but was anyone else stunned to see how long that thing floated? I guess sometimes I look at giant tankers on the water and are amazed that they float as well. ... and also amazed that the big hunk of steel and metal can FLY.

It boggles my non-scientific mind.

And I fully admit my lack of knowlege of physics or anything else that would explain this, but was anyone else stunned to see how long that thing floated? I guess sometimes I look at giant tankers on the water and are amazed that they float as well. ... and also amazed that the big hunk of steel and metal can FLY.

well, as long as the fuselage wasn't ruptured, the general idea of a plane is to be able to keep all of the air in when it's at altitude, so it doesn't surprise me that if you can get one down in one piece that it's possible to keep it floating.

but i was damn surprised that it took forever before it was close to going under.

the more i think about this, the more it strikes me as the story of the decade, that not only did a water landing work, but the plane stayed in one piece. i can see how they managed to land it, tail first, but...it's just that damn impressive.

:hug: :hug:

I used to live where I could walk just 3 blocks and see the Hudson River heading up past the Bronx and into Lower New York State (very beautiful area by the river) .
:bow: The Rescuers!!! :yes:

:doh::doh:

How could I have forgotten the :bow: Plane Crew!!!

probably because going onto FYM - I hadn't heard about it! I was :yikes::yikes:

I used to live 3 blocks away from being able to see the Hudson :heart: River.

I'll see tonight at home just where it landed.

Are you my twin? Truly, these are my biggest phobias. When I was kid driving with my family across the James River Bridge would leave me practically debilitated. I couldn't even look out the window. I am generally very calm in a crisis and I can only hope I'd be as courageous and strong as these passengers. I have absolutely no fears around flying, though. :shrug:

Oh yes, I can name and describe all the bridges I was tortured on as a child having lived on an island lol.

Normally flying doesn't phase me at all, not even over water although I've had some scary landings and aborted landings from wind shears. Funny that it doesn't bother me since I have recurring dreams about witnessing plane crashes so this may add a whole new dimension. That's just PEACHY.

Especially since no one was seriously hurt, I'm very curious to hear passenger stories.

HOW did I know you would come in here and defend planes. lol.

I totally understand this. Planes just freak me out. I cant help it. I know the statistics are that plane crashes are very rare, and you're more likely to die in a car crash, but planes just terrify me. I think its the feeling of 'no control' and that your life is in someone else's hands. Add to the fact that you're thousands of feet in the air (that alone trips me out) and the chances of actually surviving a crash are slim to none. The pilot is truly phenomenal and a real hero. He definitely deserves some kind of award for that. It truly is a miracle that everyone survived.

HOW did I know you would come in here and defend planes. lol.

Just doing it in good nature though. I understand the fear. :)

I checked back through the fatal incidents since 2002, and there has only been three incidents in the U.S. where airline passengers died. All were on smaller regional aircraft (two on turbo props and one jet). A total of under 80 people. By no means do I want to minimalize that number or those deaths, but when you figure that around 580 million people fly each year in the US, 80 seems like a pretty insignificant number. Your chances at winning the lottery are better!

I know Ian would like this picture...a shot of the A320 in the Hudson with the planes on the deck of the USS Intrepid (SP?) Museum in the foreground:

ra621378244.jpg

As soon as I heard of this, I was amazed at WHERE the pilot landed. You have to be somewhat familiar with the NY area and where the Hudson is in relation to LaGuardia. Pretty impressive...especially knowing he had to clear George Washington Bridge "on final."

Back
Top Bottom