US Airways plane crashes in Hudson River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevated_u2_fan

Blue Crack Supplier
This is all that is available on CNN.com currently:

Emergency officials are responding to a downed plane in the Hudson River in New York City, according to the city fire and police departments. The FAA confirmed US Airways Flight 1549, an Airbus A320 headed from New York's LaGuardia Airport to Charlotte, North Carolina, was down in the river following a failed takeoff. The U.S. Coast Guard said units were also responding, and a ferry on site was dropping life jackets into the water.

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

Terrible...

From AP:

US Airways plane goes down in Hudson River
7 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — A US Airways plane has crashed into the Hudson River, sending passengers fleeing for safety in the frigid waters. Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown says the US Airways Flight 1549 had just taken off from LaGuardia Airport enroute to Charlotte, N.C., on Thursday when the crash occured.

Brown says the plane, an Airbus 320, may have been hit by birds.

New York City firefighters are responding to the crash. It was not immediately clear if there were injuries.

Witness Barbara Sambriski, a researcher at The Associated Press, said, "I just thought, 'Why is it so low?' And, splash, it hit the water."

The Associated Press: US Airways plane goes down in Hudson River

I just saw this :yikes: They had pictures up of the plane just on the surface of the water, so one would hope passengers were able to get out.. :shrug:

Wow. Those people will have quite a story to tell!

Thank goodness everyone is (apparently) okay. The US has gone quite some time without a commercial plane crash.

i'm never laughing at the safety card showing people calmly exiting a floating plane again.

i thought it was pretty much impossible to land a plane with underwing engines on water, safely. that is a stunning piece of airmanship from the pilots.

The pilot, the crew, the FDNY, the police and the shuttle boat captains :up: all did a amazing job. Heroes all!
Glad everyone made it out alive.

Not the right day to read about a plane crash involving the mention of New York. Glad it's a totally different flight and no fatalities.

I work at the airport as a customer service agent, but I could never work as an attendent on the plane. I would be so scared.

If I was on the plane and after all is said and done, I've said my thanks, I'd be pretty excited to tell this story to all the people and.. come on now.. it must have been one hell of a thrilling experience.

Massive credit to the pilot!

He did an amazing job

Amazing no one was killed

I'd literally crap myself if i was on that plane!

i'm never laughing at the safety card showing people calmly exiting a floating plane again.

i thought it was pretty much impossible to land a plane with underwing engines on water, safely. that is a stunning piece of airmanship from the pilots.

Aren't most underwing? And why does this make the difference?

Back
Top Bottom